View Full Version : Questions about Zenith Porthole Combo

Carmine
03-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Yesterday I purchased a Zenith Porthole Combo... I really don't know a whole lot about these sets. (Even though I've had a 19" version sitting around my basement for about a decade. It needs a total resto and I never have the time.)

Anyways, I was told this set "kinda" works, so on a gamble I bought this monster combo because I figured it would make a good friend for my '67 Zenith Emperor Combo. The cabinet styles are close enough they can be in the same room, and they're both TOL sets I figure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/1332690569.jpg

I could tell the set had some work done at least within the past 20 years, because the power cord has been replaced with something sorta modern, there were extra tubes and power transformers in a box, along with a few old caps. The guy I bought it from had apparently fired it up recently, although he was pretty much a jerk who wouldn't even hold the door for the guys moving it out. He knew nothing else about it, and had bought it at an estate sale.

So on a gamble, I fired it up and waited for smoke. Instead I got very nice, hum-free reception on both AM and FM. The tuner string is broken so I can't yet change the stations, but the auto-mode presets (not mechanical like a car radio! WOW!) are set for local stations. The green tuning eye also does its thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/1332690566.jpg

Next I moved on to the Cobra-matic record player. It spins on its own, amp works, although Dean Martin sounds a little slower than usual (I used one of my least-favorite Dino records, which means it's still a better album than most, lol.) I really have no idea how to operate this rather complex mechanism. I assume at least one of the tone arms is for 78s, the other for 33/45s. For the photos, I put both of them on the album just to confuse my friends. Or maybe this is to play Beatles albums backwards?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/1332690568.jpg

Counting on my luck everywhere else, I decided to power up the TV, watching the back for smoke, fire and explosions while my girlfriend watched the screen for any signs of life. She saw light on the screen before I spotted any disasters. I came around the front and saw a decent raster (shrunken and obviously not showing any signals).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/Chromacolor2/1332690572.jpg

So here are a few questions:

1) Why is there a display on the right which only shows channel 2, while the left shows channel 3-13 and a blank spot?

2) What is the momentary contact switch under the screen? I know they used to put a conventional switch to go from round to square picture, but I don't see how a momentary switch would do this?

3) What year is this beast from? I'm guessing '49.

I love that I've been collecting old TVs since I was a kid, and I still find weird stuff I've never seen before!

vinljnkie
03-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Could the momentary switch be activated when the doors are closed to shut off the tv? Just guessing here, but it would make sense.

ggregg
03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Wonderful!! I think your right about the year and I agree on the switch. That would be my absolute favorite porthole combo and it looks to be in great shape.

Sandy G
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Dah-Yum, Me Olde Sonnw, methinks you got a Treasure, there....

ShartZenith
03-25-2012, 04:24 PM
That dude must weigh as much as a Mack truck! It is beautiful though. Good luck with it. I've been searching for nearly a year for a Zenith roundie floor model but haven't come up with one within easy driving distance from here in Kansas City. Tsk! Tsk!

Eric H
03-25-2012, 04:59 PM
This is the same TV chassis as the one discussed in another thread, 1948 or 49 I think.

It's a Combo version of the Mayflower tabletop, the number 2 you are seeing is the volume control, they numbered it just like an Amplifier, I can't remember if it goes to 11 though. :D

The Mayflower weighs something like 93 lbs, the heaviest tabletop I've ever lifted, I can't even imagine what this must weigh.

stromberg6
03-25-2012, 05:44 PM
WOWWWW!!! What a find! I'm very familiar with the radio chassis, as are many more folks I'm sure, but the combination of the radio, the two-speed COBRA changer with two tone arms AND a porthole TV is amazing IMO! You DO have a real gem. Congratulations on a wonderful find! :banana:

John Marinello
03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
#1 I believe is the contrast level
#2 = dial lights.

I would expect that one to be a '49 model, but possibly made in late '48.
Look at the back of the speaker. It should be stamped with a 343_ _ _ number.
The 4th digit should be the year, the 5th & 6th should represent the week.
I've noticed that many Zeniths have the month & year hand-written on the
shelf that the main chassis sits on.
I would expect that set uses a 16AP4.

The "Marlborough"

Carmine
03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Dial light it is! (Tried it) Weird that it's not labeled but then again neither is the concentric outer dial on the right hand side (inner is off/on/volume). Nothing moves the number 2 on the right side.

I spin the tuner and it displays 3,5,8,10,12, 13 and "blank". I suppose that could be something wrong with the indicator drive, but it feels fine and I don't see any of the missing numbers flash by.

?

I do hope the set is from 1948... I believe that's Zenith's first year for TV production, and being a huge Zenith fan, it would be great to have their first model.

Eric H
03-25-2012, 10:24 PM
The dial string is broken on your volume control, the numbers are printed backwards because the Prism in the bezel reverses them.

cwmoser
03-26-2012, 05:39 AM
That's one great looking Porthole. Makes me want one too. BTW, I put both my TV-only Porthole consoles on "carpet coasters" so they could be easily slid around when I am working on them. You are likely to be in the back of that gorgeous behemoth several times while you are doing the restoration, so what are you going to do?

Carl

John Marinello
03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
There is a ball chain that rotates that CONTRAST level indicator.

Eric H
03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Oh it's Contrast, been so long since I worked on mine I forgot that.

dieseljeep
03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
The "Marlborough"[/QUOTE]
Remember the cigarette comercial, " You get more to like with a Marlborough".