View Full Version : Thought I Would Have Some Fun With This One

VA561
06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I recently acquired a 1958 Philco Predicta Debutante. The cabinet had a lot of
rust on it and as I was removing the rust I thought, what the heck, I am going to do something different with this one. I was inspired by pictures of 1950's "atomic age" furnishings and decorations. With the danish modern style in mind,
I painted the cabinet a 1950's turquoise color and took the legs off of an old tv stand and used existing holes in the bottom of the cabinet to mount the legs at about 22 degrees. One picture shows the legs without the swivel foot pads and the other with the pads. One thing for sure, it is an experience watching the old Outer Limits show on this tv and man do I get a lot of compliments on this one.

What is funny is that my teenage kids don't think much of my vintage tv hobby but without a doubt, every time their friends come over they all say how "cool" that tv is and are fascinated by it. I just look at my kids, smile and say " your friends said my predicta was cool". That leaves them speechless! :thmbsp:

mstaton
06-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I think it looks neat! A nice change of the ordinary. Like the space age look. :)

Phil Nelson
06-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I actually like those legs better than the factory "Consolette" stand, a bland, cheap looking metal item.

That leg style is in keeping with the times. My 1961 RCA CTC-11 in a black metal cabinet had similar gold wooden legs. I didn't use 'em because that's a much larger, heavier TV and it looked like a whale on stilts when the legs were on.

Phil Nelson

Keefla
06-21-2012, 09:52 PM
I think it looks neat! A nice change of the ordinary. Like the space age look. :)

agree 100%. Super cool looking set. electronically restored too?

Sandy G
06-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Me Likey !

Captain Video
06-21-2012, 10:50 PM
That looks really nice! But, if I might make a suggestion, I would suggest you keep the swivel foot pads on the legs. It only improves the "Jetsons space age look" of the TV.

Magnavox300
06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
That's a cool looking set alright.
Good job on the angled legs.
The swivel foot pads look nice on, at least I think so...

Magnavox300

Eric H
06-21-2012, 11:17 PM
That is very cool, I love the color.
My only thought is I'd look for some of those old tapered iron legs from a 1950's coffee table or something, (like in the picture) have them chromed and put those on there!

It would be horribly expensive and you'd probably have to drill some new holes in the cabinet but it would look pretty cool I think.

cwmoser
06-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Not even close to "fish bowlish".
I like what you did. Very creative and tastefully done.
No different from us using different speaker grill cloths
to replace ratty and unobtainable ones.

Lets let our creative juices flow just short of fish bowl conversions!!

Carl

hi_volt
06-22-2012, 07:41 AM
I like the turquoise. Definitely says '50s.

Sandy G
06-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Even tho I don't have one, a Predicta is kinda what TV collectin' is All About-Yes, Virginia, there ARE alternatives to the ugly grey plastic box that squats in the corner....

Electronic M
06-22-2012, 07:11 PM
I like the way you think.

It looks like some kind of quadroped creature in the middle pic.

Reece
06-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Looks real Jetson's! I vote for the swivel feet, too. Your kids will appreciate it later on.