View Full Version : Going to Knoxville Tomorrow..

Sandy G
03-01-2012, 08:19 PM
To pick up my 1949-50 Zenith 12" Porthole, & possibly my 8" Arvin...Whatever Terry has for me...Will let U know ASAP I get home...I'm diggin' on My Porthole...Wanted one o' Those since WHENEVER...they're SO "1950"...NOT mid or Late '50s...Will let U know ASAP...Wish me luck...-Sandy

tvtimeisfun
03-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Hey Sandy hope you score big may be you would be a real sport and send me that Arvin on our next crapswap(grin) Timothy

cwmoser
03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Post some pictures of that Porthole TV. Many of us love to see them.

Carl

Sandy G
03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Well, got home w/it, its SAFELY ensconsed in the back of LA's Touareg, & there it will stay til tomorrow, as I'm too Pooped to Pop...Its more than I REALLY wanna handle solo, its not that's all that heavy, its just AWKWARD as all hell...I would HATE for my 10-yr sojourn to get a specific Zenith Porthole end up in shards because of me tryin' to Show What a Man I am...Besides, I need to clean off my workbench, 'cause I wanna REALLY "Detail" clean it & get some brown shoe polish to go over the vinyl/plastic/leather covering.

vts1134
03-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I for one am teeming with anticipation for some pictures :nutz:.

Electronic M
03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Since yall'r drool'n for porthole pictures I'll show ya sumpthin unusual to wet your appitite. Feast yer eyes on the bizzare spectacle of a porthole working on it's original caps (save for 3-5 maroon droops from a OLD repair).

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/DSCN0664.jpg
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/DSCN0650.jpg

If yours displays this good of a picture sandy then you'll know your repair guy got it going "like new". :D

I'd seriously like to see this set ya been yakin' about for all this time as well.

Sandy G
03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Mine is a "Claridge", a 12" tabletop. You can see one operating on Youtube-"Liberace-Nola-On 1950 Zenith Television"

Sandy G
03-02-2012, 08:39 PM
I would be remiss unless I gave proper kudos to whom I GOT this set from-Our own Harry Poster. I've bought TVs from Harry several times, along w/a CRT or 2, & while, yes, you WILL pay a bit more froim Harry, you also WILL get what you wanted, & it will be shipped PROPERLY-No worries about gettting made into Doodle-Dust. Harry, I Salute you !

charokeeroad
03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I would be remiss unless I gave proper kudos to whom I GOT this set from-Our own Harry Poster. I've bought TVs from Harry several times, along w/a CRT or 2, & while, yes, you WILL pay a bit more froim Harry, you also WILL get what you wanted, & it will be shipped PROPERLY-No worries about gettting made into Doodle-Dust. Harry, I Salute you !

I don't know why you are telling everyone how great Harry Poster is. He advertised four CRTs on ebay and claimed that they were in the very good reading. I bought all four all the CRTs tested far below the Very Good reading one was dead one tested three on the B&K 465 meter. He told me he thought I would just put them in a set and if they worked that would justify a Very Good reading. Well he got a surprise when I tested the CRTs before I put them in a set. I tried to return three of them but he refused to take one back that I read as DEAD! The last one because he had miss labled it didn't get picked up for return. He blaims ME for it. I told him to never do business with me again PERIOD!!

WISCOJIM
03-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't know where you get off telling everyone how great Harry Poster is. He advertised four CRTs on ebay and claimed that they were in the very good reading. I bought all four all the CRTs tested far below the Very Good reading one was dead one tested three on the B&K 465 meter. He told me he thought I would just put them in a set and if they worked that would justify a Very Good reading. Well he got a surprise when I tested the CRTs before I put them in a set. I tried to return three of them but he refused to take one back that I read as DEAD! The last one because he had miss labled it didn't get picked up for return. He blaims ME for it. I told him to never do business with me again PERIOD!!

Then why haven't you left him negative feedback for those four auctions? If this is true, don't you feel any obligation to warn others on eBay itself?

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=hposter&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=VIP:feedback

charokeeroad
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Then why haven't you left him negative feedback for those four auctions? If this is true, don't you feel any obligation to warn others on eBay itself?

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=hposter&ftab=AllFeedback&sspagename=VIP:feedback

Your right I will do it today. Thanks

charokeeroad
03-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Your right I will do it today. Thanks

Done!

