View Full Version : Loading troubles on a Quasar VH5846XE

NJRoadfan
07-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Picked one of these up at the thrift store. It caught my eye because it supported both Hi-Fi stereo AND linear stereo audio tracks. It seems to power up ok, and all the belts are intact. Problem is the loading mechanism doesn't seem to work. I can manually engage the loading motor by turning the worm gear it drives by hand (seems to toggle a switch). Other then that, no other life out of the loading system. Does anyone have a service manual for this chassis? Its the classic early 80s Panasonic design with 3 belts and a rubber idler.

Looks like this: http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/quasarvhsvcrmodelvh5846xe.html

Tony75
07-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Don't get too hung up on getting a service manual, often they aren't all that useful for this sort of gear anyway, unlike a car.
First of all check voltage to the load motor. If no voltage there check all switches that would be closed due to the insertion of a cassette.
I like those chassis, not that we got Quasars here, we had Nationals.

NJRoadfan
07-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I know the manuals aren't all that detailed. What I'm after is a manual that covers the mechanism. All of Panasonic's later models usually are broken into two manuals, one specific to the VCR, and one that covers servicing and adjusting the main chassis.

That being said, It appears that the loading mechanism on this VCR is somehow disconnected from the motor and worm drive. I can put a tape in and have it drop onto the reel table without any resistance,even with the unit off. I have to take the whole thing apart and see if a gear is broken or missing. Normally when you put a tape in a VCR, the loading tray pushes against the loading motor gears and triggers it to load a tape. The loading motor does activate and has power if I manually turn the worm gear and toggle the switch.

NJRoadfan
07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Found my problem. The plastic piece (circled) broke off of the large gear (arrow). There is a 1985 era GE branded Panasonic chassis VCR at the thrift for $10 that I might have to cannibalize for parts. I'm guessing someone tried to force a tape into this machine with it off and kept on pushing until it broke! :eek:

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175462&stc=1&d=1342567430

I have to say, this machine was easy to take apart. 5 screws hold the front cover on, and 3 screws hold the loading mechanism.

xargos
07-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Ouch! I hate to see a beautiful machine like that broken. Especially in the case of a Panasonic-built deck that can handle both the Hi-Fi and linear stereo! I know that I would be running right to the thrift to pick up the other deck for parts.

Let us know how it goes!

andy
07-18-2012, 08:23 AM

NJRoadfan
07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
A 1985 deck will have a different loading mechanism.

Got an alternate source for parts? I don't even see a part number on the gear, one reason why having a service manual is handy.

Ed in Tx
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Maybe this will help...
VMLS0320 is the wiper gear R itself, VXLS0296 is the assembly.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/tblazed/FL-assy-Pana.jpg

NJRoadfan
07-19-2012, 07:44 PM
That looks like the part. I see places claiming its special order, hopefully some one can actually get it. I'd rather not crazy glue the piece together!

Ed in Tx
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
That looks like the part. I see places claiming its special order, hopefully some one can actually get it. I'd rather not crazy glue the piece together!Crazy glue wouldn't hold it anyway. Wrong kind of plastic for super glue. Only thing to do is to replace it.

duckland 23
01-07-2014, 11:08 PM
I know its a older post But I was wondering if you ever fixed it .Just wondering so I own the same mosel VCR FROM Panasonic/Quasar Model VH5846XE . Im having Hifi audio problems .

snelson903
01-08-2014, 04:56 AM
Found my problem. The plastic piece (circled) broke off of the large gear (arrow). There is a 1985 era GE branded Panasonic chassis VCR at the thrift for $10 that I might have to cannibalize for parts. I'm guessing someone tried to force a tape into this machine with it off and kept on pushing until it broke! :eek:

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=175462&stc=1&d=1342567430

I have to say, this machine was easy to take apart. 5 screws hold the front cover on, and 3 screws hold the loading mechanism.

YEP, thats what some people do with things if it dont fit just try harder to make it fit.

NJRoadfan
01-08-2014, 03:06 PM
I know its a older post But I was wondering if you ever fixed it .Just wondering so I own the same mosel VCR FROM Panasonic/Quasar Model VH5846XE . Im having Hifi audio problems .

I haven't bothered to look at it. It got buried in a corner before Sandy hit and I haven't unearthed it yet. It isn't a priority at the moment, particularly because sourcing the part is looking difficult.

duckland 23
01-11-2014, 09:11 PM
You want to sell it to me . I could use it for spare parts to fix mine .

duckland 23
01-11-2014, 09:14 PM
NJRoadfan@

Let know so I can get back to you on it .