View Full Version : How can I be so STUPID!

AiboPet
06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I took apart an old RCA "Luna" clock/radio/TV unit about three months ago. Today, I managed to not only FIX the TV (it's modular), but ALSO got the little flip clock to free up AND stay on time for at least a couple hours so far! (I'm REALLY stoked to finally HAVE a working flip clock!).

NOW...I'm PISSED...at MYSELF!

I always manage to KEEP all the little projects neatly in it's own little box...or at LEAST it's own place on a workspace. I somehow have LOST the little aerial that was on the back of this Luna.

I know it's not actually LOST, for this set has not really GONE anywhere.

I'm gonna post a 3D image of my WHOLE apartment...and one of you can just IM me when you find this antenna for me :-P

Oh....it's silver, and about a foot long...GOOD LUCK LOL!!!

All just joking of course. I just feel STUPID and felt I wanted to vent. I may have the antenna SITTING somewhere with an alligator clip on it using it on some OTHER project (stupid idea). Just can't figure out WHERE yet.

Eric H
06-24-2012, 05:02 PM
I've wanted one of those RCA's since I saw one torn apart in my Electronics Shop class back around 1975, it would have been practically new then!

I don't understand the Flip Clock craze, I know the Back to the Future Flip Clock sells for big bucks but the rest?

I hated those things back in the day, I was so glad when LED clocks became affordable (got mine from the "Junk" table at Radio Shack).

The constant hum and the creak,creak, creak, CLICK, creak, creak, creak, CLICK, creak, creak, creak, CLICK, of the flippers would keep me awake at night. :D

AiboPet
06-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Okay....cancel the milk carton pictures

FOUND the stupid thing....in a toolbox of course. RIGHT where it DOESN'T belong (of course). Thanks to all those that joined in the search. There will be hot coffee and donuts when you get back to base camp :P

Pic of RCA Lunar (Not "Luna" as I thought)...model # AS 059Y...from 1974. of course I can't get away without mentioning that the Sony S8-301W sitting on top of it, is running pretty good after it's recap. The Sony is still a bit fussy though. It may still be in need of some attention, but I'm happy with it for now. I no longer have to wait ten minutes to get a REAL fussy picture. I can now get a SOMEWHAT fussy picture after about a minute.

The RCA's little flip clock IS still keeping time, so I guess the secret to these is CLEANING them...and NOT putting any oil or anything in them. They appear to work JUST fine if just simply cleaned well, unless of course it's broken (which this one wasn't.....just the motor was "frozen")

stromberg6
06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey, Happy you found it! :banana: I'm guilty of misplacing parts, but have become much better at not doing so in my old age lol. Neat TV combo! :D
Kevin

AiboPet
06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm only bad about misplacing parts if I get into a set and DON'T work through it 'till it's done. Learned to start keeping empty boxes, bins and pill bottles around just for setting aside projects if I need to.

I do find I have to start and FINISH a project within a week or so, or I'll start forgetting where I took screws out so they go BACK. I really should document more.

This RCA clock/radio sat around some because I wanted to TALK to a couple clock people about how best to get the little flip clock working again. BOTH my clock friends (one of them nearly a hundred years old) said to deffinately NOT go "lubricating" anything. He said that is almost how ALL clocks are ruined. MOST clocks only need cleaning....ever.

bgadow
06-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I have one of these but there is a tiny plastic gear which has gone bad; it basically falls apart if you do anything with it. I was hoping it would be listed in the RCA service manual but I dug it out recently and no go. Guess I'll have to try and make one someday. I've had a few flip clocks but never one that was what I would call reliable.

AiboPet
06-25-2012, 06:46 AM
LOL Eric!

I did notice that about the flip clock. I do have it in the FRONT ROOM though for THAT reason. Sounds like a little tiny hamster wheel that NEVER stops and then the little "click" of the numbers. I don't at all hear it in the front room. I just wanted to have one, and when I saw this wherever I saw it (probly the swap meet), I just HAD to have it. It then SAT in my closet for like four or five years before I opened THAT closet and realized I had sets in there. (I had a few sets LONG before I recognized I had a collection).

Sandy G
06-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Been there, done that on "Losing" parts...An' I dunno what's worse-Havin' a thick rug where tee-ninecy screws, springs, oddments fall into, NEVER to be seen again, or a hardwood floor, where they Bounce...Bounce..Bounce into the same oblivion....Gettin' older, havin' Island-Sized Paws FULL of Good Ol' Uncle Arthur, & failing eyesight don't help matters much...MAYBE when I die, I MIGHT be permitted to go to that Majickal Land where Shit Goes To when it Gets lost...It simply HAS to be in another dimension....(grin)

AiboPet
06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Whoever gets there first....will agree to put the whole LOT of this stuff...on ebay, with a good "buy-it-now" price :-P

mercury6768
06-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Glad you found your antenna. What a great little solid state TV combo.

YamahaFreak
06-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Sandy, the WORST is when you accidentally unload the stored kinetic energy of a tiny compressed spring...it goes flying, and it's too tiny to make much noise when it hits something...it's anyone's guess where the hell it ended up, and there's a 99.9% chance you'll never see it again. :dammit:

Ahh, fun times...

