View Full Version : part two of the zenith pulled out of the barn

snelson903
08-06-2012, 08:24 AM
well after getting the cabinet all finished ,i have been working on the chassie off and on removing the bad from the good ,and cleaning rust . i guess i will start with the pictures of it before i started .

snelson903
08-06-2012, 10:42 AM
here are more pictures of just trying to remove rust. after useing a toothbrush size wire brush and comprest air , i got down to bare metal . i was really surprized that most all the tube sockets were rust free and clean ,but i still cleaned them all out with a tourch tip cleaner/file and air.but anything that was close to the edge was so rusty and froze up i had to just replace with new like circuit breaker new service switch extr.

snelson903
08-07-2012, 07:58 AM
i thought before i replaced all of the pots / switch's/ circuit breaker/ that i would paint the chassie with rust o leum its the first time i ever had to paint one, but being the rust pits and sanding it down to bare metal i couldnt leave it ,it would just rust again its suppose to be the close's to chrome that you can get out of a can ,but i dont know about that.

DavGoodlin
08-07-2012, 08:20 AM
That is NICE work there!
Are you sure you need to replace all the pots?
I have had a few TVs over the years I found in trash dumps, etc that were rained on snowed on etc.
I was VERY surprised at what did not get ruined. Sometimes just a cleaning with Lube-a-trol did the trick.

snelson903
08-07-2012, 08:21 AM
i was checking all the resisters before i reinstall the flyback and found the one that hv anode had overheated and instead of being 1500 ohm it was now 600ohm, it cooked it self to hafe its value. i have a few question's about that resister that is in series with the hv anode ,i was going over other schematics that have the 21'' crt color roundie most dont seem to have a resister there ,are they trying to slightly drop voltage there, is that the reason it was overheated like that .was there a update in later models that changed it or removed it all together , another thing i noticed is that on the solder joint at one end of the resister were the resister and two other wires connect they had so much solder on it that it made contact with the metal tube socket mounting ,and it looked like there had been alot of trail sparking going on between the mounting and the tube socket ,im assuming that could have contributed to burning that resister.

snelson903
08-07-2012, 08:25 AM
That is NICE work there!
Are you sure you need to replace all the pots?
I have had a few TVs over the years I found in trash dumps, etc that were rained on snowed on etc.
I was VERY surprised at what did not get ruined. Sometimes just a cleaning with Lube-a-trol did the trick.

well the pots are still up in the air i got them to move and was going to try to clean them first but the service switch and the circuit breaker i allready replaced them ,they where bad shape. this time im ahead of the pictures im already finished with the recap and im going to modify the hv cage alittle make it alittle more service freindly .

Sandy G
08-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Amazing what a little "Elbow Grease" & careful attention to detail can accomplish...

snelson903
08-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Amazing what a little "Elbow Grease" & careful attention to detail can accomplish...

lets change that to alot of sandpaper and wire brush ha ha [grin ]

consoleguy67
08-07-2012, 09:12 AM
It looks great. You must have a lot of patience.

cwmoser
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
That is a nice Chassis restoration.
Extremely nice.
I think though I would use semi-gloss black on the
Power Transformer instead.

I just restored a Philco TV and took the "creative license" to paint the Flyback cage a dark gold color.
I kinda like that. My first TV restoration had two heavily rusted chassis's. I spray painted the
Power Supply chassis and brush painted the TV chassis.

I like your before and after photos - amazing how you restored that.

BTW, what model TV is that?

Carl

Sandy G
08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
You must have an excellent ability to look BEYOND the dust, rust, & birdshit & see what a set COULD become...(grin)

snelson903
08-07-2012, 12:20 PM
That is a nice Chassis restoration.
Extremely nice.
I think though I would use semi-gloss black on the
Power Transformer instead.

I just restored a Philco TV and took the "creative license" to paint the Flyback cage a dark gold color.
I kinda like that. My first TV restoration had two heavily rusted chassis's. I spray painted the
Power Supply chassis and brush painted the TV chassis.

I like your before and after photos - amazing how you restored that.

BTW, what model TV is that?

