View Full Version : Adjusting Convergence.

consoleguy67
09-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to know; can I use an allen wrech to adjust the coils in the convergence board, or am I going to get knocked on my behind?:yikes: It's for my 1964 Magnavox roundie combo. Thanks.

Frank

holmesuser01
09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
No. The wrench will affect the convergence. You need to get plastic adjustment tools for them.

Are you able to get a good crosshatch pattern from a dot-bar generator? I'd be very wary making adjustments on this board.

zenithfan1
09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Not only will it affect the convergence as you adjust, it can easily break the slugs inside the coil. I second on the plastic tools....

DaveWM
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
yep use the proper tool or you will just make things worse when the slug breaks up.

consoleguy67
09-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks. I'll look for a set of adjusting tools. I have some, but my set is not complete.

AiboPet
09-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Dunno what they are REALLY called.....but when I was in school back in the '80s and working on convergence, they were called "diddle sticks"...at least by my instructor.

Sticking anything metal in there changes the field of the coil and you CAN'T adjust it. You take the metal tool out and the value goes off.

sampson159
09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
we used to stock "diddle sticks" by the thousand back in the day.i was the set up tech back then and it seems like i could never hold on to one for a whole day.found a bazillion of them in my washer pump once!never use anything metallic in those slugs.not only will it give you a false adjustment,the coil will heat up and eventually melt the plastic.spray a little electronic cleaner and lube in the coils to unfreeze them.get the proper tool and adjust a way!

reeferman
09-12-2012, 07:29 AM
I used to call diddle sticks "money". When I was going to school at the U of Mo some guys would occasionally drag sets into the shop and tell me how to fix them. I would give them the "if you're so smart then why don't you fix it" look.

I'd ask how they knew and some they said they were an electrical engineer student, instructor, professor, or had a friend who was. I'd ask them if they adjusted any coils (IF, etc) on the chassis (with a diddle stick). Most would fess up but there were some who wouldn't.

My apologies to the EEs out there.

mstaton
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
I think Radio Shack still carries them. They are called TV alignment tools.

AiboPet
09-12-2012, 12:30 PM
For SURE the Tandy Store (Radio Shack) still has 'em. I was looking for some other stupid stuff there and SAW these and snatched 'em up even though I didn't even need more of 'em.

Radio Shack seems to be shrinking (for like ten years now at least)...and caters less and less to hobbyists. I still go there to get the little pack of jumper wires with the little alligator clips (GREAT for benching solid state chassis)..and assorted little antenna needs and adapters.

Tom S
09-12-2012, 06:57 PM
I can't forget removing a back of a set and finding a diddle stick still in the set left by the last servicer. Along with flashlights, cigars ashes,change and other tools. Always a plus to find more tools. LOL.

ChrisW6ATV
09-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I have worked in the same place for many years. A couple of times, I have found one of my OWN adjustment tools in the width coil of a monitor I had to fix again a few years later. Usually they were brittle from the long-term heat.