View Full Version : My first LCD repair job

YamahaFreak
06-03-2012, 02:53 AM
The neighbor has offered me payment if I can fix his flat panel TV. It's a Samsung LN32A540P2D 32" (widescreen) LCD, manufactured in December 2008. It was purchased new from a Costco a few months after it was built, and he tells me it has always been well cared for, wall mounted, and has never been dropped or impacted, or had anything spilled onto or into it.

Here's the issue: The upper one third of the screen is fine. The lower two thirds, however, are darker than normal and exhibit a strange effect, with off-yellow and tan vertical ghosting lines that seem to interact with whatever is on-screen. The sound (and everything else) acts normal. The set was pretty dusty, but I didn't see anything inside that looked burnt, loose, etc.

Ideas?

mstaton
06-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Probably a bad LCD. Seen it once, seen it a million times. try tapping on the top of the set while running or give it a slight twist and see if anything changes.

YamahaFreak
06-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Probably a bad LCD. Seen it once, seen it a million times. try tapping on the top of the set while running or give it a slight twist and see if anything changes.

I have tried rapping on all sides and banging on the back, with no luck. What part of the set should I try the twisting on?

I am assuming a replacement LCD panel would run higher than the cost of a whole new set. That seems to be the sad reality with most of these flat sets...

mstaton
06-03-2012, 03:47 AM
top left and bottom right or the other 2. This test does not always work. Yes, a panel will cost more than a new set.. About 90% sure it's the panel. Probably best to sell the good parts. Dumping money into it would be futile.

YamahaFreak
06-03-2012, 04:16 AM
top left and bottom right or the other 2. This test does not always work. Yes, a panel will cost more than a new set.. About 90% sure it's the panel. Probably best to sell the good parts. Dumping money into it would be futile.

Thanks for the info. I will need to let the set's owner know the bad news...

I do wonder what EXACTLY goes wrong within the panel for this to happen, and why. It seems to be more commonplace than it should be!

YamahaFreak
06-03-2012, 04:47 AM
We've most likely already established what the problem is, but if it helps at all, here are two photos showing the symptoms:

Menu over snow: http://www.wolfness.com/up/files/101_6201.JPG
Black raster: http://www.wolfness.com/up/files/101_6202.JPG