View Full Version : CTC 22 chassis

Tom S
06-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey anyone out there have a CTC22 Chassis for parts?? Lookin for a few coils in the chroma circuits.. Looks like i'm going RCA happy. Thanks guys

Tom S
06-16-2012, 12:41 AM
No one out there has one of these?? i'm hoping for one soon.

andy
06-16-2012, 10:26 AM

DaveWM
06-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Have you tried moyers electronics?

jr_tech
06-16-2012, 12:59 PM
I haven't seen one for about 20 years (and not for lack of trying).

These darn things seem to be harder to find than CT100s! I guess that other than the Porta-Color GEs, few of the 1st generation portable color TVs remain. :(

Nice one shown here by retrochad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD1ltbvAiqM

Earlier model (with slide-rule UHF indicator) by drh4683:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3BeHgtWTVI

Cute little sets!

jr

ctc17
06-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Its getting to the point where you have to get creative with some of the non generic parts.
rewind the coil, sub in one form another set etc. Its fairly easy to do with a little research

Tube portables are getting very rare and I hog them up at almost any price now.

bgadow
06-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Do you have the Sams for it? Get the RCA part numbers and post them. I have a bunch of NOS RCA stuff, and others here do as well.

old_coot88
06-17-2012, 08:13 AM
No one out there has one of these?? i'm hoping for one soon.
The achilles heel of these sets was the solid state damper diode. The originals displayed a nearly 100% failure rate. There was a non-RCA sourced replacement consisting of a paralleled dual diode that was supposedly more reliable. Does anybody know of a source of these today?

wa2ise
06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
The achilles heel of these sets was the solid state damper diode. The originals displayed a nearly 100% failure rate. ...

I wonder if a vacuum tube damper diode could substitute here. Assuming that there's room enough in the area of the chassis to mount a tube socket and the tube where there's enough ventalation and a source of heater power. However, the period of time it takes the tube to warm up means no damper diode action for around 15 seconds, and the horizontal deflection circuits may not like that... :scratch2: :thumbsdn: Forget that, maybe a SS damper diode from a CRT computer monitor would do it.

old_coot88
06-17-2012, 06:43 PM
:scratch2: :thumbsdn: Forget that, maybe a SS damper diode from a CRT computer monitor would do it.
I dunno:headscrat.. the CTC-22's damper is a big honkin' thing that clips into a holder like a fuse. It has to be big and robust since it carries the full supply current of the HO tube just like a tube damper does. Whereas the damper diode in a monitor (or a SS TV) does not carry supply current but simply shunts across the HO transistor. So it's just a standard size diode.

wa2ise
06-17-2012, 07:41 PM
the CTC-22's damper is a big honkin' thing that clips into a holder like a fuse. It has to be big and robust since it carries the full supply current of the HO tube just like a tube damper does. ....

If the output is a tube, then the damper could also be a tube. So my idea wasn't so crazy. If there's enough room to install it. And if you are willing to modify the set this much.

old_coot88
06-17-2012, 08:13 PM
If the output is a tube, then the damper could also be a tube. So my idea wasn't so crazy.
Not at all.:) All it'd take is a 6.3V heater xfmr and a tube like a 6DW4 with a stand-off socket...
...If there's enough room to install it. And if you are willing to modify the set this much.