View Full Version : fada 940

dibiase45
04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Recently found a 1948 fada model 940 in pretty good shape. Plugged it in and it has power. Any idea of worth or value. I am new to site and to old TVs

Phil Nelson
04-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Does it look like this?

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1948-FADA-940-12in.JPG

Don't plug it in any more. You may burn things up and reduce the value. Every TV that old needs electronic work, so knowing that it has power tells you nothing.

There's no official price book for old TVs, so value is what someone will give you. In my book, it would be somewhere around $100 - $150. Others may disagree. Much of the value depends on whether the picture tube is good, something you can't tell unless you have a picture tube tester.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

dibiase45
04-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Phil , thanks for the info. It looks exactly like that. Now to figure out what to do with it.
Anthony

old_coot88
04-10-2012, 06:34 AM
On the rare occasion that a Fada set (most always a radio) came into the shop, one of us goofballs would quip "here's da fada. Where is da mudda?"

:screwy:

Steve
04-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Nice set! Value....probably less than it would cost to restore the
electronics properly. Thats true for most old TV's. If you aren't
interested in doing a restoration pass it on to someone that will.
Steve

pearsonk
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
PM sent...................

BelowZero
04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
On the rare occasion that a Fada set (most always a radio) came into the shop, one of us goofballs would quip "here's da fada. Where is da mudda?"
That's a great story, thanks for sharing!:D

Well it looks like there are few Fada TV's in captivity.

I just recently picked up a 940, it was supposed to be a working set and the seller (who really didn't know much about electrical condition of the set) offered to plug it in and turn it on for me but I said no thanks I'd rather not risk it.
Last night I powered it up for the first time after I tested the crt (12LP4) which tested good, and did an inspection of the chassis, flyback, electrolytics, looked for burned resistors, wire etc...
I slowly powered it up in steps monitoring it for any signs of trouble, every thing looked good and after applying full power it had a snowy picture and sound. I was feeling very good because it passed the smoke test.:banana:

I put on a test video and my 940 had big deep bass sound out of the 10" speaker and after some adjustment I got a fair picture, I watched a few old TV shows and it ran fine so I'm very happy with the set.
But that's just a starting place as it will need many of the old caps and resistors and some weak tubes to be replaced before it will be a reliable set.

Here's mine.

Electronic M
04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Wow, that is very impressive!

dibiase45
04-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Nice set! Value....probably less than it would cost to restore the
electronics properly. Thats true for most old TV's. If you aren't
interested in doing a restoration pass it on to someone that will.
Steve

Steve, if you want to restore it let me know/ I will let it go cheap, I have no room for it or really no intrest in tvs. Like I said I just happend to be in the right place at the right time and thought it should not be thrown out, so I took it.

tvdude1
04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I also have one of these sets with manuel that I purchased from original owners.