Sandy G
03-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Well, I hate to hear that-but MY experience w/Harry has been 100% POSITIVE-2-3 TVs, a couple CRTS, & a few other odds 'n' ends. I also got the impression that Harry would do everything he could to make something right. Just my .02 worth.

Sandy G
03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I cleaned 'er up today, 1st w/Windex & soft cloths-It was kinda NASTY, & then went down to Wally-World & got some brown shoe polish. Went over it w/that, my wife donated a pair of her pantyhose to "Buff" it with, I must say it looks GREAT ! It kinda "Glows" rather than "Shines", but that's what you want. Feels smooth, too. Just a few "Boogers", for the most part the shoe polish hides 'em, & anyway, they kinda give it a "Patina" of age.Maybe I oughta break out the Digicam & take a few pics...

cwmoser
03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
That is quite amazing.
Did you purchase that Porthole at the Early Television conference last year?

Carl

Since yall'r drool'n for porthole pictures I'll show ya sumpthin unusual to wet your appitite. Feast yer eyes on the bizzare spectacle of a porthole working on it's original caps (save for 3-5 maroon droops from a OLD repair).

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/DSCN0664.jpg
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i469/ElectronicMemory/DSCN0650.jpg

If yours displays this good of a picture sandy then you'll know your repair guy got it going "like new". :D

I'd seriously like to see this set ya been yakin' about for all this time as well.

Sandy G
03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Naw, I got it from Harry back in the Summer/Fall...He sent it in, I took it out of the box, put it in the back of my wife's Touareg,& took it to Terry the next day..Actually, I think Evan or Jess, transferred it to the Touareg...I never even really LOOKED at it B4 I took it to Terry...

vts1134
03-05-2012, 06:00 AM
I think he was asking Tom where he got his porthole, I could be wrong though.

Electronic M
03-06-2012, 12:32 AM
That is quite amazing.
Did you purchase that Porthole at the Early Television conference last year?

Carl

Yup, and for the pittance of 20$! The CRT was dead, but Nick, and Mark tested the tube for me and resurrected it. It now has emissions in the lower good zone with a brightener, and somewhere below the good zone without. Once I got back it pretty much came to life after a SLOW (read over cautious) power up on my variac. I've run it about 2-4 hours worth as it is, and the lytics (the ones not too close to the CRT for me to safely touch) have never gotten warm even after over an hour of (closely monitored) run time. :)

I'm not sure if I should leave it electrically as is and turn it on occasionally as one of those "ooh wow!" sets or recap it. My monochrome sets don't get used much anyway.

cwmoser
03-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Yup, and for the pittance of 20$! The CRT was dead, but Nick, and Mark tested the tube for me and resurrected it. It now has emissions in the lower good zone with a brightener, and somewhere below the good zone without. Once I got back it pretty much came to life after a SLOW (read over cautious) power up on my variac. I've run it about 2-4 hours worth as it is, and the lytics (the ones not too close to the CRT for me to safely touch) have never gotten warm even after over an hour of (closely monitored) run time. :)

I'm not sure if I should leave it electrically as is and turn it on occasionally as one of those "ooh wow!" sets or recap it. My monochrome sets don't get used much anyway.

I recommend you document (YouTube, a website, etc) how you found it and how it played with much of the circuitry it originally came with ... then restore it both electrically and also the cabinet. Leaving it like it is might someday kill off something hard to replace or cause a fire - then it might be useful for nothing more than a parts set.

You do have an interesting story that should be preserved with that TV. It will be a really beautiful TV with restoration.

Carl

Sandy G
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Wish I knew the history of my "Claridge"...

ShartZenith
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm v e r y envious about your acquisition but glad you got one. I've been looking around here (kansas City area) since last Spring and have found zilch. Only a few combo rectangular tube models circa '51 later. One junker about 90 miles away I didn't pursue and other false alarms on craigslist near and somewhat afar. I keep lookin' and hopin'. At least I have my working Predicta to watch when I want to but its not a "roundie!"

Sandy G
03-08-2012, 03:02 AM
Well, I'd lookied high/lookied low around here for 10 years & NEVER found one, so I called Harry Poster in Noo Joisey & one got down here Post-Haste...(grin)