Carl

yeah i was thinking about semigloss ,but when i started looking at what black paints i had at 12:00 at night my choice's were metal flake semigloss or flat black , i didnt think the metal flake would go with the decore l. o. l

snelson903
08-07-2012, 12:22 PM
You must have an excellent ability to look BEYOND the dust, rust, & birdshit & see what a set COULD become...(grin)

oh yeah that comes from working on people's car's for living . [ grin ]

rcaman
08-07-2012, 12:54 PM
awesome job. now get rid of those camel cigarettes. i quit and you can to. keep up the good work.

Kevin Kuehn
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Your painted chassis looks great. What a labor of love you have going on with this set - just amazing all the effort that's gone into this. :yes: And actually the original Zenith power transformers that I've seen are very flat black.

mstaton
08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Looks very nice Snelson. I need to paint the chassis on my Philco 50T soon. It is in worse condition than yours. You had a LOT of masking to do. Yes, you have lots of patience. Cant wait to see it running.

snelson903
08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
awesome job. now get rid of those camel cigarettes. i quit and you can to. keep up the good work.

i know they've been a pain in the but most of my life, i went three yrs without smoking until this artheritis showed up in my spine, and living in pain 24 7 they seem to help with the pain for some reason ,i ask my spinal surgen about that too, he said he's hurd of that but no-one knows why, there a whole artical about that at the govern. cdc web site that talk's about that.

snelson903
08-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Looks very nice Snelson. I need to paint the chassis on my Philco 50T soon. It is in worse condition than yours. You had a LOT of masking to do. Yes, you have lots of patience. Cant wait to see it running.

i found if you get that masking tape that has about 50 % less stick sure help's too. some of that tape sick's to good you pull of more than you want. l o l

snelson903
08-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Your painted chassis looks great. What a labor of love you have going on with this set - just amazing all the effort that's gone into this. :yes: And actually the original Zenith power transformers that I've seen are very flat black.

yeah its kinda a labor of love , and part i can only stay in bed about 3-4 hour's a night , i get up at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning working on it , one good thing it nice and quiet then .lol

snelson903
08-07-2012, 06:20 PM
i have some pictures of the underneath i didnt restuff these can's ,i have a few reasons why the main reason is i want be able to get them easyer pluss there is alot of extra room down here.now the two 1000 volt caps are used ones and are tempary they checked out good but there the only 1000volt ones i have and there in a spot i can easly get at after the chassie back in. i still have a few smaller caps to check or replace i think theres about 5-6 left i havent check yet.the bottom cleaned up pretty good im afraid to tell how i cleaned it was pretty dirty. at the point these pics were taking i havent replaced any of the service switch or circuit breck yet.

Electronic M
08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Never trust those white tubular caps! I installed a NOS 3KV unit in place of an original 2KV unit in the vertical of a roundy it SHORTED and SMOKED a power resistor! this resistor was on the other side of the vertical transformer primary from the cap, and I count my lucky stars that the resistor blew before the transformer could!

This may or may not help you with your arthritis, but many folks of eastern European dissent who get what seems to be early onset arthritis actually have a solenacious(I can't spell it right :p ) plant allergy. And if they stop eating potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and other plants in the nightshade family for a prolonged period then the arthritis symptoms go away. My mother and late grandmother on moms side both have that allergy. Mom will, because of cravings, only eat a french fry or two every couple of months and if she has too much she will start to taste the solenine...

snelson903
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Never trust those white tubular caps! I installed a NOS 3KV unit in place of an original 2KV unit in the vertical of a roundy it SHORTED and SMOKED a power resistor! this resistor was on the other side of the vertical transformer primary from the cap, and I count my lucky stars that the resistor blew before the transformer could!

This may or may not help you with your arthritis, but many folks of eastern European dissent who get what seems to be early onset arthritis actually have a solenacious(I can't spell it right :p ) plant allergy. And if they stop eating potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and other plants in the nightshade family for a prolonged period then the arthritis symptoms go away. My mother and late grandmother on moms side both have that allergy. Mom will, because of cravings, only eat a french fry or two every couple of months and if she has too much she will start to taste the solenine...

do you know you can find a good deal on 1000 volt cap's or more ,iv seen those ones that are 1600volt every once in awhile those id like to get. my degenerative autheritis is kinda complicated , they say iv actually warn the vertabra out, but my disc for the most part are fine i been to three surgens and they all agree . i took a bone scan and the ones that were thin lit up on the mri ,the bones in my neck are calcified but the most pain is in the middle of to the right my scapula will swell from artheritis ,working on cars you make the same movements all the time and your arms are over your head most of the time ,i used to dirt bike alot up north had a few accidents they think i fracktured my neck once ,its hard to say why i got it i guess worked hard played hard .

