View Full Version : CT-100 performance mods

miniman82
05-15-2012, 12:16 AM
This will be a thread containing circuit mods which may increase picture performance on the CT-100 (CTC-2) chassis. They are basically 'updates' to the old chassis, same ones RCA themselves made to later chassis having to do with how HV regulation and vertical height were controlled. Both these pertain to the B+Boost line of the flyback transformer, which goes unused on the stock CTC-2.

First thing you will notice on the CTC-2 schematic is that grid bias for the 6BD4 shunt regulator tube is in the string of resistors that make up the convergence bleeder. During testing of the proto CRT, it was found that current draw going to the convergence grid tended to bleed voltage away from the HV pot. This allowed CRT anode voltage to creep upwards any time convergence potential was increased, so in effect convergence always lagged the anode no matter what we tried.

The fix is to take the HV control out of the convergence string, and tie it to B+Boost instead. It's a very simple mod, just lift the wire coming from the 50 meg resistor, move it to ground. Then take a wire from terminal 1 on the flyback (B+Boost), run it though a 2 meg fixed resistor, then to the open terminal on the HV pot. This arrangement gives you 420v on the high side of the pot, 270v on the low side. Pretty close to what I measured originally when it was still in the convergence string, which was 468v high side, 303v low side. During testing, the HV regulator works just like it should. I am able to adjust HV throughout its range from 20kv, to low enough to make the 6BD4 start redplating. Here's what things look like in the cage.

http://miniman82.4t.com/images/prototype%20color%20set/small/IMGP5329.JPG

The effects of this mod should be a more stable anode voltage for the CRT, which should make the picture more stable and less prone to brightness changes from scene to scene. RCA did this exact thing to later chassis, because B+Boost is an accurate representation of what the horizontal section is doing and it doesn't require a pair of high megohm resistors to implement. In other words, it's just a different way to control HV that doesn't involve the convergence string anymore.

Next modification will be moving the source of vertical height voltage from B+ to B+Boost. Again, the result should be a more stable picture. This time instead of brightness, picture size is what I'm after. By fixing vertical height to B+Boost, vertical height should follow changes in horizontal width. I think RCA made this change in later chassis because with vertical height tied to B+ as it is in the stock CT-100, changes in the horizontal section would not affect vertical. The result of this was that the picture would shrink/expand horizontally but not vertically, which could be objectionable to some viewers. If vertical height is tied to B+Boost, when the picture shrinks/expands horizontally it also does vertically. This may seem like a bad thing at first, but when you take into account the fact the the raster overscans the dot plate by about an inch, the effects are much less noticeable than if the picture only changed size horizontally.

ChrisW6ATV
05-15-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the notes and picture, Nick. I had seen notes of these differences before (from Pete Deksnis if I remember right), and I am about to repair my CT-100's HV cage, so this is an ideal time to go ahead and make the updates to my set before I power it up on my test jig.

Pete Deksnis
05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the notes and picture, Nick. I had seen notes of these differences before (from Pete Deksnis if I remember right), and I am about to repair my CT-100's HV cage, so this is an ideal time to go ahead and make the updates to my set before I power it up on my test jig.

Through the magic of the Wayback site, web.archive.org, some of my now-defunct site (thanks ATT) is viewable. Here's what I believe you were referring to Chris:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051228041314/http://home.att.net/~pldexnis/input/boost/documenmtboost.htm

It covers CTC2 production changes to the vertical circuit and the boost B+. [Since photos did not get saved here are photos of the pages, which incidentally were saved by the late Len Dole and given to me by Phil Nelson.]

The reference-designation links do not work, but were only photos of the noted component.

Typically, connecting a vertical sweep oscillator to boost B+ made its sawtooth waveform more linear, as it increased the amplitude of the oscillator waveform and therefore the small portion of the exponential wave used to form the sawtooth would better approach a straight line.

Pete

miniman82
05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Didn't know the factory also made this running mod, the Sams I have only shows a stock chassis. Pete, any idea if there was a mod sheet or updated schematic anywhere that shows the changes RCA made?

ChrisW6ATV
05-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Pete, that is exactly the page I was thinking of. I had only seen it on the archive site, so thank you for posting the pictures-they will help.

Pete Deksnis
05-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Didn't know the factory also made this running mod, the Sams I have only shows a stock chassis. Pete, any idea if there was a mod sheet or updated schematic anywhere that shows the changes RCA made?Nick, the short answer is yes, RCAS issued an update describing the changes. Longer answer is yes I have it somewhere but where? I'll search my old desktop. It's probably somewhere on the ETF site too.

Pete

miniman82
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
And here I thought I was doing something original. Silly me! lol

Seriously though, if I didn't know about it chances are loads of other people don't either. These mods are easy to do, and will improve the performance of the CT-100 chassis. The more people that know about it the better, I figure.

Dave A
05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
The more amazing thing is that Nick deduced this on his own...with assorted help...and came up with the same as RCA. Hooray for group thought.

Einar72
05-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for bringing this up, Nick. If I ever find the time and space to start my CT-100 resto, I'll pop this one in. All the Engineering "bug" entries and rework workorders are long, long closed on this one, so this one gets charged to a labor-of-love workorder!

Geez, I must still be at work or something...

Steve McVoy
05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Nick, I'd be curious to see if the convergence control in a CT-100 actually has any effect on the high voltage with the original circuit with a 15G. I doubt that it will. I'd make measurements before I went to the trouble of modifying the chassis.

Pete Deksnis
05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Nick, the short answer is yes, RCAS issued an update describing the changes. Longer answer is yes I have it somewhere but where? I'll search my old desktop. It's probably somewhere on the ETF site too.

PeteActually, there are as Steve brings out two separate mods here.

Nick's change to cage circuitry is the mod described in this thread.

Another is the RCA production change to the CTC2 chassis that the page on my former site documented.

I apologize for aiding the misunderstanding.

Pete

ChrisW6ATV
05-16-2012, 11:41 PM
I looked at Pete's drawing and description of the production changes, and Nick's picture and description of his modification, and I understand the differences are these so far:

-Pete describes a production change in the HV regulator circuit that changes R183 (connected to the HV regulator grid and HV control wiper) from 1M to 150K, and moves C141 (connected to R183) from ground to flyback pin 1 (boost B+). (Pete also described nearby related changes to the vertical circuit as well.)

-Nick describes changing the HV control high-side from the low end of the DC convergence voltage divider to flyback pin 1 (boost B+) through an added 2M resistor (and grounding the low end of the divider).

These changes are independent, it seems.