View Full Version : Early Television Convention

Steve McVoy
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
The convention is coming up an about a month. If you plan to attend, please register as soon as you can so we can make arrangements for catering. Hope to see you May 4-6:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/2012_convention.html

Electronic M
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I wish I could attend this year(the last two were great, and I had some one who was going to hook me up with a cheap Predicta if I came this year :cry: ), but I'm gonna be moving in to bigger digs soon which will eat all funds for that kind of travel (not to mention that spring break at my college is not going to be held during the meet like last year :sigh:).

vts1134
04-03-2012, 07:31 PM
This will be my first one and I can't wait!
I'll be the one with the wide eyes and the stupid grin on my face the whole time.

ChrisW6ATV
04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I sure want to go, but home repairs are going to take most of my money through the near future.

cwmoser
04-04-2012, 05:33 AM
This will be my first one and I can't wait!
I'll be the one with the wide eyes and the stupid grin on my face the whole time.

I'm planning on going. My first time too. There will be two of us with "wide eyes and the stupid grin" on our faces:-) Hope no one notices.

Carl

Cadman
04-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Make that three of us! :thmbsp:

mpatoray
04-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Guys,

I will be there as well my 3rd year, every time that is always something that has me standing with the "Wide eyes and stupid grin".

It is a good thing

bgadow
04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Guys, when you see that set in mpatoray's avatar you most definately will have that look! (I did)

Looks like, yet again, I can't quite make it. Tough to be a days drive away.

cwmoser
04-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Any updates on the Convention? I see that there are a few pictures of some TVs to be auctioned.

Carl

Sandy G
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
...If y'all listen closely down towards Tennessee during the meet, & hear some soft sobbing, that would be Moi...Maybe SOMEDAY..I'd LOVE to put faces w/names....SOMEBODY better post a BUNCH of pics of both Stuff 'n' Faces....

old_tv_nut
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
...If y'all listen closely down towards Tennessee during the meet, & hear some soft sobbing, that would be Moi...Maybe SOMEDAY..I'd LOVE to put faces w/names....SOMEBODY better post a BUNCH of pics of both Stuff 'n' Faces....

I post a lot of pix every year on Flickr, but I'm a poor reporter since I don't have all the names listed.

Anyone who wants is welcome to put names in the comments.

You'll have to scroll back through my sets to find the right ones, but they're there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42002845@N02/sets/

Selected ones in reduced size are posted by Steve on the ETF web site too.

David Roper
04-11-2012, 12:37 AM
I took the liberty (I took several in fact) to caption a few of Wayne's pictures, in most cases identifying those pictured by their VK handles.

earlyfilm
04-16-2012, 05:20 AM
I'll be at the convention and I have several parts chassis in Dallas, TX, for sets that I'm working on and wonder if anyone with a little extra space in their vehicle is driving to the convention in Hilliard, and could be persuaded to carry these.

If anyone needs a TV, excepting consoles that cannot be laid down, transported to Hilliard, OH, from northern Virginia, let me know.

James

Rusty34
04-17-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm new to the vintage television hobby and would like to learn more about the Convention. Is there any swap meet activity on Friday? Is the swap meet inside or outside on Saturday? Is the Vintage Television Convention about the size of some of the annual antique radio meets?

Thanks, Rusty

W3XWT
04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm new to the vintage television hobby and would like to learn more about the Convention. Is there any swap meet activity on Friday? Is the swap meet inside or outside on Saturday? Is the Vintage Television Convention about the size of some of the annual antique radio meets?

Thanks, Rusty

Rusty, to answer your questions, Friday is mainly social. But, a lot of fun. Well worthwhile. Although I'm more of a commercial/social/broadcast engineering historian, I've enjoyed these times and have learned a lot. The swap meet is inside unless you are bringing or seeking something super-sized. As for the convention in general, I think this sums it up...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/banana.gif

John

cwmoser
04-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Any Convention discounts with hotels?

Carl

Steve McVoy
04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Sorry, this year the "discounts" were higher than you can get online.

RCAGuy
04-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Steve -- could we encourage people to write their VideoKarma handles (and emails, too?) on name tags this year at the Convention? Would help us to identify each other...just a suggestion.

Steve McVoy
04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
OK. If you are a VK member and coming to the convention, email me your VK handle:

info@earlytelevision.org

I'll add it to the name tag

cwmoser
04-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Looking forward to the Early TV Convention.
First time for me.

Any activities Friday afternoon?

What time do most folks arrive Saturday morning?

Hope everyone has a safe travel event.

Carl

Steve McVoy
04-30-2012, 07:09 AM
No formal activities, but people arrive as early as Thursday. There will be people at the museum all day Friday. There is beer, wine, etc. at the get together Friday evening.

edison64
04-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Steve will there be an live auction video online this year?????

Steve McVoy
04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, the auction and presentations will be live on the internet. There is no provision for bidding online, however. If you aren't attending and want to bid, you need to find someone at the convention to bid for you.

benman94
05-01-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm really quite new to the hobby and I'm actually still working on my very first restoration. Would I be welcome to attend, or is this limited to well-established collectors and restorers? I really think it'd be a fun time . . .

Steve McVoy
05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
We would love for you to attend. This year there are at least 15 people I don't know who are coming. Please register as soon as you can if you are coming.

mpatoray
05-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Looking forward to attending agin, its always a great time! Cant wait to see the presentations!

