View Full Version : 1983 13" Mitsubishi score for a buck

zenithfan1
08-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Yep, couldn't pass it up for a buck. My wife found it on a dollar or less stuff for sale thing on Facebook. I cleaned it up a little, it's from a non-smoker and only has the fluffy dust inside that I have not cleaned out yet. I noticed the vertical is not full when first powered up so a few caps will have to be changed. It didn't quite fill the screen when warm either so I adjusted the hight and linearity for now. The remote is still with it (surprisingly) and also in good shape. I like how it has a little pocket on the back like 60's sets did. It's in a wood cabinet, not particle board but has vinyl veneer. If it ever gets a deep scratch, I'll put real veneer on it. Not my usual time period for collecting but it's a cool little set, and I do like small screen Japanese tvs. This set was assembled in the USA but a look inside says we didn't make any of it, all Japanese. It's also the oldest cable ready set I've picked up in years, and the first remote set I've picked up in a long time. For some reason, I just never run across many remote sets unless they're BPC. Sorry the pics aren't all that good but I had to take them with my MacBook, my good Sony camera was stolen a while back. I haven't been able to afford a new one with all the things that have been going on. At least I figured out how to flip them from being reversed images:D
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at806PM.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at808PM.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at807PM2.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at823PM.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at759PM2.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at800PM.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at809PM.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/zenithfan1/Photoon8-10-12at807PM.jpg

mrflex65
08-11-2012, 05:46 AM
Nice find! I have always liked the blue phosphor crt's on the mitsubishi's...:yes:

ctc17
08-11-2012, 08:58 AM
I have one of those with rotary tuners. I usually would dump anything that new but these are some of the best sets made. The crts last forever and are so bright and sharp

radiotvnut
08-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Nice score! Once you work out the minor details, that set will be good for another 30 years. I agree about Mitsubishi CRT's. I don't recall ever seeing a bad one, not even on the later '90's models that were full of bad caps.

compucat
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
That is a beautiful set and would have been considered high end for its time. No doubt that was a more expensive 13" set than others of the day, comparable to the 13" Sony Trinitrons. Mitsubishi sets of that era always had great pictures. A wood cabinet on a 13" set was a rare thing by then. Even today's flat panels would look great if they dressed them up with brushed, anodized aluminum bezels.

Jeffhs
08-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Even today's flat panels would look great if they dressed them up with brushed, anodized aluminum bezels.

Insignia comes close with the accessory bezels offered for their flat screens. These aren't metal or anything fancy, but I think they do look better than the stock bezel, which is flat black and not much to look at. My own 19" Insignia flat screen looks like that, but I make up for it by putting the set on a wood stand. One of these days I may get an accessory bezel to make it look a bit nicer.

BTW, I looked up the accessory bezel for the 19" Insignia flat screens (I think it only fits one model), and it's metallic gray. Would make any jet-black Insig FS look better than the flat-black stock bezel. I'll look at the list of models it fits; if mine is among them, I may get one.

Flat black seems to be the preferred color scheme these days for just about everything associated with computers, sound or home theater: TVs, computer CPU towers, keyboards, monitors, printers, stereos, home theater 5.1+ channel audio systems, you name it. I wonder why. For computers, this color scheme is known as "business black", while there is no such designation for televisions or home theater gear; the latter is also offered almost exclusively in jet-black cabinets. Best Buy's metallic-gray bezel for its flat-screen TVs is an improvement over the black stock bezel, but other gear in nondescript black cabinets could use a similar makeover as well. What is this obsession with black, anyway? :scratch2:

mrflex65
08-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Just found his bigger brother..:Dhttp://raleigh.craigslist.org/zip/3198996670.html

zenithfan1
08-11-2012, 11:50 PM
I'd like to have that console Mitsubishi! Thanks for the compliments too. It's an 80s set but there is something I really like about it. I too like the blue CRTs in the 80's Mitsubishis. CTC17, you're definitely right about those CRTs being BRIGHT and sharp. Text is amazingly clear on this thing, the crappy pics don't do it justice. It's almost HD quality when hooked to the converter box. The vertical collapsed last night, I'm glad I took the screen shots when I did. I figured it would soon, I could tell there is some bad caps in it right off the bat. It looks really simple to change 'em out though and won't cost very much either. I'll add them to the order I'm about to put in for my Sansui 9090DB driver board. I'll put Nichicons in there.

