View Full Version : TV set on The Twilight Zone

Glenz75
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi guys, while watching an episode of The Twilight Zone from 1963, I spotted this TV, you can tell its just a super imposed image on the screen. It looks like a Zenith or a Motorola... not sure? Just curious as to what it is. :)

Cheers Glen

truetone36
06-14-2012, 07:08 PM
That's a late 50's Zenith.

Charlie
06-15-2012, 12:30 AM
There were a lot of TZ episodes featuring cool old TV's. I recently saw one in which a husband threw his wife out the window... he watched himself do it earlier on the TV.

THere was also the episode where the grumpy rich guy couldn't make the appliances in his house cooperate... including his color roundie... which he had the TV repairman over taking a look at it. In the end, the old man's car ran over him.

Glenz75
06-15-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks Charlie, I'm slowly watching these episodes in order and on a vintage TV set of course! Will keep a look out for the episode where the appliances turn against the old man, sounds interesting! Cheers Glen.

Eric H
06-15-2012, 02:09 AM
I think it's a Zenith too but the channel knob looks wrong.

If you look closely you can see they taped over the entire control door to hide the name.

With that level of detail I'm going to guess this is from the Bluray set?

DavGoodlin
06-15-2012, 08:51 AM
There were a lot of TZ episodes featuring cool old TV's. I recently saw one in which a husband threw his wife out the window... he watched himself do it earlier on the TV.

THere was also the episode where the grumpy rich guy couldn't make the appliances in his house cooperate... including his color roundie... which he had the TV repairman over taking a look at it. In the end, the old man's car ran over him.

YES:banana: What better show to play on our sets!

I wish that episode about the appliances was in my TZ DVD collection, but its NOT:no: Why do they leave so many episodes out?????
you can get 6 freaking hours on on DVD. I must have that one!

Charlie
06-15-2012, 04:25 PM
"A Thing About Machines" Season 2 #40 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Thing_About_Machines

"What's in the Box" Season 5 #144 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_in_the_Box

I saw them late one night about 6 months ago... one of those all day SyFy Station Marathons.

truetone36
06-15-2012, 06:15 PM
"What's In The Box?" is one of my favorite Twighlight Zone episodes. BTW, the husband and wife are played by William Demerest and Joan Blondell.

kx250rider
06-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say Sears, with an Emerson channel knob...

Charles

DavGoodlin
06-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks Charlie. Based on the air date, I need to restore my 1960 GE with power tuning just to watch it.

I will check my TZ box set.

Update: 35 episodes in volume 1 , but neither "TV repairman" episodes above are included.

Jeffhs
06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
I watch TZ every night at 11:00 on MeTV. One of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes is the one in which a man has his TV set repaired, only to see his wife's picture on the screen. She keeps yelling things like Yonkers? and other nonsense, until the man finally puts his fist through the screen. Near the end of the program, just before he leaves the house, the repairman tells the set owner "I hope you're satisfied with my service...You will recommend me to your friends, won't you?" I don't remember what episode that quote is from; it might be "A Thing About Machines."

Edit: Yup, that was it all right. I just read the Wikipedia article on that episode, but for some reason the TV going bonkers, and Finchley's wife's picture showing on the screen and her yelling "YONKERS", et al. was not mentioned. However, I do remember the man's typewriter printing out "GET OUT OF HERE FINCHLEY", the man's electric shaver following him all over the house like a puppy, and even Finchley's car trying to run him down -- without a driver, yet.

Second edit: Nope, I goofed. The episode, which I saw last night (06-19-12) on MeTV, was titled "Inside the Box" and was about a man who kept seeing things, such as an argument he had with his wife, Phyllis, that morning ("This tastes like corrugated plastic...", et al.), on a blank channel on his TV (due to, it turns out, the fact that the man was suffering from a mental illness that causes him to see things that aren't there). The episode ends with him staring at a TV screen with slanted lines (out of horizontal sync), static noise in the sound, and his wife taunting him: "What do you see, Joe? Lady wrestlers? Fan dancers from Yonkers?.....HAHAHA! It's all in your mind, Joe. . . ." The man finally smashes his fist through the TV screen, and his wife starts throwing things around their living room while yelling at the top of her voice. She finally jumps out the living room window with a loud scream, shortly after which the police show up in Joe's living room and arrest him for murder. The last scene shows the TV repairman asking Joe, "(Did I) fix your set okay, Mister? You will recommend my services, won't you?", which is where Rod Serling is shown ending the program with the words, "....If you are in need of a TV repairman, may I suggest this one. . . . He offers 24-hour service at reasonable rates, and his office is in...the Twilight Zone."