DavGoodlin
08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
i found if you get that masking tape that has about 50 % less stick sure help's too. some of that tape sick's to good you pull of more than you want. l o l

Painter's tape comes in smooth white and crinkly blue. It is great for this application. It wont leave anything behind if it stays on too long like common masking tape.

snelson903
08-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Painter's tape comes in smooth white and crinkly blue. It is great for this application. It wont leave anything behind if it stays on too long like common masking tape.

your right i used the blue works good for masking no glue residue

snelson903
08-09-2012, 03:38 AM

yeah i guess you can say that ,eversince i was young ,i had my own mot-o if i cant buy it ill build it ,you wouldnt beleave the things i have built, and something's i have sold now, but you think i was lie-ing to you

snelson903
08-16-2012, 10:49 PM
here is the other thread charlie ,ill post somemore later i have doing other things havent been able to stay on it.

uxwbill
08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
It's very nice...no, it's amazing...what you have to done to bring this TV back. I can't wait to see it when you get it working again!

:thmbsp: :thmbsp:

snelson903
08-17-2012, 03:26 PM
i havent been able to stay on it like i want to, i got side tracked on another color roundie deal with a guy on ebay . he was selling this zenith, its already somewhat restored ,he was selling it to raise money for carpenter to build him a bar ,well after i rebuilt about 90% of that tv cabinet i thought what the hech, trade me the zenith and build him a bar, so it took about 3 weeks and his bar was ready. had to replace the crt socket then i was ok , its almost like the one i pulled out of the barn ,alot less crap though. lol i spent alittle time fixing the focus problem & bringing the color back on the zenith ,it had a loose socket on 1v2 tube ,and other small details but the focus is there now ,ill finish the set tomorrow .

snelson903
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
ill mess with this zenith while i wait for some caps for the barn zenith.

Kevin Kuehn
08-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Dang, that's a real nice bar. :thmbsp: Nice new TV too.

snelson903
08-19-2012, 03:49 AM
Dang, that's a real nice bar. :thmbsp: Nice new TV too.

yeah mybe start a new buss. tv repair and bar building. lol

Magnavox300
10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
I didn't know this part 2 thread existed....
I kept looking at part one, waiting to see the progress.
The chassis looks great, did you get this set together and running yet?

miniman82
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I didn't know this part 2 thread existed...

Probably because it should be in the early color forum like the first one, I know people get tired of hearing me harp on this but it really does make searching for lost threads easier if they are in the correct forum. Don't mind me, I'm a little OCD. I like things to be in their proper place.

snelson903
10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Probably because it should be in the early color forum like the first one, I know people get tired of hearing me harp on this but it really does make searching for lost threads easier if they are in the correct forum. Don't mind me, I'm a little OCD. I like things to be in their proper place.

had to stop working on it for the moment ,got winter stuff to finish ,like firewood / finish a couple of outdoor projects, but as soon the snow starts ill be back at it ,i be warm and hopefully left alone around here.

VA561
10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Amazing transformation! It probably looks as good or better than when first manufactured. Would like to see pictures when everything is finished.

snelson903
10-11-2012, 03:17 AM
i know i figured it out after i did it , or really started paying attenion to it, i aways thought that b&w projection was like the channel 19 of videokarma everyone just talking about whatever subject, from toco's to pizza ,ooh sounds good pizza im hungrey.:D

DavGoodlin
10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
i know i figured it out after i did it , or really started paying attenion to it, i aways thought that b&w projection was like the channel 19 of videokarma everyone just talking about whatever subject, from toco's to pizza ,ooh sounds good pizza im hungrey.:D

Yes, this is the most interesting one. i drool way too much when looking thru early color.:drool:

zenithfan1
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Would you like me to move the thread to the Early color forum?

snelson903
10-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Would you like me to move the thread to the Early color forum?

if thats where it should be, its fine with me.