View Full Version : My video about current Crosley's and other repro junk

radiotvnut
06-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Maybe this will keep a few people from buying these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo6y2S-MTpo

Eric H
06-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Someone on eBay actually has the gall to ask $105 for just the guts for one of these!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New2pcs-Automatic11-turntable-phono-deck-Mechanism-MM-cartridge-stylus-platine-/120934624355?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item1c2843ec63

radiotvnut
06-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Someone on eBay actually has the gall to ask $105 for just the guts for one of these!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New2pcs-Automatic11-turntable-phono-deck-Mechanism-MM-cartridge-stylus-platine-/120934624355?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item1c2843ec63

Direct from China! I wouldn't give $105 for a whole 18-wheeler load of complete, in the box units! They probably want that much for this because it has a high class magnetic cartridge mounted to it.

Electronic M
06-23-2012, 12:04 AM
The Crosleys I've bought new about a decade ago are still in good shape and not quite that crappy, but I really would not accept one free any more as I can still find good cheap used stereo equip from the 60's-80's that is worlds better in both engineering and construction.

radiotvnut
06-23-2012, 12:29 AM
The Crosleys I've bought new about a decade ago are still in good shape and not quite that crappy, but I really would not accept one free any more as I can still find good cheap used stereo equip from the 60's-80's that is worlds better in both engineering and construction.

Yeah, even the lowest cost console stereo from the early '60's will beat a current crosley.

mstaton
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
people will buy anything no matter the quality as long as "it looks cute".

Sandy G
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Somewhere, Powel, Jr., is quietly spinning in his grave...I have a couple of REAL Crosleys-They may have been Cheap when new, but they're still pretty good performers.

snelson903
06-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Maybe this will keep a few people from buying these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo6y2S-MTpo

china's finest, good for the american sheepeople

CoogarXR
06-23-2012, 06:22 PM
I had to work on one of those recently for a stuck CD drawer. What a pain. It is very time consuming to get the "chassis" out. Anyway, long story short, I was excited to finish so I could see what all the hype was about. What a let-down! This thing sounds like CRAP. And I mean crap with a capital "S"! My clock radio sounds better. They sell for tons on ebay though, that's the only reason I would touch the thing.

maxhifi
07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
I see another perspective.

Sure it's cheaply made, but that's just a cassette type motor based cheap belt drive turntable. It looks incredibly similar to the "turntables" in all in one "rack" style systems like lloyds and Candle from the late 80s/ early 90s.

But if someone just wants to play some records they bought at a thrift store - one of these will do it.

Let's be realistic, an old 60s record player may need a recap, a new cartridge, a new idler wheel - if it's a changer a full degrease and re-lube. If someone just wants to play records, and doesn't want a project, or to buy a full blown stereo system it sort of fills a hole.

It may be a gateway to a young person discovering the joy of listening to LPs, or on the other hand allow an older person the opportunity to relive some memories, with minimal effort.

beat_truck
07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
That's true, but for about the same price of one of these pieces of trash they could buy something like an Audio Technica AT LP60 and a set of amplified speakers. The AT has a good magnetic cartridge that tracks at 3 grams or maybe a hair less, built in preamp, and automatic operation. It would sound a LOT better and be much easier on records. The only thing it doesn't do that the others do is play 78s.

radiotvnut
07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
I think Audio Technica makes a Technics SL1200 "look-alike" DJ turntable that will play 78's by holding down both 33 and 45 buttons down at the same time.

maxhifi
07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Audio Technica turntables are surprisingly good value for the money -That's a good point. The only Crosley reproduction I've seen in real life, is the little suitcase style record player at restoration hardware in a tweed case. It looked a little flimsy, but not really worse than the low end one tube record players from the past - and especially better than the "vanity fair" record players from the eighties. I was tempted to buy one, but It's hard to even imagine what I'd use it for. Do those "crosley" cartridges track well above 3 grams?

beat_truck
07-18-2012, 09:51 PM
More like 7 or 8 grams.

maxhifi
07-19-2012, 11:22 PM
More like 7 or 8 grams.

Yikes! OK no way that thing is coming near my records.

Beachboy
09-21-2012, 09:47 PM
For several years, my aunt would give me some repro all-in-one Crosley every Christmas. I think I got at least eight of them, and of course, I acted very appreciative, which guaranteed me another Crosley wonder next Christmas! It hurt me to see her spend so much money on what was essentially a clock radio chassis in a fancy wood cabinet.