View Full Version : xl100 score

sampson159
09-09-2012, 07:13 PM
picked this up today at the etf.this is a nib rca xl100 ctc 58.been in storage for about 5 years now.steve mcvoy let me have this for a donation.i have its brother that is my nightly watcher and am very happy to have acquired this set.
the set was gently brought up on my variac and produced a sharp,sharp picture.it amazes me how these old rca xl100s really produce!we were so stuck on the sylvanias in the 70s but where are they?other than the beauty i got from bryan gadow,i really havent found any.i will restore the cabinet.it got some damage from storage but a i pleased to have this set after all these years
thanks steve and thanks for letting me see that westinghouse 15 inch color set in operation.the "wizard of oz" never looked better!

RobtWB
09-09-2012, 07:33 PM
wow ... nice ... have always been a fan of the XL100 line from RCA

I to was fortunate enough to find a NIB XL100 console that I have posted somewhere on this site ... mine resides in the living room but it is not the daily driver ... that honor falls to a 36" Sharp crt set ... the XL100 I use with a VCR for my VHS collection

your set is remarkably similar to another XL100 I have and have posted here as well ... a 1975 CTC 58N ... one of my all time favorite sets ... got a replacement set of the slider pots for the aux. controls from bgadow and works as close to 100% as a 37 year old set can ... great color and sharp picture... your sets front looks identical to mine ... does your set have the slider pots?

bgadow
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Those sets both survived storage real well-did you have to do any touch-up to the controls? I still have an image of that other RCA in my head, just as nice a picture as I can imagine on something from the 70s-or any CRT set, really.

If I ever get to Columbus again I'll have to toss the 21" table model Sylvania in the back of the truck. It really needs a good home.

zenithfan1
09-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Hey Ron! I remember that set, I'm glad you got it home and it works so nice. Great picture!

Jeffhs
09-09-2012, 10:35 PM
I saw a remote control on top of that TV, though I also saw two tuner knobs on the front panel. Does that remote go with the TV, or is it for something else, like a cable or satellite box? I somehow can't imagine a TV from the '70s having a motor-driven VHF tuner; I always thought by the late '70s, most TV manufacturers had abandoned mechanical tuners for varactor electronic ones, which can easily be controlled by a simple remote control system. Of course, these days the VHF tuners on old TVs are of little or no use since all television is digital, so that tuner would be set to channel 3 or 4 and left there, the channel tuning and TV power switching, not to mention volume control, being done by either a digital cable/sat box or by an OTA DTV converter. These come with basic remotes for all functions I mentioned, so there is no need for the TV's original remote except for such things as color/tint/brightness/contrast adjustments.

mstaton
09-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Very nice pic on that set! pretty impressive. :)

sampson159
09-10-2012, 05:46 PM
thanks to all.the remote goes to the converter box.it does have those pesky sliders and i had to get a set from bryan gadow for my other set too.he is the go to guy for xl100 parts.cabinet actually cleaned up nicely but the speaker cover was mangled.i will be looking for one of those also.could straighten out if nothing available.this is my garage watcher.

bgadow
09-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Sadly I think you guys got all the sliders I had, or almost all. (I may have held one or two back) But the guy I got 'em from kept a nice supply of parts on hand. Lots of small parts-coils, diodes, etc, from the 70s. I've saved and inventoried it all. I also kept the factory service manuals. I don't plan on ever needing them myself but if anybody needs a copy for something from the 70s/early 80s, let me know. If I still have it I'll pass it along.

DavGoodlin
09-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Nice set Sampson! I rescued enough of those when delivering new stuff in the mid-80's and it seemed the CRTs were never beyond help, so I did the usual and re-sold them.

The 25" XL-100 sets had delta-gun CRTs, but didn't the 15" versions (thinking of some I serviced) have a one-gun CRT?