ChrisW6ATV
08-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Those Mitsubishis were the only sets that could compete with Sony Trinitrons in their glory days.

dieseljeep
08-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice find! I have always liked the blue phosphor crt's on the mitsubishi's...:yes:
I don't think it was the phosphors, It was a blue safety glass.
Wasn't it simular like the GE neovision. :scratch2:

mrflex65
08-12-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't think it was the phosphors, It was a blue safety glass.
Wasn't it simular like the GE neovision. :scratch2:

Thank you for that info! I never knew that. I always thought it was the phosphor coating that gave it that color.....:scratch2:

Komet
08-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Nice set! Some years ago I found a 1979 (I think) Mitsubishi, I've gifted it to a friend

PS: Excel Saga! :thmbsp:

zenithfan1
08-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Yep! Excel Saga!:D

Komet
08-12-2012, 07:08 PM
And Puni Puni Poemy :D:D

zenithfan1
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I didn't care for that one though, after the laugh riot that was Excel, it was quite a let down. :sigh:

Komet
08-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I still can't watch it, it's so disappointing?

zenithfan1
08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, there was a young genki girl that I can't remember her name that was so ANNOYING! Her voice was just so bad. The story line was all over the place and it just didn't even compare with Excel Saga, I guess some like it but it's just not for me. If you get a chance, check it out and see what you think...

Komet
08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Ok, stay tuned
Today I started to watch Idolm@ster.
Ami & Mami rulez.

Eric H
08-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Egads, they're speaking in tongues! :D

"Yep! Excel Saga!"
"And Puni Puni Poemy"
"Ami & Mami rulez"

dieseljeep
08-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Getting back to the original post, I'm another victim of the Dollar TV syndrome. They breed like rabbits. :yes:
It seems that over the state line, all the AC recepticles are mounted horizontally. :boring:

zenithfan1
08-13-2012, 12:15 PM
You're right Dave! As I look around my apartment, there are little 12"-13" Japanese solid state sets everywhere! I used to only have one:D Didn't pay much more than a buck a piece for any of them, they just sort of followed me home. They work great too. Color roundies are like that for me too, I have like 12 of them. Back in '07 I had one.....

Dreamsbeard
04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
This one is for Zenithfan1, Look what I picked up for free last week :D

It has a foldover problem, but it's probably the caps, crt is nice and strong!

zenithfan1
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Nice set, recap the vertical and it will be like new. I have to do the same to mine, the vertical collapsed on me a while back..... These Mitsu sets are nice but a lot of them had crappy caps.

Dreamsbeard
04-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Will do! strange thing I noticed , It was made by ...Electrohome (Dec. 84), they really where big in canada!

Dreamsbeard
04-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Can anyone help me find a service manual for it?

Thanks!

sampson159
04-26-2013, 08:52 PM
the famous blue diamond picture tube.delivered excellent images,far superior to other sets on the market at the time.never saw one of these break down.of course,here in cols,ohio,there werent many of them.i always wanted one but the money just wasnt there.now the money is no problem but sets arent there!

Rod Beauvex
04-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Damn, you guys are making me want my 1584r back. I once saw a console version of it, and I want it plenty.

I also agree that Mitsubishi made some of the best sets.

dieseljeep
04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Does anyone have a Mitsubishi set built in the mid 90's?
The remote must have a separate button for the color setting menu. I tried a universal remote but I cant get into the picture quality menu. The universal remote menu button only gets into a basic menu for channel scan, clock set, etc.