View Full Version : tubes and stuff pick from dumpster 1989

snelson903
05-25-2012, 03:29 PM
remember when someone posted about what happens to your collections when you pass on , and i told the story of the old man in his 90's said i could have his collection when he died ,and his kids threw it all in dumpsters and left me the last one to get what i could every night after work. im selling some of that stuff tonight to a 20's radio collector ,i thought i would post some pictures of a sample of the stuff i got out of the dumpster. p.s. did pretty good uploading pictures and making my own thread :thmbsp: hope i remember in a week ha ha

DavGoodlin
05-25-2012, 03:39 PM
His "kids" would be in thier 50s-60s, right? Old enough to know better, right?

Thanks for being there. Stuff like this should never be lost, there is always an interest somewhere.

snelson903
05-25-2012, 03:42 PM
yeah they new better they wanted to sell that house fast near noder dame in south bend

snelson903
05-26-2012, 03:31 PM
he even talked me out of my old rider manual's and supplements, went to good home in ohio. still have them though on cd

Reece
05-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Those "kids" were nuts, there's valuable stuff in what you are showing: imagine what they threw out. If they were not going to honor the old man's wishes and give the stuff to you they could have gone through a radio auction house and been way ahead. Not to mention all that historical equipment lost forever. Look at those tubes.

snelson903
05-26-2012, 06:27 PM
i know ,that why im still pissed after what 23 yrs i had my noise in that 40ryd dumpster ever day for week till dark,i had stuff at my house,my moms and thinking what got away in the other dumpsters from a two story garage that had the real old radios on the second floor. his nephew that help me wasnt into anything like tv or radio but he was was pissed to for what they did to his granpas stuff, no respect. there are some tubes there that i had you can see in the pic never new what radio they came from ,and the guy that bought them last night never seen them either before there # was ac-608 and they had exturnal connections on each side on the base, and the paper on the side still there after all these yrs said [ can be used in any radio freuqency ] maybe someone here might know ,if you do let me know . he wasnt going to leave last night without them, and he didnt.

hi_volt
05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Another example of how our culture has become a "throw away" one, and why these days it seems perfectly acceptable to buy a new TV and have it last for only a couple of years before it breaks and gets thrown away. Same mindset.:screwy:

Kevin Kuehn
05-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Public schools can't even teach our kids an accurate version of our nations history, so why on earth would we want any examples kept of what we used to make here. Sorry but it just makes me so :mad:

magnasonic66
05-27-2012, 05:08 AM
When these unappreciative heirs die off, their "treasures" will likely be dumpstered as well. I have no idea what's made today will be considered treasures thirty and more years down the road.

snelson903
05-27-2012, 06:17 AM
yea really treasures from wal-mart china's fine plastic, partical board furniture from sauder. :drool: its grime to think what might be a vintage collectible 30-40 yrs from now

Einar72
05-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Only Snooki knows for sure. All of us old farts realize our kids are not going to have the kind of life us boomers managed to have, and something we consider mundane and trivial today may be a Holy Grail if Facebook tells them so...

snelson903
05-28-2012, 03:49 AM
if i had my little helper in 89 he would have been in the dumpster with me ,he like's carrying wire for some reason. meet sock's

DavGoodlin
05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
if i had my little helper in 89 he would have been in the dumpster with me ,he like's carrying wire for some reason. meet sock's
helpers like him need a nice, warm tube set to sleep on in the shop.:pawprint:

snelson903
05-30-2012, 05:33 AM
that cat is sure different ,my wife has always had a cat since we were mirried ,when the last one died my wife and daughter dragged me too the pound, i said lets give it rest for awhile having another cat, by the time we left the pound we had two this one adopted me ,i think he is part dog he carrys things around bigger than himself follows me everwhere garage / basement tv shop /he is spooky smart ,sometimes i think he knows what im saying and doing ,he stops when i say and comes when i say and always wants his belly rubbed like a dog.

DavGoodlin
05-30-2012, 08:07 AM
Some are like that. I've had a few. They just watch no matter what you do. No amount of noise, sparks or anything spooks them.

Then..... some others just plain give cats, in general, a bad name.

snelson903
05-31-2012, 03:50 AM
yes that's the truth, i was running my valve grinding machine it has two motor's on it plus the grinding sound the machine make's and that cat was laying on the part's washer less 6' away just watching me ,making sure everything done wright i guess.

holmesuser01
05-31-2012, 06:32 PM
I was told by a friend that when he passed on, he'd be sure to leave instructions that I was to come and get whatever I wanted from his collection. Well, after a short illness, he passed away. I was at the funeral. His son told me that "Pa" had left instructions about what to do with all his stuff. Unfortunately, his grandson got the house, and by the time I found out what was happening, over 80% of his equipment was gone. Not sold, but GONE, as in dumpstered.

Also, I had several pieces of working broadcasting equipment that "Pa" used for years with his system, that was dumped, too.

His grandson was not in any way interested in letting me look through the rest of the stuff. Pa's son got me over there, and I wound up with a few things. The record collection was massive, and I had the place for it. I was told that it all went to goodwill and the Salvation Army Thrift.

I try not to be bitter over this, but I am.

CAT interest: I have 3 of them. They are all spoiled rotton, and not afraid of anything, except the vacuum cleaner.

magnasonic66
05-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Holmesuser01, I'd be bitter too!! I hate attitudes like the grandson has! I hope his posessions hit landfill before he gets cold as well!

snelson903
05-31-2012, 08:19 PM
when here of that you just wounder what was lost , you know they had to pay for a dumpster and they are not cheep anymore ,if they would have a ounce of brains they just run a add saying free come and get it all,they would not have to spend a dime or lift a finger to despose of anything. atleast it stay out of the land fill the dead end.

magnasonic66
06-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Too many people in the world that think they're doing everyone a favor by ridding us all of old things. If it isn't in a museum, it must be worthless, seems to be the general opinion. Not mine, believe me!

DavGoodlin
06-01-2012, 09:00 AM
One very effective way of making stuff disappear is to put it out front, in sight of the road with a sign saying "free stuff".

rld-tv01
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
A similar but little different experience. I bought a 1920s Ratheon neon tube with the box for under $10 from a guy on ebay which he sent. Then a couple weeks later I bought a late 1940s porthole TV from the same guy. When I was picking up the TV I asked if he had any more tubes like the one he sold me. He said he was getting married so his girlfriend had him throw out hundreds of old tubes and other old electronic stuff before she would move in. I missed out on the tubes by a couple of weeks. He was a younger guy so he must have inherited them?

Richard

snelson903
06-01-2012, 10:08 AM
i agree or what the so called ,profestional's say is old out dated tec. or what is collectable prize antigue is,i can look at what some of these people would spend thousands of dollars on,like 10,000 for a photograph of a pear overlooking water ,ITS A PHOTOGRAPH how can that be prize art ?? i could make a list ,along list of what they call art ,that i wouldnt even waste one dollar on. anything thats older, in any form if it doesnt fit into there follow the leader crowed they must do away with it ,dont fix it dont save it ewaste it.

snelson903
06-01-2012, 10:15 AM
as i am pulling out my hair ,the guy needs to grow himself a par, well you allready know who wearing the pants in that house,she will later throw him out .

AUdubon5425
06-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Hmm...my wife was well aware of what she was getting into, and it was/is understood that I'm liable to drag home some crap from time to time.

snelson903
06-02-2012, 11:34 AM
my wife knew it to ,and she still knows it , my house is starting to fill up with tv's again id better slow it down some .problem is i feel now its like a race against time with people ,ewaste stuff fishtank people ex they always seem to destroy the best ones lately