View Full Version : sear's silvertone tv

snelson903
08-28-2012, 08:17 PM
i got this from another vk member in the spring of this year ,its a heavy monster that desided make freinds with my fooooot. he had it stuck in the way of other projects ,so i took it off his hands first thing i did was put wheels on it. i checked out that extra plate cap that we were talking about ,its for a tube that looks like a 6dw4 but with a cap 6dL3 tube with a cap, and tube top ripped off clean. i repaired the loose socket and temp. jumpered the tube until find another 6dl3 buts its alive agian ,got to still go through all the color clean up yet ,but i have never seen a 6dl3 tube.

Username1
08-28-2012, 08:53 PM
very cool lookin' tv!

snelson903
08-28-2012, 10:16 PM
its the only one i have every seen ,dont know much about who manufactured it, or much yet i was later going find a schematic on it, right now im just moving tv's left in the garage to the basement for winter project's. you know , squirrel them away for winter. i know one thing for sure that tv's out to get my foot.:D

Glenz75
08-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Thats a great looking TV! :yes:

Einar72
08-28-2012, 11:18 PM
but i have never seen a 6dl3 tube.

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tube-6DL3-RCA-NOS-Vacuum-Combine-shipping-/120914706619?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c271400bb

Or one with the correct branding for a little more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NOS-TUBES-SEARS-6DL3-VINTAGE-/280770785627?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item415f3e315b

Good luck, that's a nice TV.

wkand
08-28-2012, 11:19 PM
It is a great looking TV!!
What is the collective opinion? is this a Warwick or Wells-Gardner manufactured set?

I say Warwick.:yes:

Year? 1971-73 maybe?

Boobtubeman
08-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I was thinkin SEARS with RCA gibblets... It was the 6BK4 rect that threw me, then again i dont see the 1V2 stickin out the side like a typical RCA has :D

Controll pannel looks like a Sears i worked on in Highschool... a LOOOOOOooooong time ago :D

SR

snelson903
08-29-2012, 03:16 AM
before i went to bed last night , for the heck of it i checked my parts supplier for tubes ebay, i like to buy large lots of tubes test and rebox them .iv been doing that since i was a kid collecting tubes , i noticed that it was a common tube it looks like ,i also noticed that russia sells alot of those tubes, did everyone see the case of tubes from ussr, does anyone know if thats a popular tube in there equitment made in russia. the more i see that tube maybe i do remember that number, ill look in disorganize stock of tubes before i order one . lol

snelson903
08-29-2012, 03:23 AM
I was thinkin SEARS with RCA gibblets... It was the 6BK4 rect that threw me, then again i dont see the 1V2 stickin out the side like a typical RCA has :D

Controll pannel looks like a Sears i worked on in Highschool... a LOOOOOOooooong time ago :D

SR

hay boobtubeman while your there ,all iv been waiting for is my son was going to bring home from work a large amount of bubble rap for that tv .

ctc17
08-29-2012, 05:54 AM
That's one of the very last tube sets. What's the modEl

snelson903
08-29-2012, 07:23 AM
That's one of the very last tube sets. What's the modEl

i found a repair order on it from 2/15/79 model # 528-43150038 it was sold or serviced in niles mich. not to far from me. its kinda funny i to go a 100 mile to bring it back were it started, im not sure were it was made tag says sears roebuck of chicago. so mybe its lived its life in a circle. lol

dieseljeep
08-29-2012, 09:04 AM
It is a great looking TV!!
What is the collective opinion? is this a Warwick or Wells-Gardner manufactured set?

I say Warwick.:yes:

Year? 1971-73 maybe?

528 is Warwick's source number. I might've been built in the southern plant by then.
I don't think Wells-Gardner ever built anything for Sears! Sears had a bad reputation with their suppliers. :sigh:

snelson903
08-29-2012, 09:33 AM
528 is Warwick's source number. I might've been built in the southern plant by then.
I don't think Wells-Gardner ever built anything for Sears! Sears had a bad reputation with their suppliers. :sigh:

it seems to be a pretty good put together chassie nice and neet looking ,and the looks well built . it sure needed wheels on it.

sampson159
08-29-2012, 07:32 PM
those sets were seldom seen here in columbus.there were a few and were very good performers.i especially like the silvertone crt.apparently rca but still produced a good looking picture.nice cabinet style too.it a keeper!

holmesuser01
08-29-2012, 09:06 PM
I had more trouble with these 528 sets in my time at Sears than all the others.

