View Full Version : Webcor 9" B&W TV

Eric H
06-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Found this at a Thrift today.

I would have sworn it was a Tube set on first glance but it's Solid State, made in Japan by Hitachi judging by the labels and logos inside.

It works, controls were dirty so I sprayed them with cleaner, haven't hooked up a signal yet but pretty sure it'll make a picture.

It has instant on but the CRT seems OK if not super bright.

Needs cleaning and the glare shield needs a big scratch buffed out.

radiotvnut
06-08-2012, 06:34 PM
That's a nice TV that looks well built. I also think it's the first Webcor badged TV that I've seen. I think that by the late '60's-early '70's, the original Webcor company was a thing of the past and the name wound up on a lot of imported electronics, sort of how they do things today. Does that set use a solid state "stick" HV rectifier or does it use a tube? I know that many of these earlier SS B&W TV's still retained a tube for the HV rectifier.

AiboPet
06-08-2012, 07:04 PM
NICE!!

Exactly the sort of thing I woulda picked up!

What do you use for polishing the scratch out? The few times I've done it, I used Novus in different stages. Novus is great for scratches in acrylic aquariums, then a quick polish with Plexus. That's a pretty nasty scrape. I would ALMOST consider good measurements and a visit to Ridout plastics (or whatever local plastics place to you).

Sandy G
06-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, that 'un would likely have come home w/moi, too...

zenithfan1
06-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Watashi mo...I mean me too! :)

ChrisW6ATV
06-09-2012, 01:38 AM
I think that by the late '60's-early '70's, the original Webcor company was a thing of the past and the name wound up on a lot of imported electronics
This has to be the oldest "resurrected old American brand" device I have seen, quite interesting.

When I was a child, my mother once mentioned Webcor as a radio brand she would avoid "because they went out of business so parts will not be available". If she could only see me now! :) (Or any of the rest of us collectors who will not even blink at the most obscure and old brands.)

Eric H
06-09-2012, 02:14 AM
NICE!!

Exactly the sort of thing I woulda picked up!

What do you use for polishing the scratch out? .

We have a kit at work, it has sanding discs in grits 500, 800, 3000, it also has foam pads for final polishing.

You choose a grit depending on how bad the scratch is, in this case I probably would try the foam pad and rubbing compound, if that won't do it I'll use the 3000 grit pad followed by rubbing compound and then polish.

I used this system on a Predicta screen and it came out fairly nice.

Eric H
06-09-2012, 02:16 AM
This has to be the oldest "resurrected old American brand" device I have seen, quite interesting.

In this case Hitachi was probably equal to or better than Webcor quality, not like now where it's guaranteed to be junk.