View Full Version : Cute New Vista put out to the Curb!

NewVista
06-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Was set outside after protracted Estate sale on 86th St (Wauwatosa)

This set is a survivor:
*No basement storage apparent
*No rain outdoors because of drought
*Survived Wednesday's trash pick-up (new recycling law)
*Dodged omnipresent Copper Hunters
*Orig PixTube & Flyback operational

Did not initially produce picture due to bad filament link on PC shutting down Vid O/P
(may explain why it didn't sell)
Kinescope is 21FJP22A HiLite with build date of 66-39
Now Removing CRT for faceplate removal/reattach

Eric H
06-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Nice little set! Glad you were able to save it.

bgadow
06-14-2012, 11:10 PM
No doubt about it, that set was waiting just for you! Great save!

Charlie
06-15-2012, 12:25 AM
That baby is super-clean looking. Is it a CTC16 or 20? Seems like a lot of nice sets have been saved in the past couple of weeks... and many still working! Nice to see we've managed to save 'em!

Captain Video
06-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Cool TV!!!

As Sandy would say... me likey!!!:thmbsp:

snelson903
06-15-2012, 01:21 AM
i like the curb's in your area thats a great looking set. has it always been like this over the yrs with the amount of tv sets poping up on craiglist at auctions or on curbs and ebay .or has it started steadly increasing .because i started about 6 months ago collecting again after many years , thats how i found this website i ran into another member looking for roundies.

Glenz75
06-15-2012, 02:26 AM
It makes me shudder to think how close that set came to being scrapped or wrecked for the copper etc. I think you were destined to save it :yes: Looks real nice too.

ChrisW6ATV
06-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Nice CTC-16X (unless it is a '20). The "Contemporary" (as of ~1965-66) cabinet looks like it is in very good condition.

Now I want to watch some of my Rockford Files DVDs on a roundie TV. :)

marty59
06-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Great save and complete! My bets are telling me it's a '20. Newer style channel selector knob, shorter compact chassis and the flyback is mounted 90 degrees different than a '16 so the cage can be narrow/smaller.

NewVista
06-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Chassis is a CTC20; cabinet is lightweight rib reinforced steel w/ printed
woodgrain finish & 1966 date stamp inside.
Weak Spindly legs not suitable for heavy chassis+tube, but amazingly
survived all that careless moving around & moving out to street!
So this was RCA's budget entry level for color in late 1966 using up stocks
of 21" tubes?

Remnant of Estate price sticker on top front (orig price unknown)
Service Co stickers on back cover + evidence of numerous repairs (attached Electro
and printed circuit work) indicate this was kept running until Cararact made
for absurd Porthole viewing? of Rockford Files:D

DavGoodlin
06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Congratulations!!!

Wisconsin seems to be an old TV lover's heaven of sorts. And you're just north of where the REALLY best ones were made, no less.

PS Nice CRT tester. I built one of those in 1978. After encountering one in the Vocational-Tech shop that fall, I asked "Santa" for the kit.
Then I had to make my own adapters for Roundies, GE sortacolor and the both 1950's (70 and 90 degree) BW kines.

Steve Hoffman
06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Glad you could rescue it from the heap.

ChrisW6ATV
06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
I am curious to know how good is the DC restoration of this set? My restored CTC-16X is quite poor at it, but if I remember right my CTC-16 is pretty good.

Electronic M
06-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Man, I'm just a few minutes west on I-94 and even going to garage/estate sales all I've ever found in the wild TV wise was gutted shells to complete the gutting on (did get a complete '52 Philco split chassis at a thrift once), and you find that one at the curb! Some one must have been hit by the lucky stick......

miniman82
06-16-2012, 12:48 AM
I found a pair of '52 split chassis 16" Philco sets not 5 blocks from my apartment when I first moved here, one was lunched but the other was my first resto.

tvcollector
06-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Something like that to pop up sitting on a curb here in South Florida would be the day hell freezes over.. And if that were to happen it defiantly would not survive the copper hunters..

joemama99
06-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I am in central florida and i think it is worse here-never see a roundie...

snelson903
06-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Something like that to pop up sitting on a curb here in South Florida would be the day hell freezes over.. And if that were to happen it defiantly would not survive the copper hunters..

copper scrapers are just like locust's they come in and strip everything.

Tom S
06-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Sweet set and a great save. Keep the Roundies alive no matter what brand.

