View Full Version : Service Van Stock List 1961

Labrat
01-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Hello all.
I have scanned one of three "service van stock lists" that I have from the early 1960's I might have to post it in three parts as it is twelve pages long. It is most probably from a service vehicle in Melbourne Australia, and shows the service stock and quantities for the local brands listed.

The prices are in pounds, shillings, and pence. Australia did not change over to dollars and cents until 14th Feb 1966

I find it best to expand the pictures to view them. This document might be a bit long, but this is worth reading completely as it gives a most comprehensive look into the past.

When I did road service work back in the mid to late 1970's I carried a large case of valves and a back-up case of valves as van stock. (In Australia we called them valves, unless they were a display, picture tube magic-eye etc)
I also carried resistors, fuses, some semiconductors and a range of knobs for the popular brands. To begin with, I did only B&W TV road service, the older techs kept the colour TV service to themselves.

I do not know which company this list comes from. Perhaps someone will recognize the part number (company) code.

The other pages of the list will be posted soon

Wayne

Labrat
01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Here is thew next part of the list.

It covers the brands A.W.A. (Amalgamated Wireless Australasia)
Astor
Healing
Precedent
Kriesler
Bush Simpson
Pye
S.T.C. (Standard Telephone & Cables)

Two more pages to come

Wayne

Labrat
01-26-2012, 08:56 PM
The final part of the list covers the brands

Stromberg Carlson
Philips
H.M.V. (His Master's Voice)

I would like to see van stock lists from other countries.

Wayne

ChrisW6ATV
01-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Very interesting, thank you for posting those lists.

The markups to retail are not as big as I would expect for parts delivered to a customer's home.

AndrewM
01-27-2012, 03:54 PM
It's little gems like these scans that make this such an interesting hobby.

The service companies internal part number code appears to be quite straightforward to decipher. The first letter (T) is most likely the first letter of the companies name and the second letter is the part type (R - Resistor, C - Condensor etc).
I'd have to go and check in some old trade magazines to see what companies in Melbourne beginning with T were around in 1961. I'm not sure when Telefix started operations but the van stock list indicates a large organisation as I doubt any small business could afford that amount of spares stock in their van.

Username1
01-27-2012, 04:27 PM
......... H.M.V....... is that Australian for R.C.A. ? ...........

Labrat
01-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Dear Username 1

H.M.V. used the dog with the gramophone logo. This logo was used in Japan by J.V.C. (Japanese Victor Company)

H.M.V. was the public face of E.M.I. Australia Limited. Homebush N.S.W.

Earlier service manuals for H.M.V. are marked "The Gramophone Company Limited" (Incorporated in England) Homebush N.S.W.

When I get some time, I shall scan and post the logos for the local brands. It might be a good idea for others to do the same. I have no idea what the logos for "foreign" brands look like.

R.C.A. and G.E. I believe were swallowed up by the Thompson Group. I have worked on their products here, and believe me, they are 200% European in design circuitry, style, and alignment.

Wayne.

Electronic M
01-28-2012, 11:47 AM
H. M. V./E. M. I. were the British subsidiaries of the Victor Talking Machine co. of the USA. Even after RCA bought out (or merged with) Victor the connection of the British branch of Victor maintained a strong enough connection with RCA-victor that old Sarnoff shared his (stolen) experimental TV patents with E. M. I./ H. M. V. directly leading to the development of the British 405 line standard.

AndrewM
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
The Australian company A.W.A. (Amalgamated Wireless Australasia) is the nearest thing to an Australian R.C.A. They had engineering ties with R.C.A. going back to the 1950's and based their first black and white TV on an R.C.A. design. In the mid 1970's A.W.A. briefly used R.C.A. colour CRT's in their first colour TV although the chassis was an English design.