View Full Version : New Zenith porthole, finally!

ShartZenith
04-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Okay you Zenith "roundie" guys, its time to celebrate. After a year of serious searching I finally found what looks to be a nice, restorable TV locally. Just got it home about an hour ago and am looking it over. Appears to be a 1951 Tennyson model H2445R, chassis 24H21. Has a one larger splotch where the finish is gone on top and one major gouge. Rest of the cabinet looks useable as is. The chassis is dusty. Seems like I recall care need to be taken when removing the chassis. Something I recall someone said about the knobs being removed a certain way? Anyway, I'll have my friend Bob's assistance restoring it and that's a good thing. He helped me make my Predicta work about one year ago. No, I don't really know if the picture tube is good. How should we check it before we spend a lot of time on recapping, re-tubing, etc?
Thanks! Steve174064

David Roper
04-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Am I the only one who can't see the pics?

ShartZenith
04-21-2012, 07:40 PM
I inserted them into the text and probably should have attached them like normal. Will try again. Doesn't want me to reload the same ones I already have up. Oh well.

cwmoser
04-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Is it a 19" CRT - 19AP4 ?

Here is the Zenith Service Manual - scroll to the bottom:
http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_schematic_diagrams.html

I have the "Bryon" 24H21 Chassis porthole TV - no doors but the bezel looks exactly like yours.

Looks like your Power Supply is not in the proper position.

They are indeed very collectible and nice TVs.

Carl

Sandy G
04-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Damn ! Too bad its got those "Boo-Boos" in the finish...

ShartZenith
04-21-2012, 07:55 PM
It's a 19in, not sure about the CRT number. Where do you find it? When you say the power supply is not in the right position where should it be?

John Marinello
04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Nothing special about the knobs. If you can't pull them off with your fingers,
I would just give the chassis a quick yank, and they'll all be laying inside
the pencil box.

cwmoser
04-21-2012, 08:02 PM
It's a 19in, not sure about the CRT number. Where do you find it? When you say the power supply is not in the right position where should it be?

The Zenith service manual shows it as a 19".
Look inside your cabinet for a sticker.
The CRT number should be there.

Here are my websites that shows where the Power Supply should be mounted:
http://www.cerant.com/ZenithPortholeTV/ZenithPortholeTV.html

http://www.cerant.com/ZenithTV-24H21/index.html

Carl

charokeeroad
04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Yes those little knobs inside the pencil box can be a little tough to get off or maybe it's just my set . I don't know if mine were glued on by an owner or they were put on at the factory that way. I ended up leaving a bit of I think two of them on the metal shaft but figured I could just glue them back after the set is restored. The big knobs are easy to get off.

ShartZenith
04-21-2012, 08:49 PM
19ap4a

ShartZenith
04-21-2012, 08:56 PM
CW, after looking at the pics in your links I see what you're talking about re: the power supply mounting place. The only thing is, on the lower part of my cabinet there is obviously provisions for mounting the power supply because there are two little female inserts. one on each side of the cabinet. Yet there is no evidence anything was ever mounted in that position, there is no wood shelf or evidence of one being mounted there in the past. Also, when I view the mounting for where the power supply is now it appears to be a factory mount just like the main chassis complete with the same type of screws and screen material for venting.

ShartZenith
04-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Here is a photo of the bottom (non-existent) shelf and one of the inserts where a chassis could be mounted (or a shelf?) and the bottom of the upper shelf where the power supply chassis is now mounted. Looks like a factory mount to me, no?

John Marinello
04-21-2012, 10:40 PM
The power supply is in the correct spot.

tvdude1
04-21-2012, 11:36 PM
The crt should be a 19AP4

cwmoser
04-22-2012, 06:30 AM
CW, after looking at the pics in your links I see what you're talking about re: the power supply mounting place. The only thing is, on the lower part of my cabinet there is obviously provisions for mounting the power supply because there are two little female inserts. one on each side of the cabinet. Yet there is no evidence anything was ever mounted in that position, there is no wood shelf or evidence of one being mounted there in the past. Also, when I view the mounting for where the power supply is now it appears to be a factory mount just like the main chassis complete with the same type of screws and screen material for venting.

Never seen one mounted like yours. John indicates that yours is correctly mounted. I learn something every day.

My two portholes do not have that smaller screened vent like you show in your photo.
Perhaps your TV is a later production run where Zenith engineers put in product improvements.

How about posting some more images of your power supply? I find it interesting.

Also, when you look up under the main chassis, can you tell if its been recapped?

Thanks

Carl

ShartZenith
04-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Here are some images of the power supply as requested.

cwmoser
04-22-2012, 05:04 PM
You've got a very nice and desirable Porthole.
Are you going to recap it?

Carl