View Full Version : Calibrating an LG PA5500

mjennens
06-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of a how-to for calibrating a plasma TV? I just purchased an LG PA5500 and would like to calibrate it. I was told that BestBuy will do it for a fee, but it's not difficult so a guy can do it himself. I like the picture as it is, but tweaking and fine tuning is always fun!
Thanks,
Mike

old_tv_nut
06-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Professional calibration involves an expensive colorimeter or spectrometer and software. If you like it the way it is, it's best to leave it alone, IMO. IF they don't do it with the high end gear, it's not worth the money. You can do the simple black level, color saturation, and hue settings with a test pattern, and you can pick color temperature from whatever choices they give you, but when it comes to setting gray scale tracking, and gamma, you need the gear.

But I know, you really want to try playing with it. So start with the customer controls mentioned above, and then think about whether you want to get more complicated.

Calibrating a computer monitor is easier because the adjustments can be made either in the video card if necessary (most common) or in the monitor itself, if its hardware allows it, and the software is supplied with medium-expensive gear to work with a Windows or Apple machine. For a TV set, you must get into the service menus and firmware, which are different for every brand and often for different models of the same brand.