View Full Version : Motorola VT-71 1N34 component box

Mars777
07-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone:

I have been checking for out of tolerance resistors in my TS-4J late referencing a Sam's photofact schematic.

There is a box housing the 1N34 in between the 3rd video IF and video amp stages. In the box, (on the schematic), it looks like there is some resistors, capacitors, inductors, & the 1N34.

With all of your experiences with TS-4J is it worth it to take it out and take it apart to measure the resistors and replace the capacitors in there? They made the box for a reason. Is the physical placement of the components in there critical? Is the whole thing potted? I haven't started to do anything with the box as of yet.

I'd really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks!

Tom Albrecht
07-01-2012, 01:47 PM
In my experience, the only component in that box that is prone to failure is the diode itself. I can't recall ever needing to change any of the resistors or caps in there, although I wouldn't be amazed to find a drifted resistor there.

I would particularly avoid replacing capacitors in there, since that could disturb the alignment.

mstaton
07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
You will need to do a complete alignment from beginning to end if you start messing around in there. Maybe just try it without first and see how it looks. You still may need an alignment anyway but not to the same extent. It's not potted, it's just a shield to keep other rf signals out.

Mars777
07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks Tom!

Yeah, I was wondering about alignment issues also. I think that I may just avoid that box all together and just restore the rest of it. If I can't get the TV to play correctly after alignment I might then look into that box later.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

Mars777
07-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks mstaton:

Well that answers the potted question!

Also thanks for your feedback on the alignment issue. I'd much rather NOT do a "complete alignment from beginning to end" because of my messing around in that box! This is why I am asking in the first place before I contemplate on getting in there...

mstaton
07-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I wont hurt to take a look and check the diode. if there are paper caps, then they have to be replaced but dont think there are any in there. Peeking inside for curiosity's sake wont hurt anything

Mars777
07-01-2012, 02:23 PM
To mstaton:

Looking at the schematic there is 3 caps in there. A 15pf, 5pf, & a .001uf. The 2 small ones are most likely ceramic but the .001uf may be paper. I might look in there just to check it out after all, without disturbing the components physically.

Does anyone out there know if you can see the components from the bottom of the box if I remove it from the chassis?

Thanks

bandersen
07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Here's the inside of that box.
http://www.bobandersen.com/images/7VT2%20restoration/23-04.jpg

Mars777
07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Bob:

Have you ever tested or replaced any of the components in there? If you did, did you notice it really screws up the alignment badly? In other words, is it worth messing with?

Thanks for your reply,
Tom

Mars777
07-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Bob:
PS Mars777 = AntiqueRadio&TV

bandersen
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
So many screen names to remember ;) No, I've never bothered to test or replace anything in there.

Mars777
07-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah Bob, I think I joined this forum before I made my channel. I gotta change my name here to lessen the confusion.

I think I'm not going to touch the components but add to my order the .001uf & 1N34 just in case I need them in the future if I have problems.

Thanks,
Tom