Dave S
05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm really quite new to the hobby and I'm actually still working on my very first restoration. Would I be welcome to attend, or is this limited to well-established collectors and restorers? I really think it'd be a fun time . . .

We were all new at some point. And many of the folks I've met at the Early Television Convention over the past 10 years have become good friends, folks from all over the U.S. and from around the world. You won't find a nicer bunch of crazy people!

--Dave Sica

old_tv_nut
05-02-2012, 01:11 PM
We were all new at some point. And many of the folks I've met at the Early Television Convention over the past 10 years have become good friends, folks from all over the U.S. and from around the world. You won't find a nicer bunch of crazy people!

--Dave Sica

Not only welcome, but crazy NOT to attend, IMO. See you there!

cwmoser
05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Be interesting during the "beer and wine" session Friday night to get folks to introduce themselves and briefly mention how we can associate them with a forum handle, etc.

vts1134
05-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Be interesting during the "beer and wine" session Friday night to get folks to introduce themselves and briefly mention how we can associate them with a forum handle, etc.

I'm all for it.

W3XWT
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
My forum handle is among the easier to remember: It's my ham call! (And, ecologically correct as it's "recycled"! And, I'm one of the few hams with a callsign that was originally a broadcast TV callsign...)

And, as for being new to the hobby, after your first ETF convention, you'll be an experienced hand guiding others. Also, don't be surprised if you find yourself sharing your knowledge as all of are students and teachers. In fact, the banquet has even had the occasional prom!

Dave S
05-03-2012, 12:12 AM

Here's a group photo of Videokarmaites (then known as Audiokarmaites) circa 2005:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=174243&stc=1&d=1336020696

Not sure who everyone is, or VK handles. Maybe folks in the photo can identify themselves.

That's me in the front row, third from left. I'm pretty sure the fellow to the left of me in the photo is named Dave too, but Dave I can't recall your last name. It looks like John Folsom is right behind me sporting a huge smile. Chuck Azar is kneeling all the way to the right, with John Pinckney behind him in the red checkered shirt. Looks like Ron Steinberg second from left standing and maybe George Lemaster to the left of him. And maybe that's Richard Dean in the very corner of the room. I think I see Alex Magoun's head peeking out in the very center of the back row. Wayne Bretl in the middle of the middle row in the light blue shirt. Chuck Pharis is to the right of him, one row back and Wayne Abare is to the left of Chuck. Third from the right is Ed Reitan. All the way on the right is Peter Yanczer. (I'm pretty sure that's Peter's wife next to him, but she's standing closer to Ed. What's up with that?) Looks like maybe Big Dave "evil furnace man" to Ed's left all the way in the back. And the rest are either too fuzzy to make out or I'm just drawing a blank just now.

--Dave Sica

David Roper
05-03-2012, 05:06 AM
That's yours truly at your left and behind me is the late Dave Johnson.

cwmoser
05-03-2012, 06:26 AM
My call sign is N4MLS. When I first got my Amateur License, I took my wife out to dinner to celebrate - hey this is a true story. Over dinner I told her that I got my license and the call sign was N4MLS. She's blonde by the way. She thought about it for only a couple minutes and stated "I can remember it. Yeah, it stands for Ninety-Four Million Loose Screws". Thats a true story BTW.

Hope to meet everyone there. BTW, I have the worst memory for peoples names so please don't be offended if I end up asking your name several times. I can usually remember the car you drive and probably a TV you restored much easier than I can remember your name. A form of "senioritis":-)

Carl

Kamakiri
05-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, but if any of you is headed there and has room, that's headed out toward Mass (I believe), I have a CTC-4 cabinet for tvdude1 that has to go his way. I'm in Buffalo and might be able to meet somewhere on your way back :)

TubeType
05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Hmmm ... 2005 was my first time at the convention, but I can't seem to find my mug. Oh well; here's what I look like now.
See you there.

mpatoray
05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
For those of you attending,

I know there is an unofficial dinner after the meet and greet at the museum and a breakfast one of the mornings, for the lift of me I can't remember where or when....

Can someone enlighten me?

Matt

old_tv_nut
05-03-2012, 05:35 PM
I think dinner Friday night is ad hoc; Breakfast is usually at Bob Evans next to Hampton Inn and across Cemetary road from Motel 6. (Cemetary Road W of 270)

Some people also do a banana cream pie pigout at Max and Erma's AFTER the Saturday banquet.

vts1134
05-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Into the final countdown. Aprox 21hrs to arrival.

mpatoray
05-04-2012, 06:50 AM
For all of you hams that are going, maybe we should have a "Talk in frequency" I was thinking of the W8ZPF repeater it's at 146.6700 the pl is 131.8 it has negitive offset and is an open repeater.

Matt

DavGoodlin
05-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Have fun you guys! One day, I will get there.

snelson903
05-04-2012, 06:26 PM
i wish i could go ,even my wife said that she would like see it. maybe next time, gas would cost me alot because i bring a closed in trailer and truck camper if there's auctions there im buying stuff man ,parts /tv's / ex :D

old_tv_nut
05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
Pictures posted at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42002845@N02/collections/72157629628736680/

zenithfan1
05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for posting those, Wayne. It looks like I missed a good one this year, not that I wanted to......

Electronic M
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks for posting those, Wayne. It looks like I missed a good one this year, not that I wanted to......

I missed it too....Looks like Wi was really under represented this year.