View Full Version : It Was Going So Well.......

VA561
04-20-2012, 09:50 PM
With all of the good advice I received from everyone, I was able to get my 1960 rca roundie looking pretty good. The static and dynamic convergence were complete and all of the color controls were adjusted so I thought I would watch a star trek dvd for about an hour or so. All of a sudden the picture started acting up. The colors were off, the horizontal appeared to be out of adjustment and the wave in the picture would slowly crawl from the bottom to the top so I just shut everything down. I have no doubt that someone on this forum can look at the following pictures and come up with a pretty accurate diagnosis. Any advice at this point would be extremely welcome.:worried:

ctc17
04-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Looks like a filter capacitor went open. I call it a second life infant mortality.

I cant say im all to anxious to help when people dont even bother to thank me for sharing sams I pay for. Last time I do that.....

bgadow
04-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Bad filter capacitor, letting some serious 60 cycle hum into places it shouldn't be. That's my guess. That set is old enough that, if they haven't been changed, they need to be. It's a little bit of a project to change them but at least that style chassis is easy to pull and work on.

miniman82
04-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Time for a recap, in the power supply at the very least. I do that with every set I own, without exception.

hi_volt
04-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Definitely a bad filter can. A recap of the set is in order. Looks like your tube is in good shape.....

VA561
04-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Looks like a filter capacitor went open. I call it a second life infant mortality.

I cant say im all to anxious to help when people dont even bother to thank me for sharing sams I pay for. Last time I do that.....

I tried to send you a private message but you cannot receive any more messages until you delete some older ones.

Dude111
04-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Bad filter capacitor, letting some serious 60 cycle hum into places it shouldn't be. That's my guess. That set is old enough that, if they haven't been changed, they need to be. It's a little bit of a project to change them but at least that style chassis is easy to pull and work on.It makes one feel VERY GOOD to work on them and get them working right doesnt it? (Nothing like it now,worth every penny keeping them going :))

DavGoodlin
04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
My Blonde CTC11 needs them too. As soon as I saw "the wave" last year I realized it was finally time for a re-cap. It has not been turned on since. Good luck and have fun.

VA561
04-27-2012, 07:14 PM
I replaced the bad electrolytic caps. A much more enjoyable picture now.

mstaton
04-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Looks nice