View Full Version : Filter Cap relocating on a 1960 Magnavox TV

Magnavox300
05-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I recently bought a 1960 Magnavox TV/phono combination, and just started replacing the capacitors. This is my first time at this, and I was wondering if I can relocate the filter caps, the ones in the cans, will that mess up the tuning, reception, so forth?
Thanks!

ChrisW6ATV
05-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Welcome to Videokarma.

Generally, relocating electrolytic filter capacitors will not cause problems. Some smaller electrolytics especially in the audio circuits should be replaced with new ones in the same location if possible, though.

You may get more responses if you ask this question in the "Early B&W and Projection TV" forum.

DavGoodlin
05-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Welcome to the forum Maganvox300! There is an infinite amount of knowledge here.

I find the most interesting posts in "Early B&W and Projection TV" due to the simplicity of the earliest B/W sets. Its a great place to start.

Magnavox300
05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the information!
Also, one of the electrolytics is a 70 mfd, and the closest replacement I found was a 100 mfd. Does anyone know if that is going to be okay to use? Or is that too much to replace with?
I will also go to the "early B&W" posts. Thanks!

DavGoodlin
05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the information!
Also, one of the electrolytics is a 70 mfd, and the closest replacement I found was a 100 mfd. Does anyone know if that is going to be okay to use? Or is that too much to replace with?
I will also go to the "early B&W" posts. Thanks!

That should work OK. Just don't go too high, like putting in 100 for a 20, etc.

Magnavox300
05-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks, that's a relief! By the way, how do I post photos if I wanted to?
I just got into this hobby a few weeks ago, after buying a 1960 Magnavox for $25.00.
I didn't know what I would do with it, but it just looked so cool, I had to buy it!
The lady who sold it to me said it didn't work, but I got it home and fooled with it a bit, and realized nothing showed on the screen cause the brightness had been turned down!
Bought an RF modulator, and got a great picture from a dvd player.
There was no sound, but I saw a glowing blue tube in the back that was crackling when I turned on the tv, so I ordered a new 6g6GT i think, and the sound was perfect!
So, after reading in places that I should recap it, I thought I would.
I replaced 4 last night, and it seems like a simple, and very enjoyable hobby.
I refinished the cabinet, and it is an amazing design, Danish Modern in style.
After the TV, I will redo the phonograph, It's a Callaro.
Thanks for the info, this site is the best!

ChrisW6ATV
05-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Below the "Quick Reply" box is a button marked "Go Advanced". In that window will be a button marked "manage attachments", and you can upload pictures there. Before you upload one, it is best to change its size (using Windows Paint "Resize" function or a similar program on other computers and devices) to something like 640x480 or so. That will be big enough for good detail without using a lot of memory.

Magnavox300
05-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks Chris & Dave!