Jeffhs
06-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Very few (if any) TVs of any kind show up on the curbs here in my small town 30+ miles east of Cleveland. I've been here 12 years; the last time I saw old TVs out for the trash here was about five years ago, and those were two 25" table sets. I have yet to see any flat screens on the curbs here, and may never see one since most of the big-box electronics stores such as Best Buy offer free recycling of old sets with the purchase of a new one. I don't know for certain, but I think they will accept any type of television -- flat screen or CRT -- and any old worn-out appliances for recycling as well.

It may not be long before recycling of all old electronics and appliances is done routinely everywhere, and with all such equipment. I think the days of simply putting out an old TV for the trash are just about over in most areas, as "recycle" is the watchword these days -- no one likes even the thought of sending an old television to a landfill, and environmentalists are horrified by what such sets are doing to the environment. Even old refrigerators are being recycled by either hhgregg or Best Buy; I have seen a commercial on television showing a refrigerator in a recycling bin, but I don't know offhand which store runs it.

tvcollector
06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I seen a color roundie for the first time on Craigslist here in South Florida, which is the one I got that posted on here a few weeks ago.. It will probably be the last color roundie that will ever be posted on Craigslist in this area..

mstaton
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM
It's the same here in the Boise, Id area. I picked up only 1 Admiral Roundie and never seen one since. As far as scrappers go, they now drive by your house slowly checking out your stuff. I had one come up to my door and ask about a bumper I had on the side of the house. I just told him it wasn't scrap and they went away quietly.

WISCOJIM
11-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Please let me know if you decide to $ell it.

Arcanine
11-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Please let me know if you decide to $ell it.

The set belongs to ElectronicM, and if he decides to sell it after it's working again I'll likely purchase it back from him. I find it to be a very attractive set.

WISCOJIM
11-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah, this is that old thread. I should have been paying attention.

Sorry, not interested.

Olorin67
11-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Nice find.. Only a mile from my house, too

TUD1
11-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Sweet find! I wish I could find a set that nice at the curb! Or anywhere else for that matter.

wa2ise
11-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Today I saw a TV by the curb, but it was just a BPC.

NewVista
11-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Interestingly, the other TV, the CTC 16, also came from Wauwatosa - just a mile east of where this one was rescued! And I just picked up a 3rd 21" from a mile north of the 86th St Estate Sale location where the CTC 20 was abandoned. This was quite the area of middle-class aspirations in the mid-sixties where a budget color set was affordable.

The 3rd set is a Silvertone that also seems to have an RCA - or clone - chassis!

Arcanine
11-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Interestingly, the other TV, the CTC 16, also came from Wauwatosa - just a mile east of where this one was rescued! And I just picked up a 3rd 21" from a mile north of the 86th St Estate Sale location where the CTC 20 was abandoned. This was quite the area of middle-class aspirations in the mid-sixties where a budget color set was affordable.

The 3rd set is a Silvertone that also seems to have an RCA - or clone - chassis!

Probably a CTC15 Clone Chassis.

You gave me the CTC20 for parts for the CTC16 but most, including the flyback were incompatible. And the CTC20 seemed too good to trash it for parts, so I gave it as payment for a massive repair to the CTC16.

When it was stored disassembled two of the coils on the chroma board snapped off. Need to source both of them.

Electronic M
11-29-2015, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I gotta post that want ad for those coils tomorrow....It's a shame they got snapped and the CRT face got chipped. I assume the cataract removal went badly since the serial number of the tube I have matches the chassis, the as found pictures show a bonded cataract, and the tube came with a separate non-bonded type safety glass (a replacement for a destroyed original I presume).......... I sincerely hope that Silvertone gets better treatment than this CTC-20 has seen since you found it...

NewVista
11-29-2015, 08:44 AM
You gave me the CTC20...so I gave it ...

I was not the actual soul who picked up the CTC20 off the street; the guy who did gave it to me!

This could be the most re-gifted roundie in history!

KentTeffeteller
12-11-2015, 08:17 AM
I was not the actual soul who picked up the CTC20 off the street; the guy who did gave it to me!

This could be the most re-gifted roundie in history!

Regifted Roundies, what a concept aka RoundieKarma in action. :tresbon:

Electronic M
01-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Well I got the coils (all $10 of them) to replace the two ruined ones, and replaced the iffy caps (except for the cans), and the vertical is back to being good, but I'm having trouble getting the color to work.

