View Full Version : Picked up a beautiful Philco 49-1240!

Eric H
06-02-2012, 07:47 PM
This set had been on Craigslist forever, in fact I posted about it back when they were asking $195.

The price would drop and it would disappear, figured it sold, then it would pop up again at a reduced price...and disappear, at $75 I E-mailed them and got no reply, sold I figured, then it popped up again yesterday for $65, sent another E-mail and got a reply and a phone number last night, called this morning and made arrangements to pick it up in Burbank. a 75 mile trip one way but at that price too good to pass up.

The young fella who greeted me said it had belonged to an old lady and that she had it forever.

The cabinet is in wonderful condition save for the top who someone gave a coat of Poly? it's not bad but way to shiny, I will wet sand it to a more acceptable look, the rest of the cabinet wasn't touched thankfully and won't require much more than a little touch up marker here and there.

I had a good feeling about this one, a set so well cared for was probably also maintained well, especially when a little old lady is involved.

Got it in the house, it's very clean inside as well, I knew as soon as I saw the date circle on the base of the CRT that it had an RCA replacement tube, not sure when but since it has a 1/48 I'm guessing the 48th week of 1961, that's practically brand new in terms of vintage TV collecting!

Sure enough, as fast as I could set up the B&K the emissions shot up to about as high as I've ever seen them even on NOS tubes, this one must have nearly zero hours on it.

I have wanted one of these for a long time but the magic combination of condition and price never seemed to come together, until now. :D

the reason the CRT looked dark in the CL listing is because someone has installed some dark tint in front of the CRT, you can see the top corner has dropped down exposing the normal color of the CRT.
I had a brief moment of panic when I took the picture because the tint is stuck to the center of the screen, looked like it was necked at first!

Pictures.

Eric H
06-02-2012, 09:28 PM
After a 45 minute wake up on the Variac I was able to get a picture!

Not stable to be sure but at least everything is functional.

Phil Nelson
06-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Wow, should be an easy restoration, and that model can make a great picture. Wish I could trade your cabinet for my scruffy one.

http://antiqueradio.org/Philco49-1240Television.htm

Phil Nelson

jr_tech
06-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Nice! :thmbsp:

I Think that on average I have seen a higher percentage of unrestored Philco sets from that era at least try to make a picture with careful Variac treatment than any other brand. (I usually have a terrible time with 10-12" RCAs)

jr

Eric H
06-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I forgot to post one, the set has a back. :yes:

cwmoser
06-03-2012, 06:10 AM
I like the 1940-ish styling on that TV.
Should look great sitting in a room just waiting for someone
to comment on it.
I like TVs with backs - especially metal backs.
Your Philco sure has very little wear on it and its really clean.
Most TVs that age are filthy - not dusty - filthy.
Are the under chassis components basically original - no modern day repairs?

Carl

earlyfilm
06-03-2012, 08:32 AM
OK, I'm confused. On 05/24/12 you said:

Hmmph, The CRT tests deader than dead.

Then yesterday, 06/02/12, you said:

After a 45 minute wake up on the Variac I was able to get a picture!

What happened????

Bad socket or tube tester lied or what?

Outside the gray "contrast enhancer" the picture looks brighter than expected for a 62 year old non-recapped set.

James

Sandy G
06-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Me likey !

Phil Nelson
06-03-2012, 11:36 AM
I forgot to post one, the set has a back. :yes:Interesting. The back on mine is made of heavy fiberboard. It has a steel strip along the bottom for the AC interlock. I haven't figured out the purpose of the little beaded chain hanging from one corner. It's riveted through the board and looks original.

Phil Nelson

http://antiqueradio.org/art/Philco49-1240BackCover.jpg

Sandy G
06-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Interesting. The back on mine is made of heavy fiberboard. It has a steel strip along the bottom for the AC interlock. I haven't figured out the purpose of the little beaded chain hanging from one corner. It's riveted through the board and looks original.

Phil Nelson

http://antiqueradio.org/art/Philco49-1240BackCover.jpg

Ve couldt TELL ju, Herr Nelson, but zen, ve'd haff to KILL Ju...Zere are ZUMTINKS ju DO NOT needt to know...

Eric H
06-03-2012, 12:45 PM
OK, I'm confused.

What happened????

James

Different set.
See: http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=254406

Eric H
06-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I haven't figured out the purpose of the little beaded chain hanging from one corner. It's riveted through the board and looks original.
Phil Nelson

The chain is to attach the back to the cabinet, if you look closely you should find a screw hole on the cabinet where it attached.

old_coot88
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Ve couldt TELL ju, Herr Nelson, but zen, ve'd haff to KILL Ju...Zere are ZUMTINKS ju DO NOT needt to know...
Zumvunn iss mekking mit der foolishments. Ya.

:D