View Full Version : Just acquired my own 621TS

dieseljeep
02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I was reading about all the entries on the restoration of this set. It piqued my interest in obtaining one. I picked up one that looks in pretty good order. I'm going to have to start including pictures of some of my finds.:yes:

Eric H
02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Cool! My favorite set of all. There's one on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940s-JOHN-VASSOS-RCA-PRE-WAR-channel-1-OLD-ART-DECO-TELEVISION-/140698372683?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20c246ca4b) now too.

By all means, post some pictures because :worthless

dieseljeep
02-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Cool! My favorite set of all. There's one on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940s-JOHN-VASSOS-RCA-PRE-WAR-channel-1-OLD-ART-DECO-TELEVISION-/140698372683?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20c246ca4b) now too.

By all means, post some pictures because :worthless
I'm working on the problem regarding the pictures. My set is almost as good as the one on E**y and not quite as pricey. The back and bottom plate is missing, but the HV cage is there.

Sandy G
02-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Ahh Hate Yew !- Yosemite Sam, Esq. (grin) Kewl score ! Is it a dark one or the blonde version ?

vts1134
02-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Congrats on the acquisition. I'm glad that my thread inspired you to take the leap. I'm learning a huge amount with my current restoration. That is one of the good parts about having a set that doesn't work after a full recap is that you get the chance to dive in and learn more about the set, and the process. That being said hopefully I can get back to posting progress pictures soon and you'll be able to learn from some of my mistakes.

dieseljeep
02-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Ahh Hate Yew !- Yosemite Sam, Esq. (grin) Kewl score ! Is it a dark one or the blonde version ?

It's the dark wood model with the black trim. All the proper knobs. The tuner appears to be gummed up. The selector turns rather hard. The AC cord was cut off, which is no loss, as they are all dried up anyway. I never saw low voltage electrolytics in the vertical circuit in a set that early. I'll be back with more later.:yes:

tvtimeisfun
02-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Naey congrats on the great find I wish I was that lucky to aquire such a set maybe one of these days ny ship will come in... Timothy

dieseljeep
02-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Naey congrats on the great find I wish I was that lucky to aquire such a set maybe one of these days ny ship will come in... Timothy

It's refreshing to see all the younger people taking an interest in this early technology. I never saw too many of these sets around. This was from a TV servicer that retired. I have to check the CRT this PM. Try to keep y'all posted on my progress.:thmbsp:

dieseljeep
02-12-2012, 07:54 PM
It's refreshing to see all the younger people taking an interest in this early technology. I never saw too many of these sets around. This was from a TV servicer that retired. I have to check the CRT this PM. Try to keep y'all posted on my progress.:thmbsp:

Update: The CRT checks out fairly good. One of the negatives, appearance wise. Someone altered the CRT mask, to make it look more like a porthole. I can make a new mask, easily enough. Also the cabinet finish is a little rough. It still uses the pre-war RCA Victor logo. I opened the HV enclosure. The flyback looks real good for its age. More info later.