View Full Version : eBay Admiral 20X11 home now

Eric H
06-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I ran down this morning and picked up the Admiral I won on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280901413841&afsrc=1

Cabinet is very nice, CRT not so much.

The CRT checked near dead and the cutoff control had no effect at all so I ran the Beltron on it.
The "Clean" function didn't do a thing so I went up to the "Restore" function, as soon as I plugged in the cable the blue lights started flashing like crazy and the current started climbing, it reached the 85mA point very quickly, I did the three times thing with the Beltron and the emissions came up to the good range.

I put it back on the B&K to retest it and sure enough the emissions are decent, however the Cutoff still had no effect and even worse, the needle was moving backwards indicating a short.
The B&K indicated a slight G2 short so I used the remove short function on the B&K, the short cleared right up but the Cutoff still has zero effect, either when setting it or when checking Emissions.
I suspect the tube will work but it's not great.

The set is on the Variac right now with my Diode 5U4 Subber in place, it's at 40 volts and the filter cap was feeling slightly warm, as it cools down I will bump ip the voltage until I feel safe trying a full power up test.

Any way the trip down was worth the hassle, you know those dreams we all have where we find a place with rows and rows of vintage electronics? well this is that place.

Jukeboxes, TV's Radios, Record Players, Speakers Test gear etc...
It's a working repair and restoration shop for Vintage Juke Boxes and Electronics. it was fascinating!

I wish I had bid on his 53 Zenith, it went for $6.00 :sigh: I would have gone $10 easily! :yes:

Boobtubeman
06-22-2012, 06:07 PM
I was eyballing this set but feared it wouldnt survive the trip. Looks sweet :) Stll got my heart set on finding my elusive Motorolas.. Saw both of them once on Ebay, but feared the trip would be fatal to them..

Does that have the 10bp4?

SR

ChrisW6ATV
06-22-2012, 11:41 PM
I am glad you got that set; I have one, too, with a built-in pair of rabbit ears on the back. That should be a nice project.

Eric H
06-23-2012, 12:51 AM
I was afraid it'd get busted too, that was one of my motivations for getting it.

The Variac attempt failed, possibly I was pushing it to fast but more likely the filter is just shot. I put it up to 100 volts briefly and the Can got very hot very fast so I shut it down.
It can wait until my bench is clear to get fixed.

Eric H
06-23-2012, 12:53 AM
The back mentions disconnecting the RotoScope antenna before hooking up an external one.

Did these have an antenna inside the cabinet originally?
This set doesn't have one but the back has a slot where the lever could have been.

bandersen
06-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Neither one of mine has an internal antenna. I've also seen a bunch of console versions and only one has had the internal antenna. I suspect they were optional.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3303/3422039253_9343ea9ca4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70039806@N00/3422039253/)

Eric H
06-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Neither one of mine has an internal antenna. I've also seen a bunch of console versions and only one has had the internal antenna. I suspect they were optional.

Neither of my consoles has that either, interesting though that one of them has a slot for it in the metal back while the other does not.

you're probably right about it being optional, no point in paying for it if you live out in the country where it'll do you no good.

ChrisW6ATV
06-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I just looked at mine; the antenna may have been added by an early owner. It had a brand name "Radion" on it. I will take and post a picture when I can; tonight, I am totally beat from this weekend's Field Day ham radio event.