They were really good at pins breaking between tube sockets and PC boards, and generally developing bad solder connections anywhere the board was flexed.

It's always interesting to see one of these old sets that wasn't run to death 18+ hours a day and generally burned up by its owner.

Wonder how strong the CRT is?

ctc17
08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
I was looking at a sams for something real close, maybe same chassis. It was dec 72. Seems they really started to go down hill the last hybird ones and there aint many left. I would almost say they are rare now. Easier to find a color roundie than one of these.

These house sets are cool, been looking for a Pencrest or one of those other house brands and then never turn up.

Eric H
08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I used to see those fairly often when I worked for the TV shop back in the late 70's.
Hard to forget the tilt out control door.

snelson903
08-29-2012, 09:57 PM
really cool i ordered a new 6dl3 today for it ,ill go over it with fine tooth comb and hang on to it .i havent had much time but i like to have a complete schematic for it.

snelson903
08-29-2012, 10:11 PM
i quess now i dont feel so bad ,when i was moving it i have a large flat skat board looking cart i move tv's with no wheels on them,that sucker slipped out while i was hafe way on and fell face down , luck would have it MY FOOOOOT SAVED IT from hitting the floor ,after i did the tootsie dance i got back on the skat board tv didnt have a scratch on it. i thought for sure that slide out tuner hit the floor but it didnt ,thats why i gave it its own set of wheels now.

ctc17
08-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Send me a list of all the tubes on the chart and maybe post some pix of the chassis. Ill see if the one i was looking at is the same or close. Sams lists that as an oem manual but i can usualy find something that will work.

snelson903
08-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Send me a list of all the tubes on the chart and maybe post some pix of the chassis. Ill see if the one i was looking at is the same or close. Sams lists that as an oem manual but i can usualy find something that will work.

ok ill do that. thats about the best that camera can do,i hope its clear enough.

ctc17
08-29-2012, 10:46 PM
I get why they stuck with the tube audio out for so long....to time delay the audio. Byt why the tube tuner?
Was it just about using cheap left over parts or what.

snelson903
08-29-2012, 11:16 PM
oh im sure they where not going to waste any money,car industry does it all the time, thats what the bean counters are for,just look what gm did late 70's into most of the 80's with just bolts one car could have hafe standard thread ,hafe metric nothing gets wasted.

holmesuser01
08-30-2012, 07:16 AM
Sears didnt toss anything. Even in the early 90's, our location had a full compliment of tubes for sets that Sears sold. I helped inventory them twice.

snelson903
08-30-2012, 10:43 PM
wow in the 90's ,wonder were the stuff that was just never sold ended up by now ,sounds like they still had a lot of parts that were probley never going to be used.

Electronic M
08-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Pretty cool!
That set looks like one miniman82 had/has.

snelson903
08-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Pretty cool!
That set looks like one miniman82 had/has.

yep ,he needed it out of his way ,i was on the hunt for any tv with tube's ,my dad age 78 was planning a dirt biking trip out west with his buddy's. lol my dad got a ford econ.converted van 89 that was sitting for 10 yrs ,he replaced all 3 fuel pumps and did other work to it, and needed a good test drive .so we took a ride up to miniman82 place and picked up that heavy monster. while me & dad was there nick showed us his vary nice tv collection and made me more on the hunt for color roundie's ,that's kinda why im just now getting around to looking at this tv ,it was the first one in the garage. and its last one out. lol i collected this summer all these tv's iv been showing 4 color roundie's, i dont even remember how many b&w some roundies, i just keep stuffing in a storage room in the basement till winter time.

Electronic M
08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Nick was going to scrap it not long after I last saw it in person if I or someone else did not save it. Half of me is glad it got saved and a small part of me is sad that he did not scrap it as he was going to give me the CRT which I could use in one of my sets that is working only marginally even with the CRT on a brightener.

snelson903
08-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Nick was going to scrap it not long after I last saw it in person if I or someone else did not save it. Half of me is glad it got saved and a small part of me is sad that he did not scrap it as he was going to give me the CRT which I could use in one of my sets that is working only marginally even with the CRT on a brightener.

i think i may have a perfect one in another tv .