View Full Version : Blank Betamax Tapes

packrat79
02-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Does anyone have any interest in some blank betamax tapes? I have a couple hundred or so I acquired, they were recorded once but never used again. All are in pristine condition, most have blank labels and many have new sets of labels with them. Brands include TDK, Maxell, Memorex, Polaroid, etc.
If there's enough interest I may list then on eBay, or the classified section of this site.

Dangler
02-05-2012, 05:02 PM
What would you have to get for them? I don't know if I need a couple of hundred tho.

packrat79
02-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd probably sell them for around $1 each (maybe $2 each for the really good ones), you could buy as few or as many as you want. I just want to know if they're worth listing, if so I'll probably put them on eBay as there is more exposure there.

bgadow
02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
They've all been erased?

packrat79
02-06-2012, 09:42 AM
They will be... someone (not me) had recorded bootleg movies on them, so they have to be erased before I can sell them. I plan to use a bulk tape eraser.....

Eric H
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Do they have old commercials on them? Those are usually far more interesting than any readily available Movie.

packrat79
02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Unfortunately no, I actually bought these for that same purpose but I think the seller pulled a fast one on me. He claimed there was stuff from the late 70's, but all of the tapes were from 1981 on. Most of the movies are either from pay-per-view or copies of rental tapes (some are even from demo tapes that say "not for rental" in mid-movie, not sure where these came from.....). Out of 200+ tapes I only found 2 or 3 with commercials, one was from A&E in the late 80's, the other was from CTV in the mid 90's.
These tapes were not local, so I had someone pick them up for me.... if I'd seen them in person, I probably would have realized what was really on them and taken a pass. Obviously I can't sell bootleg movies so the only other option is to erase them and sell as blank tape.
Pirate copying seems to have been a much bigger problem with the Beta format.... I guess it must have been immune to Macrovision or other copy-protection schemes.
I'm always looking for old commercials myself, especially two that I fondly remember from the early 80s: Rust-Check ("Keeps the rusties away forever") and Smarties ("... do you eat the red ones last?"). Anyone ever come across those?

Electronic M
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE] packrat79
I guess it must have been immune to Macrovision or other copy-protection schemes.
[QUOTE/]

Not immune, but more accurately not equipped to process macrovsion. All older video tape recorders that predate a certain point where film makers got their panties in a bunch over the possibility of bootleg video tapes ruining their profits did not have circuits to process macrovision. The units that can process macrovision either don't record when one tries to record a macrovision protected signal or record a messed up signal. Where ones that can't process macrovision (Sony refused to add macrovision copy protection processing to their Beta format for longer than most brands/fromats) record the program just fine without being effected by the macrovision signal.

Why bother erasing them....just claim that you don't have a Beta deck and don't know what is on them the new owner will likely just record over them anyway.

Electrohome
02-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Macrovision was first intoduced in about 1983 to combat piracy. All pre-1983 VCRs both Beta and VHS will ignore the Macrovision signal I do believe as well.
Disney was one of the first movie companies to use the Macrovision technology to protect their movies on both of their Beta and VHS releases in about 1983-84.
There were a few other pre-1983 copy-protection systems employed on home video releases as well on both Beta and VHS also which were very, very rarely used.

packrat79
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Why bother erasing them....just claim that you don't have a Beta deck and don't know what is on them the new owner will likely just record over them anyway.

It would be pretty hard to pass off that excuse, with a stack of 20+ Beta VCRs stacked up in the corner.....