Sandy G
06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Naw, the WORST is when you FIND said spring in the fleshy part of yr Foot...at 3AM on a Going-to-the-Can trek...

old_tv_nut
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
I had one of those "cannibal" rug experiences with a jigsaw puzzle piece. A oriental-pattern rug, friends over to put together a world'sfair puzzle while a world's fair travelog plays on the vintage TV. A year later, after fruitless search and many passes with the vacuum cleaner, I dropped a book flat on the rug and saw something jump out of the corner of my eye - there it was!

It's gremlins, I tell ya!

YamahaFreak
06-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Oh yes, we've all been there before. I'm going to start finding a LOT of things I've not seen in years when I start cleaning up the back room soon...

Sandy G
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Think I opined Over Yonder that when I Shuffle Off this Mortal Coil, I HOPE I'm allowed to go for a brief visit to that Majickal Place where Stuff Goes When its Lost...I'm sure it must be in some alternative universe/another dimension... And the inhabitants are, of course, all FRENCH, & are taunting & dropping Shit on us like they did in "Monty Python & The Holy Grail"...That would about be Par for the Course...

cbenham
06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I somehow have LOST the little aerial that was on the back of this Luna. I know it's not actually LOST, for this set has not really GONE anywhere.I may have the antenna SITTING somewhere with an alligator clip on it using it on some OTHER project (stupid idea). Just can't figure out WHERE yet.

Hmm. Do you have a cat? My cats think everything small, bright and shiny is a toy I provided them just for their fun and amazement.

Today, I found several small missing parts under the sofa and inside the hall closet on the floor where they 'hid' them in their private collection. They especially like tape recorder pinch rollers because they roll when batted with a paw. Endless amusement.

Cliff

AiboPet
06-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I gave up cats a few years ago...and yeah, You can spend 15 dollars on cat toys...soak them in 10 dollars worth of catnip, and they would rather play with the little thing that comes off the gallon milk jug when you open it.

Spend $300 on beds and places for them to lay around.....but COX cable brought them their FAVORITE little cat bed and hooked it up to my Samsung TV. Before that....they would rather lay on my nursing notes if I have them in a nice little pile on the coffee table.

I love the cats.....I miss the cats, but I now have hardwood floors in a RENTED apartment, so I have been afraid to find a cat again.

I do go see my old cats though. Ativan, Xanax and Percodan are all doing just fine at two other friend's house :)

I did just find a "jesus clip" in one of the fish tanks though. One of the ten or so I've lost in the last couple years...somehow knew it WOULDN'T be lost if it landed on hardwood floors, so it made SURE to land in the 46 gallon bowfront. Also found an old "eject mechanism" spring BEHIND that same tank...which I had lost when working on a GE 3" color TV/boombox/micro cassette about three months ago. YAY!!!

YamahaFreak
06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
A very close friend of mine has three cats...they're like furry nuclear reactors--they're always energetic, and getting into trouble. We compare them to Samus Aran's 'Screw Attack' ability from the Nintendo 'Metroid' game series: both have been referred to as 'a mobile ball of deadly energy'. :D Indeed, everything from screws to vacuum tubes is considered a cat toy. Any small, shiny object is fair game!

Sandy G
06-28-2012, 06:11 PM
"We are Si-Ah-Meeze if you Plee-uhz...We are Si-Ah-Meeze if you DON'T pleeze..." Remember THAT one from "Lady & the Tramp" ?!? Cats are Eeville, just WAITING for the time they can jump up on you when you're fast asleep & Suck all Your Breath out...(grin)

Electronic M
06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
I gave up cats a few years ago...and yeah, You can spend 15 dollars on cat toys...soak them in 10 dollars worth of catnip, and they would rather play with the little thing that comes off the gallon milk jug when you open it.

Spend $300 on beds and places for them to lay around.....but COX cable brought them their FAVORITE little cat bed and hooked it up to my Samsung TV. Before that....they would rather lay on my nursing notes if I have them in a nice little pile on the coffee table.

I love the cats.....I miss the cats, but I now have hardwood floors in a RENTED apartment, so I have been afraid to find a cat again.

I do go see my old cats though. Ativan, Xanax and Percodan are all doing just fine at two other friend's house :)

I did just find a "jesus clip" in one of the fish tanks though. One of the ten or so I've lost in the last couple years...somehow knew it WOULDN'T be lost if it landed on hardwood floors, so it made SURE to land in the 46 gallon bowfront. Also found an old "eject mechanism" spring BEHIND that same tank...which I had lost when working on a GE 3" color TV/boombox/micro cassette about three months ago. YAY!!!

Most of my cat's life has been spent in places with wood floors, and I think wood is better for cats than carpet.....They can't scratch it, and when they have to deal with a hairball you don't have to scrub the puke stain out of the carpet.

Mine rarely messes with my electronics, but likes to lay on my college home work while I'm trying to work on it. She don't need any fancy cat beds the 7"x7"x8' box mom's fruit trees came in has become her favorite spot next to my chair in the dining room(which she always seems to be in around dinner time). She likes drinking straws(she used to fetch them), and string and has been known to collect them under couches. More than any inanimate object she loves small animals...Mice(if she don't eat the ones at the cabin she will be sure to place them or their guts right were you'll step on them barefoot on the way to the restroom in the middle of the night), chipmunks, bugs, squirrels, birds, etc. The only thing of ours that I can recall her absconding with were some metal Risk soldier game pieces.....She would shake the draw string bags open and hide the pointy pieces in lots of places(took us years to find them all) including one of dads shoes(his reaction after trying to put it on was rather amusing:lmao:)!