View Full Version : GE portable gone wild

Dave A
05-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Just a bit bigger than a 70's GE record player with swing-out speakers. And a tv inside for good luck.

Seller wants $400 for his storage garage find. My $150 offer got his attention and then I looked around the house and said no. Phila Craigslist. Need room for an AK console.

DavGoodlin
05-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Apologies to Mods for the Audio nature of this post.

Dave, I will be seeing an AK console (possibly for sale) in Akron, PA when I buy a 630TS tomorrow (5-31). I will inquire and photograph if you're interested.

That GE was made somewhere between Syracuse and Utica. I probably have all the factory books on that, even the TU221 tuner that was used in many mid 60s models.

magnasonic66
05-30-2012, 06:19 PM
That's the General Electric Custom Decorator, it came in at least three finishes, and different legs and speaker trim designs. I have a white French Provincial one I picked up for $60 about 7 years ago. It didn't have the legs and someone had painted the already white cabinet with white latex paint.

When you looked around the house and said no, did that mean you didn't want something else that could be inside the set? Like vermin?

CoogarXR
05-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I think he meant he looked around his own house and decided he didn't have room. That's the way I took it anyway...

I always wondered, how is the CRT not affected by the magnets in the speakers when you close the doors? Are the speakers pretty small?

mstaton
05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
There is no mask to magnetize in a B&W set. Would be a problem if it's color

Dave A
05-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Dav,

Moved the AK mention to http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?p=3036966#post3036966

Thanks for the AK offer but the house is full. Post a pix anyway for all to see. Let the GE info continue.

Dave A

magnasonic66
05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
CoogarXR, you're probably right, I thought he looked around the rest of the house where the set was. I had/have no space either, after abandoning a flawless walnut finished set in an antique mall, I wasn't going to leave my white French behind.