View Full Version : Saved a Sentinel

ohohyodafarted
03-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Saved a 12" sentinel today. It has an excellent 12LP4. Probably a replacement. National Union branded. This set reminds me of a philco from the front. Has that olive green screen surround and also the typical Philco antenna tuning knob in a routed out groove in the top front of the set cabinet. Set appears to be mostly unmolested inside and in very nice rust free condition. (just a heavy layer of dust) Probably stored in a nice dry attic. Paid $60. I am not very good at dickering on price.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I got this from the grandson of the original owner. He said that he has a photo of the set back when it was in opperation with his grandpa. He said he would scan it and send it to me. I hope he sends it because it would be nice to add to the collection from a standpoint of provenance.

Sandy G
03-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Ya done FINE, Bob...So what if you paid a few bux "Too Much" ?!? (And I don't think you did...) You got a VERY nice old set that should be a relatively easy fix. That puppy is prolly close to g5 yrs old, how many 65 yr old sets are still out there, & in as good shape ?

Phil Nelson
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
That CRT alone is worth $60 in my book.

Phil Nelson

bandersen
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Great save! I don't see many Sentinels around and that's a real nice one.

kvflyer
03-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Ditto all of the above including your comment about not being good at dickering. I hate that!

Eric H
03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
I think you did really well! I seldom get sets that cheap, and a good CRT to boot.

vts1134
03-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I am not very good at dickering on price.

Story of my life.
Congrats on the set, it looks well worth $60 to me.

DavGoodlin
03-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Nice job. Price is relative. Its a bargain for just the safe storage. I wonder what percentage of stuff we get these days was from a collection (or owned by a fancier) and what was simply "found" as a dusty relic.