View Full Version : Anybody ever totally fix a Maxent MX-50X3?

CoogarXR
08-19-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a MX-50X3 that is giving me the blues...

When I bought it (cheap and defective), it started out with the black screen with a flickering horizontal line occasionally. I know about the capacitor on the mainboard that goes bad on all of these. I popped a new cap in there, and it has a perfect picture for about 20-60 minutes depending on the ambient temperature. Once it heats up, the picture stays, but I get a random horizontal line flickering across the picture every couple seconds.

I have since recapped about 1/3 of the surface mount caps on the mainboard. Usually on the MX-42X3, the one cap fixes it. This MX-50X3 must have another magic bullet lodged in its nervous system somewhere.

Anybody dealt with this model? It's a panasonic-based TV, and I am 98.3% sure the problem is on the mainboard.

freakaftr8
10-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Yes! Reflow the main IC between the surrounding caps. This is a problem I have found. Its a pain but it will solve the problem. Early ROHS sucks.

CoogarXR
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Got any tutorials on the reflow? Is it like the heat gun method like they do on PS3s? I have two mainboards, so If I kill one I won't be too sad.

Funny you should answer me today, I was just thinking about tossing that TV. I am getting sick of seeing it in my shop, reminding me every time I see it, that I can't fix it ;)

If I can fix it after all this time, that would be awesome.

freakaftr8
10-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Just get some flux around the leads and a fine point tip soldering iron and fan the pins vertically.