View Full Version : Trying to identify this Emerson

DWTravis
07-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Hi Fellas,

I've never used a forum before and I hope I do everything correctly here. I'll start out with the story. When I was younger me and my grand father used to hang out together. While he would watch tv I would play old video games. We did this alot. I had an old Emerson 13 inch tv. Someone borrowed it without my permission one day and I never seen it again.I was hoping one of you kind gentlemen could help me figure out what the model number and year of production was. If I had that information maybe one day I could find another. I will attempt to put the link here and hope it works.

http://camstamper.com/IMG_0401%20%281%29.JPG

I really appreciate any help at all you may be able to offer. Thank you for reading this, guys. Have a good day!

freakaftr8
07-08-2012, 11:53 AM
The link works good. I've seen this model before. Looks like a later 80's set. Welcome to VK! The people here are awesome and knowledgeable. Kinda like a online family. Someone should have your answer.

radiotvnut
07-08-2012, 01:26 PM
My Dad bought a set like this, around '87, to replace an older dying tube set in our motorhome. I don't remember the model; but, I think he paid $149.99 for it. About a year later, it started arcing due to a bad solder connection on the flyback transformer. Once that was fixed, the TV worked fine until we got rid of it in the late '90's.

Those seem to be fairly common sets and I've passed up quite a few of them over the years. If I see another one, I can get the model number from it or even buy the set if the price is right.

I remember the one we owned had a very nice picture.

lnx64
07-08-2012, 01:42 PM
My grandfather had an Emerson that looked nearly identical to this, but had a digital LED readout tuner.. It was a fantastic set till he got rid of it. I remember when it was turned on you'd hear these relay clicks..

Eric H
07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Is that picture of your actual set? It looks larger than 13", maybe just the perspective?

DWTravis
07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow, after a nap I reloaded the page and had 4 replies.

freakaftr8, Thank you, I had read some responses to other threads and everyone seemed nice, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

radiotvnut, I spent more time in front of mine than is healthy for any age person. It worked beautiful for the old Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. I've been all over the yard sales here in Eastern North Carolina, no such luck yet. I'm willing to invest a pretty penny in something that would bring back the nostalgia of those days.

Inx64, When I would pull that knob and the screen would come on, I would hear this humming sound. Very hard to explain but something I don't seem to forget from that era.

Eric H, Well, it is not of the actual set. I started out my search on Google. I spent a great deal of time on the Google Images page, maybe 10 hours or so in all. Somewhere along the way I ran across this picture, it seemed all too familiar. It is a really large picture. I'm pretty sure it is the 13 inch though. I'm glad I was able to find one in such good detail.

I e-mailed a company called Harry Poster, the guy that responded highly recommended this place. I hope he knows that I am thankful.

lnx64
07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
My current Samsung makes the same type of humming.. I think it's the degaussing coil.

AiboPet
07-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Yup...the "grunt" would most likely be the degaussing coil, until the thermistor heats up and cuts it out like a second later.

Had to replace this thermostor as one of the VERY first TV sets I ever worked on...an old Mitsubishi. I remember wondering why the colrs were getting weird, then learned how to degauss the set myself (so it was "fixed" for a month or so). When I finally got into it and found one leg "popped" on the thermistor, I realized after replacing that...that the "hum" (or what I thought was more of a grunt)....was the degaussing coil.

If you MOVE a color set while it's on, the colors will likely get "splotchy" as the mask is warped by magnetic field changes. Turning on the set when NOT warmed up will degauss the mask and fix this.

(I know...all you veterans know this WELL already :-P )

lnx64
07-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Hmm, I still have to degauss mine when I move it when it's off, even though I can hear the coil.

Faulty coil?

radiotvnut
07-08-2012, 08:39 PM
The coil is probably OK. The only thing it might be is a bad solder connection on the thermistor or a thermistor that has degraded and falling apart (seen this problem a lot on '90's era RCA's). Otherwise, there is probably a strong magnetic field in the area that's effecting the TV when it's moved.

AiboPet
07-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Do the OLD sets like the roundies even have a built-in degaussing coil?

I've really only worked on sets from the '70s up.....and almost ALL my collection is very small b/w sets from the '60s-90s. I do have one little 6" Sanyo combo color set that actually has a degaussing button. The little JVC CX500 briefcase may have one as well, but I haven't looked. I do know that the little Magnavox 5" set I had to tear down for parts (basket case), didn't even HAVE a degaussing coil. I thought that was just part of a color TV all along and was surprised not to find a little 6" degaussing coil.