Rod Serling was one of a kind. His brand of science fiction will never be seen again, except in reruns of The Twilight Zone airing on MeTV and on DVD. That network is also trying to revive the horror movie on TV with its "Svengoolie" weekly horror films. I've never seen them, but MeTV must think rather highly of them to put them back on late-night TV. The FOX affiliate in Cleveland on channel 8 also runs, or used to, anyway, horror movies on Saturday nights. This was a common practice in the '60s-'70s across the country, with different cities having different titles for their stations' horror film nights, e.g. "TV2 Horror Theater," et al. The shows were often hosted by local TV celebrities; in Cleveland, the channel 8 horror films were hosted by Big Chuck and Lil' John, and still are to this day.

Bill Cahill
06-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Did everybody forget "Twonky" with that neat Admiral, or,
"The day the earth stood still" with a Zenith at tv studio, a Zenith in the house, and, the tv shop window showing a bunch of tv's playing?
Or, how about "Green acres" with a color set at the Douglasses, and, a 16" RCA being watched by a pig, Arnold??
Or, "The Phil Silvers show". The one where Sgt. Bilko held an auction, and, was trying to sell a non-working 3" Pilot tv?
Bill Cahill

Zenith26kc20
06-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Svengoolie on Saturday night on a Zenith roundie MC chassis! (remember, "Lost in Space is first, followed by "Star Trek" then Svengoolie) with a cold Heinekin and "Sweet Maui Onion potato chips!
Then it's Voyage to the Bottom of the sea!
What a way to end a day!

Charlie
06-20-2012, 06:54 AM
I watched a lot of Green Acres.... I don't recall a color TV. Not sure that I remember a TV at all now that I think about it. I do, however, remember Mrs. Douglas' pancakes! :D

magnasonic66
06-20-2012, 07:51 AM
I think the Douglases' Green Acres set was actually a black and white Magnavox from the early '60s with the color superimposed on it, like they all did in the movies and television.

DavGoodlin
06-20-2012, 07:52 AM
I watched a lot of Green Acres.... I don't recall a color TV. Not sure that I remember a TV at all now that I think about it. I do, however, remember Mrs. Douglas' pancakes! :D

Yes, I too watched Green Acres. On a 19" Motorola from KENS-TV 5 in San Antonio when living there as a kid. The TV was in Oliver and Lisa's bedroom (not twin beds like other shows as I recall). It resembled a blond mid-50s model (speaker panel below) but I could not tell if it WAS:scratch2: color but it showed a color picture. The channel Arnold the pig watched was KPIXL in Pixley. I have the box set of this also, I will go over it carefully based on the recent knowledge I get here.

DavGoodlin
06-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Wow, simulpost from Magnasonic. It DID look like a Mag BW IIRC!

DaveWM
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
TZ piglet tv repair episode was on last night, love uncle joe giving piglett the business. Joan, yonkers yonkers yonkers made me LOL.

Bill Cahill
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Heh.. The set looked like a color set to me. Oh, well.
Bill Cahill

Einar72
06-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes, I too watched Green Acres. On a 19" Motorola from KENS-TV 5 in San Antonio when living there as a kid. The TV was in Oliver and Lisa's bedroom (not twin beds like other shows as I recall). It resembled a blond mid-50s model (speaker panel below) but I could not tell if it WAS:scratch2: color but it showed a color picture. The channel Arnold the pig watched was KPIXL in Pixley. I have the box set of this also, I will go over it carefully based on the recent knowledge I get here.

I remember seeing (first run) the episode with the Pixley TV test pattern. I distinctly recall it being WPIXL, though. :scratch2:
Anxiously waiting to hear what you find, I don't have that many box sets...

UPDATE: Found this on the internets:

http://www.tv.com/shows/green-acres/how-to-suceed-in-television-without-really-trying-12138/

Jeffhs
06-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I think the Douglases' Green Acres set was actually a black and white Magnavox from the early '60s with the color superimposed on it, like they all did in the movies and television.

I always wondered how it was possible on those old TV shows for 1950s-era black-and-white consoles/portables to show color pictures. One commercial that really baffled me until now, however, was the one on MeTV promoting "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" in which a clip of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" appeared on Mary's color Sony portable TV ("Do you mean to say that Alan Brady is REALLY BALD?!). Seems out of place for a 1960s TV show to appear on a TV of much later vintage (Mary Richards's Sony was probably a very early '70s portable) -- unless of course we're talking about watching vintage shows on restored sets, as many of us here at VK do as a hobby. Again, I don't know how MeTV did it, unless they edited the Dick Van Dyke clip into the promo, and showed it on the Sony TV over a closed circuit connection.

