View Full Version : Opportunity to save vintage gear in Detroit area

Carmine
05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
At a city council meeting, it was announced that a local church is collecting e-waste. However, they will allow hobbyists to save anything of value. I would suggest to show some class, make a decent donation ($10-$20) since they are doing this to raise money for a roof.

If anyone is interested, the info is below. The neighborhood is prime-pickin's for the stuff we like to collect... 1950/60s Middle-class brick ranches with basements.

---------------
St. Joan of Arc
22412 Overlake Street St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
Saturday, May 12, 2012 10 AM - 2 PM

Have an old computer or other electronic that is unused and in your way? St. Joan of Arc School wants you to collect those old electronics and help our school! St. Joan of Arc is asking for a $5.00 donation per car with ALL proceeds collected by and given to our school benefiting Energy Saving projects within the school and parish. Our st. Joan of Arc community has an inexpensive opportunity to safely and properly dispose of computers and small electronics. Computer Recyclers, a Michigan firm, works with many other schools and non-profits. They will collect our product and take no fee. They also guarantee that no compononet will end up in a landfill.

Items accepted for St Joan of Arc's Living Roof Fundraiser

Desktop PC's and Workstations
Monitors, Both CRT and LCD
Speakers, Keyboards, Mice
Video and Projection Equipment
Cameras: Both old style and Digital
Computer Drives, CD, DVD, Hard, Floppy
Misc. Electronic Small Items
Batteries, Bagged Please (no auto)
Notebook, Laptop and Tablet PC's
Printers: Both Ink and Laser
Scanners, laptop bags
Audio Equipment (Stereo Receivers, Etc)
PDA's Cell Phones
Cord/Wire: Computer, Electrical Cable
Household Small Appliances: Toasters, Irons, Phones
TV's 32" and under

Electronics contain many hazardous materials that can contaminate groundwater if placed in landfills. They also consist of valuable resources, such as precious metals, copper and engineered plastics, all of which requiere considerable energy to process and manufacture. Recycling electronics recovers valuable materials, conserves natural resources, and results in lower environmental emissions (including greenhouse gases) than making products from raw materials.

For additional information, contact:
St Joan of Arc "Green Team"
Gail Kassin
586-775-8370
gkassin@stjoan.net

jeyurkon
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
If anything nice shows up be sure to post photos so I can kick myself for not going.

John

bgadow
05-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Wheels are turning...if I could find a local firm that does recycling....and could convince our church to do such an event....and could rig it so things of special value could be saved....hmmm.

dieseljeep
05-10-2012, 08:47 AM
I picked a Zenith 12A12C52 at the Habitat Restore. It took a little persuasion, but they sold it to me. They're starting to sell electronics in their stores.
They have a lot of Zenith " New Horizons" 27" sets from a hotel. I wonder what the CRT's look like.