I remember degausing a set with a fish tank air pump once. Almost ALL of those fish tank pumps are just big 'ol electromagnets.

Back to the subject of this Emerson set though. I thought I knew of one of those when I first came to the states. The one in the pic is almost certainly this same set I remember at a friend's house. That set would lose the red gun and they kept SMACKING it to get the red back. I really wanted to work on it to get them to STOP doing that. Almost positive this was a 19" set though. They replaced it with a Sony WEGA set that to this day....turns ITSELF on and off all the time :-P

DWTravis
07-09-2012, 03:01 PM
You know, the tv in the picture very well could be a 19 inch I suppose. But the 13 inch I had looked identical to this tv in the picture. There is no way I could forget the familiar face of this tv. Just setting eyes on it would make my day. Pulling that knob and hearing the vroom sound, I knew it was game time. If I hadn't been only 14 at the time, I'd of had a beer and that would of been relaxation time.

radiotvnut
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
They did make a 13" and a 19" version of that set. Our 13" set had the name badge below the CRT. The 19" sets had the badge on the speaker grille.

Jeffhs
07-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi Fellas,

I've never used a forum before and I hope I do everything correctly here. I'll start out with the story. When I was younger me and my grand father used to hang out together. While he would watch tv I would play old video games. We did this alot. I had an old Emerson 13 inch tv. Someone borrowed it without my permission one day and I never seen it again.I was hoping one of you kind gentlemen could help me figure out what the model number and year of production was. If I had that information maybe one day I could find another. I will attempt to put the link here and hope it works.

http://camstamper.com/IMG_0401%20%281%29.JPG

I really appreciate any help at all you may be able to offer. Thank you for reading this, guys. Have a good day!

I had a 19" color Emerson that looked a lot like your b&w set, only mine had electronic up/down scan tuning and a remote. The set worked well and had a beautiful picture, but would shut itself off during violent thunderstorms. The storm didn't have to be strong enough to cause a power outage; all it took was one good hit nearby, and out went the set. The problem wasn't lightning hitting near the antenna, as my TV antenna at my previous home was in the attic at that time. Nearest I can figure is perhaps the TV's auto-power-off circuit, which would turn off the set 15 minutes after the station to which it had been tuned had signed off (the first and only TV I've ever had with that feature), was being fooled into shutting off the TV during lightning storms -- at least that's what I thought it was.

In any event, I never figured it out, but the TV worked well otherwise and was my daily watcher until I got a Zenith table set as a birthday present in 1995. By then the Emerson set had developed a problem and was no longer watchable (probably power supply failure or maybe that pesky shutdown circuit--who knows anymore), so out it went, in came the Zenith and all was well until I moved to an apartment four years later. That set is still in my bedroom here and still connected to cable, but since getting a flat screen last year I haven't used the Zenith, except to test it occasionally.

BTW: Were the 19" Emerson color TVs of the late '80s-'90s prone to catastrophic failures such as occurred with my set? How about the random shut-off during electrical storms not strong enough to cause power outages? I've wondered about the latter for some time, as that set was the only one I ever owned in my life that would do this.

holmesuser01
07-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Yes, the old roundies eventually had automatic degaussing. Had a CTC-16C RCA that had it.

bgadow
07-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Emerson had some really big sellers on their hands with sets like this. A lot of the discount department stores (Kmart, Ames, Woolworths, etc) carried them. I agree that this looks like the 19" but no matter...would you say the square pattern around the knobs is correct? It shouldn't be too hard for one of us to find one, given some time. A 13" is pretty much the largest set that is practical to ship. Pack it right and you can send it via parcel post.

DWTravis
07-10-2012, 06:45 AM
It has been more than 10 years since I've seen that set. It seems like the pattern I saw around the knobs was more of a smaller red square instead of large silver square, but that could be imagination at work. The key give away is the orange Auto Color button and the Power Knob has the red dot in the center. I do know from looking they made one with a green dot in the Power Knob, that's not it. Regarding someone running across one, I would happily compensate them for their troubles. I was just hoping to get a model number, maybe then I could find one on a forum somewhere perhaps.

DWTravis
09-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Well, it's been 2 and a half months and no reply. I was going to give it time before making an offer. I certainly hope it's not against the rules. If anyone finds one in really good condition I would happily compensate them $150. You may contact me directly at dwtravis (at) yahoo (dot) com or reply to this post. I would give my phone number but I don't want any spambots calling lol. Thank you for all your replies and all the help so far guys! I hope the offer does not offend anyone, that is not my intention. I've looked and looked to no avail.