I sold enough of them years ago, but the 19" sets had the one-gun also, right?

snelson903
09-12-2012, 09:37 AM
im surprized to see the sale sticker's still on it ,looks like it went from display to storage .

rcaman
09-12-2012, 04:48 PM
here is my rca ctc68 that my grandmother bought new. i completely restored it and installed a new rca dark face crt. new slider controls and anything it needed i too the set completely apart washed the chassis and done a howards restore on the finish. it has a great picture. steve

rcaman
09-12-2012, 04:50 PM
here is my rca ctc68 that my grandmother bought new. i completely restored it and installed a new rca dark face crt. new slider controls and anything it needed i too the set completely apart washed the chassis and done a howards restore on the finish. it has a great picture. steve

that is my other tech in the picture lucy she helped a lot.

rcaman
09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
couple more pics

snelson903
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
hey that rca and my sear's silvertone have the same look .

sampson159
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
well,the bliss was short lived.i went to the kitchen for some coffee and when i returned.no high voltage.changed out tripler and that got it going again but no vertical deflection.module,transisters are all good.have to pull the chassis and run it down.didnt see anything blown or swelled up.hopefully it not a pin amp transformer or something i dont have.this set uses a ctc58 chassis.its a bare bone set just like the other one.my donor set is a 19 inch set that uses an inline crt.same tripler and vertical transistors.might need a sams on this if anyone has one available.never did see the rest of the game!

wa2ise
09-12-2012, 07:46 PM
You know about this, but do be careful that your kitty cat doesn't go noseing around the chassis when the TV is powered on. And cats like to rub their chins against various objects, hopefully not objects carrying high voltage...
http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=176133&d=1347487222

AiboPet
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Service tech opens your set, sees a black cat....."Well THERE'S yer probbblemmm!!"

rcaman
09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
i would never power a set up with my putty tat in there......

rcaman
09-12-2012, 09:18 PM
well,the bliss was short lived.i went to the kitchen for some coffee and when i returned.no high voltage.changed out tripler and that got it going again but no vertical deflection.module,transisters are all good.have to pull the chassis and run it down.didnt see anything blown or swelled up.hopefully it not a pin amp transformer or something i dont have.this set uses a ctc58 chassis.its a bare bone set just like the other one.my donor set is a 19 inch set that uses an inline crt.same tripler and vertical transistors.might need a sams on this if anyone has one available.never did see the rest of the game!

fixed one years ago for the same problem seems like a resistor opened it was on the circuit board with the mak and mal & video out boards. steve

rcaman
09-12-2012, 09:45 PM
i am almost sure i circled the bad resistor in the schematic. i will look tonight or tomorrow for that schematic. i believe it was a resistor off the video line. it ran me in circles which is not hard to do anyway. lol steve

rcaman
09-13-2012, 03:36 AM
didn,t find any notes on my schematic.
is your service switch contacts CLEAN

rcaman
09-13-2012, 03:48 AM
i did not finish before the post uploaded ??
anyway check r609 33k r620 820k on the circuit board with the service switch
magoo1 voltage pinouts
pin3 ground
pin 4 30.6v to sweep
pin 6 31.6 to sweep vertical output transistors
pin 7 8v to height control
pin 8 30.6v
pin 10 83v b+ in
pin 127.90v v sync
maybe this will get you started in the right direction
steve

sampson159
09-13-2012, 10:51 AM
thanks for info.service contacts are clean,transistors are good.i checked them in another set.have to get moving on this.it is my daily watcher in the garage and i spend more time there than i should!i will keep you posted on progress.nib doesnt mean much after 38 years in storage!

bgadow
09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Ron, I'm not sure that I have a Sams but I should have a factory manual for it. I'll mail it to you if needed.

sampson159
09-14-2012, 07:33 AM
i ll take it, bryan.i was out at devry yesterday and they have every sams that has ever been printed,except the ones for early to mid 70s xl100s.looks like someone else had an issue with these sets.

bgadow
09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Check the exact chassis number, there should be a suffix. The Sams index lists two different versions and I suspect the factory manuals break it down further.

ctc17
09-16-2012, 12:25 AM
The tripler failed so you changed it now you just have a vertical line? Thats an interesting one....
The output transistors may be good but one of the small ones on the module may have failed. I have seen that in the xl100s.

If you need a scan of the vertical circuit i can do it in the morning?:nono::tresbon::banana::banana::nono::smok e::smoke::smoke::smoke::D:banana::banana::tears::y es::boring::banana::scratch2:

sampson159
09-16-2012, 08:31 PM
i tried the module in my other set.its good.transistor are good also.i will try the yoke this week.set is a ctc 58 chassis.i can use that scan.thanks to all!

ctc17
09-18-2012, 07:51 PM
http://boxcarcabin.com/ctc58.gif
http://boxcarcabin.com/ctc582.gif