View Full Version : Best way to set up focus/color/tint/contrast

joeseattle70
05-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Everything is going great still with the TV since it was repaired. The technician dialed in everything but indicated I'd need to adjust to suit my preference (color/focus/tint/contrast). Do most of you set this up using a DVD signal, or a cable tv signal? There is a definate difference between the two. Thoughts?

I suspect the answer is to just adjust them to fit the source I'd be using the most, but wasn't sure, so thought I'd ask.

Many thanks!

old_tv_nut
05-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Don't know why there is a difference between the DVD and the cable. Different in what way?

joeseattle70
05-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Sorry - I should have been more clear. The picture is better with the DVD than it is with cable TV. Just wasn't sure if anyone had a preference for cable or the DVD for setting up those fine adjustments.

old_tv_nut
05-18-2012, 11:28 PM
OK - the picture may be overall better with the DVD, but basically the color should be correct with either one. If the cable box and the DVD are on two different channels, make sure the fine tuning is adjusted properly for both, as it can affect the color, especially on older sets.

Quick picture adjust sequence:
1) Fine tuning (usually, turn clockwise until there is sound interference in the picture, then back off counterclockwise until it just disappears)
2) Brightness(or Black Level) - adjust for good blacks (dark objects should be just bright enough to show detail, but not look foggy)
3) Contrast (or Picture) -adjust for reasonably bright picture, but don't overdo it because it can cause bright highlights to "bloom" out of focus
4) assuming you have some color, adjust tint (or hue) for proper flesh tones - not green or purple
5) adjust color (level) for best flesh tones - not too pale or vivid
6) touch up (4) and (5) slightly if needed

7) Adjust focus if needed - normally shouldn't need frequent adjustment

Edit: on older sets with less than 100% DC coupling, (2) and (3) will interact a bit also

lnx64
05-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I noticed on my Roku box, that when I have the Roku box feed NTSC bars, and I adjust it to it, then my DVD player is off.. When I adjust to the DVD player, my old Sega Genesis then looks good, otherwise when calibrated to the Roku, the Genesis looks pale..

RobtWB
05-19-2012, 08:43 AM
With a properly adjusted set(s) I have noticed a difference in color, usually flesh tones become more yellow/green, between channels -I am using dish network satellite -
doesn't seem to matter which set I am watching - either the Sharp 36 or RCA 36" sets, my old favorite XL100 console, or even a '84 Goldstar 19" set -there is a definate difference in color between channels -

marty59
05-19-2012, 09:29 AM
With a properly adjusted set(s) I have noticed a difference in color, usually flesh tones become more yellow/green, between channels -I am using dish network satellite -
doesn't seem to matter which set I am watching - either the Sharp 36 or RCA 36" sets, my old favorite XL100 console, or even a '84 Goldstar 19" set -there is a definate difference in color between channels -

What you're experiencing may be perfectly(?) normal. You have to consider the source material is not always consistant. If your set is adjusted ideally and you notice a change, and switch back to the normal looking broadcast then you know your set is working okay and not drifting/developing a problem/etc.

Back in the day these kinds of (normal) issues would drive us techs nuts in having to explain to the customer that "the problem is not with your set"!

Alot of variables here....