David Roper
06-20-2012, 12:33 PM
The Douglas set was a 1960 Zenith with a white finish.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/ISXX/arnoldmovie2.jpg

There were occasional shots of the back and the Zenith tube cup was unmistakable. Arnold watching TV in color makes much more sense...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/ISXX/ziffelset.jpg

because clearly the Ziffels had an RCA color prototype! :huge:

DavGoodlin
06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Well thanks for that, Einar!

The Douglass' TV resembles a Mag but may be a Zenith, due to the controls under the picture..
Not sure of Arnold the pig's TV, but Sam Drucker's Emerson Portable and Zenith cathedral have supporting roles.

Post started before I saw the previous one. A strange-looking Zenith anyway

Charlie
06-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Never gave this any thought till just now, but wouldn't it be cool if we discovered a TV show or movie with a CT100 or other 15" color set from '54?

Electronic M
06-20-2012, 01:58 PM
The Douglas set was a 1960 Zenith with a white finish.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/ISXX/arnoldmovie2.jpg

There were occasional shots of the back and the Zenith tube cup was unmistakable. Arnold watching TV in color makes much more sense...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/ISXX/ziffelset.jpg

because clearly the Ziffels had an RCA color prototype! :huge:
My 1959 Zenith full line poster lists the top one as model B2254 the Dover.

David Roper
06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
The Joseph Bologna one-season wonder Rags To Riches featured a CT-100, although I'm not sure how prominently/frequently as the adventures of orphan girls who randomly break into song isn't my cuppa.

M3-SRT8
06-20-2012, 09:24 PM
What was the brand name of the Douglass's Tractor on "Green Acres?"

Charlie
06-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Hoyt-Clagwell :D

wa2ise
06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
THere were a few TV episodes of "All in the Family" reaturing TV sets. One is where Edith had the TV set in for repairs, and we see Archie, after getting home from work, trying to control a TV with the missing chassis and CRT, only the speakers (4 of them IIRC) still in the cabinet.

Another episode, Archie was interviewed by a local TV channel, something about gun control and Archie rushes home that afternoon to watch the taped piece of him on TV. But the TV breaks down, Edith grabs a TV repairman just leaving a neighbor's house, but as it's Friday, and the repairman is Jewish and needs to be home before sunset, so he has no time to fix Archie's set.

Glenz75
06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Gee I didn't think that this thread would get so many responses! :D If I see anymore sets on the TZ I'll add them here ;) Cheers

DavGoodlin
06-22-2012, 07:31 AM
THere were a few TV episodes of "All in the Family" reaturing TV sets. One is where Edith had the TV set in for repairs, and we see Archie, after getting home from work, trying to control a TV with the missing chassis and CRT, only the speakers (4 of them IIRC) still in the cabinet.

Another episode, Archie was interviewed by a local TV channel, something about gun control and Archie rushes home that afternoon to watch the taped piece of him on TV. But the TV breaks down, Edith grabs a TV repairman just leaving a neighbor's house, but as it's Friday, and the repairman is Jewish and needs to be home before sunset, so he has no time to fix Archie's set.

I was always trying to guess the Bunkers TV. Never could since there only seemed to be shots from the rear. I kept telling myself it was a cheap, mid-60's Sears BW.:yes:

NowhereMan 1966
06-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Rod Serling was one of a kind. His brand of science fiction will never be seen again, except in reruns of The Twilight Zone airing on MeTV and on DVD. That network is also trying to revive the horror movie on TV with its "Svengoolie" weekly horror films. I've never seen them, but MeTV must think rather highly of them to put them back on late-night TV. The FOX affiliate in Cleveland on channel 8 also runs, or used to, anyway, horror movies on Saturday nights. This was a common practice in the '60s-'70s across the country, with different cities having different titles for their stations' horror film nights, e.g. "TV2 Horror Theater," et al. The shows were often hosted by local TV celebrities; in Cleveland, the channel 8 horror films were hosted by Big Chuck and Lil' John, and still are to this day.

I usually watch TZ every night too. I also like "Outer Limits" on This-TV as well. Here in Pittsburgh, we used to have "Chiller Theater" with "Chilly Billy" Cardille on Saturdays until 1983. We used to watch him every night. "Chilly Billy" was the newscaster in the movie "Night of the Living Dead" and he is still working on radio to this very day.

Glenz75
06-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Found a couple more TV sets on The Twilight Zone....The first one is a portable of some kind, no brand and the second looks to be a Zenith :)

Bill Cahill
06-29-2012, 02:07 AM
First one looks like it could be a GE??
No doubting second. It's a Zenith.
Bill Cahill