The barber-poleing with the osc. out of sync is very weak, and with it in what I believe to be sync there is little basically no color. To make matters worse the current crop of tubes ESPECIALLY the 6GH8's in the stages giving me trouble were installed by me after I got the set (Arcanine pulled most of the tubes to try in his CTC-16) so I have another variable to worry about on top of the adjustments of those coils....

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/th_DSCN1214_zpsgqkhfstd.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN1214_zpsgqkhfstd.jpg.html)

This set has been so re-gifted because somewhere along it's way here someone turned a decent roundy into a messed up piece of crap... :no:

I hope I can find a way to sort this mess out...

Arcanine
01-08-2016, 12:43 AM
Well I got the coils (all $10 of them) to replace the two ruined ones, and replaced the iffy caps (except for the cans), and the vertical is back to being good, but I'm having trouble getting the color to work.

The barber-poleing with the osc. out of sync is very weak, and with it in what I believe to be sync there is little basically no color. To make matters worse the current crop of tubes ESPECIALLY the 6GH8's in the stages giving me trouble were installed by me after I got the set (Arcanine pulled most of the tubes to try in his CTC-16) so I have another variable to worry about on top of the adjustments of those coils....

This set has been so re-gifted because somewhere along it's way here someone turned a decent roundy into a messed up piece of crap... :no:

I hope I can find a way to sort this mess out...

What about the color adjustment on the front? Did you mess with that to see if maybe it's cranked way off to not display in color? Maybe the pot it self is bad.

Electronic M
01-08-2016, 02:55 AM
What about the color adjustment on the front? Did you mess with that to see if maybe it's cranked way off to not display in color? Maybe the pot it self is bad.

I checked that as a first step (heck I had to find and reattach the leads to it cause they were not attached when I got it), and was trying to follow all the signals with my scope....The problem turned out the be a cracked solder joint on a chroma transformer (not one of the replaced ones) which I found by pure dumb luck....It would appear it probably got caught in the same fuqup that ruined the 2 chroma transformers I had to replace.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/th_DSCN1215_zpsb4s8rlyd.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN1215_zpsb4s8rlyd.jpg.html) http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/th_DSCN1217_zpsu1ohoelm.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN1217_zpsu1ohoelm.jpg.html) http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/th_DSCN1217_zpsu1ohoelm.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN1217_zpsu1ohoelm.jpg.html) http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/th_DSCN1218_zpsgwrxazzo.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN1218_zpsgwrxazzo.jpg.html) http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/th_DSCN1219_zps8rknfd8e.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN1219_zps8rknfd8e.jpg.html)

It is working now (though it could use vertical adjustments, and a dynamic convergence). I took the time to test all the lytic cans and replace the bad sections....As well as replace/remove that dopey taped on/spliced in extra can.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/th_DSCN1220_zpst4pbiza3.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/ElectronicMemory/media/DSCN1220_zpst4pbiza3.jpg.html)

As a final insult (above photo taken after that happened) after mounting the tuner/control sub chassis, and putting the chassis bolts in and back on, the tint control decided to become ineffective (can turn it from stop to stop and no change in tint)....One of the stranded wires of the coax lead to the pot probably broke off while I was mounting the tuner sub chassis...

I'm going to call it done for now, and go to sleep....I'm exhausted.

Dog RCA TVs won't let you find the problem until after you sufficiently insulted them.

BigDavesTV
01-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Looking good, Tom!

dieseljeep
01-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Who referred to the set as "cute"?
The only "cute" set, I have is a "Bratz" TV DVD combination. I picked it up on trash day. The TV works well, but DVD not. Took it apart to see, whats with the DVD. Extremely nasty to work on. I'm giving it to a buddy, he wants it.
I dont know who made it. I doesn't look like a Funai product.

wa2ise
01-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Wonder if the person who put the "New Vista" set at the curb thought "If this set works like Microsoft Vista did, gotta throw it out"... :D

Electronic M
01-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Wonder if the person who put the "New Vista" set at the curb thought "If this set works like Microsoft Vista did, gotta throw it out"... :D

Oh, yes it did. lol.

The tint issue was exactly what I thought it was (wire broke off the pot), I re-soldered it on, and replaced the blown dial light and it's back to working right.

Arcanine
01-09-2016, 12:30 AM
Oh wow. That's really cool to see it's working again.

I was very disappointed to see that the neglectful situation it was stored in did so much damage to it. The set was given to me as parts but it is honestly nice to see it's being brought back to life.