View Full Version : Worst Cataract - can you top this?

DavGoodlin
01-10-2012, 08:42 AM
1968 Westinghouse CP88A18A works but needs some love.
My first attempted cataract repair. Unheated storage probably makes it worse.
Anybody have one of these animals?

andy
01-10-2012, 10:18 AM

ctc17
01-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Neat set! That has to be rare. That should come right off after a nice long soak in the hot summer sun.

DavGoodlin
01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I had a console version (same exact chassis) but hastily parted it out after carelessly knocking the CRT socket in my over-crowded shop. I figured a series-filament console was way too cheap and not worth my time. I wish I had my time machine, I'd go back to 1979, cause I have not seen another.

It sure is interesting on the inside with circuits using series-string tubes that only some North Jersey Engineers (probably from Emerson) could come up with. This is no RCA clone.

Just like GE, these were sold as a sideline with appliances, not real good sets, but simple to fix.

1993ctc175
01-11-2012, 07:45 AM
I have Seen this Set Before!!!!!

It is Definitly a Genuine set!! I fixed some of those. The biggest Customer is Ponderosa Hotel they have at least 25 of them!!!!

It's Chassis Model # is X-2656-xx (Usually the model # ends with any last two numbers.

It's chassis was mainly design for use in 23" and 25" models so, that why the cabinet of the 19" set in the picture is so wide!

It's HV cage that houses the flyback transformer and the HV Rect shapes like a Apollo Saturn 5 Rocket.

Refer to Cataract problems I have understood that is a VERY COMMON PROBLEMS!

This kind of problems has nothing to do with CRT emissions.

so, once again It's Chassis Model Number is X-2656-XX (end with any last two numbers)

dieseljeep
01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
I sold one of those sets that was labeled "Bradford". Anyone that would own 25 of them must of been a "glutton for punishment". The color circuit was simular to an RCA design. The tubes were the series string counterparts. Curtis Mathes also built a clone of that model.

DavGoodlin
01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Just got the sams 920 it on fleebay. It is a V2655-x chassis. The V2656 is the console version (Sams 969) using a 25GP22. That HV cage description is right on. The tubes are very repetive....RCA circuits.. too many 6GH8, 4HZ6. Half of 8FQ7 G-Y amp is a pincushion amp, several transistors make for very interesting circuits and even more interesting.

zenith2134
01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
hey...as someone who thumbs-thru Sams for fun, I have to chime in.: I tend to go for oddball, interesting circuits...This is a prime candidate it seems !

holmesuser01
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
I was given this exact model set in 1977. It had been dropped and had a crack in the circuit board.

I got the board to flex just right, and popped the crack back in place. I jumped every broken trace, and finally, it lit up.

I never did get color on it, but it had a terrific B/W picture. I sold it for $60.

In the early 1970's, I had another of these sets. Even then, the flyback, which was fried on this example, was unobtainable. I'd say this was around 1972-73.

I loved the rocket HV cage, and all those 6GH8's.

bgadow
01-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Another great find! That is about the most gruesome cataract I've seen in a TV. I've seen a couple round tubes that were poorly stored and got worse than that, but it takes work to get that bad!

Is that a Westinghouse-built crt? I wonder what year they started making color tubes? Something else I've wondered, and I've mentioned this before: in an old chassis-ID guide I have it shows the Magnavox and Westinghouse being identical, and Curtis-Mathes, as DieselJeep mentioned, seems to have used the same one as well. I've just been curious what the connection there was. Was it a joint effort, just a Westinghouse design, or ??? (I may be the only one in the world who really cares!)

1993ctc175
01-11-2012, 11:52 PM
for the Westinghouse Sets I think that I have the service Manual for the Westinghouse sets.

I have agreed with DavGoodin about the 2656 models tons of 6GH8s and some 4HZ8s.

Yes, i think the circuitry especially the chrominance in those 2656s models are a copycat of RCAs and even the flyback looks like RCA style.

someday I will look for the book and i think that X-2656-xx is a Canadian Model

BTW, I have seen one with Paralell heater circuitry having two heater transformers and the heater circuitry are fused in each set of circuitry. and it also have the On-Screen Tuning Bar that two tuning bars will joining into one each time the fine tuning is adjusted.

Electronic M
01-11-2012, 11:53 PM
If I recall right in 1958 Westinghouse introduced a rectangular COLOR CRT that was the first rectangular production model, and the only available rectangular tube for about 6 years.

sampson159
01-12-2012, 12:56 PM
that is as bad as i seen.i have a rca 25axp22 that is that bad or slightly worse.the neck is busted so no repair scheduled!yours is an easy fix.it will actually fall of with no heating required.

marty59
01-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Heck, that CRT looks like it has already been submerged with all those fissure lines throughout..should be an easy removal process especially after a little soaking if it doesn't seperate by itself first!

nasadowsk
01-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Ok, inside pics?

DavGoodlin
01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
"BTW, I have seen one with Paralell heater circuitry having two heater transformers and the heater circuitry are fused in each set of circuitry. and it also have the On-Screen Tuning Bar that two tuning bars will joining into one each time the fine tuning is adjusted." - 1993ctc175

IIRC - There are two filament transformers on the "back deck" which protrudes out from the chassis under the CRT socket. All the pots are located there also. That does explain the 6GH8's used as opposed to the 5GH8 seen in the RCA CTC22 and 36.

I also need to see if that tuning feature exists, but I do not remember it. Maybe the CP88B48 had it, but not my CP88A19. I attached the Consumers Reports for the year these were sold is amusing at best. It seems the Motorola and Westinghouse were the two most expensive sets. Have a look at the "Color TV Repairs" section. I'm guessing RCA and Sears did poorly due to over-use of service contracts, maybe the same is true for Packard Bell and Curtis Mathes (these are almost non-existent in this corner of the US), which brands everybody seems to be aware of anyway. :scratch2:

I will open it up this weekend and post some photos. 172877

DavGoodlin
01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Here is the rear of chassis - the bottom - and from above (the 'lytics will be a cinch to stuff :thmbsp:)
The inside without the chassis is most revealing. This set was the most basic, judging by the other possible cutouts. I even had to add the zenith speaker on the right...such a shame to waste a prepared opening like that. Notice the lead skirting on the CRT. Westinghouse did nuclear energy back in the day and this set has numerous clues to that awareness.:D
A telling CRT label - and it tests 100% with good cutoff
The right jig for 19" kine - a 5 gallon bucket with foam pipe insulation:yes:
We have liftoff
Nice and clean
Bright and safe again!

DavGoodlin
01-20-2012, 09:46 AM

jstout66
01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Boy... Westinghouse didn't want any lead exposure. LOL!
I see the CRT is a replacement. GE, code-date 1973.
I always wonder when I see replacement CRT's that aren't much newer than the sets. Obviously on this one, the original failed within 5 years.

holmesuser01
01-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Boy... Westinghouse didn't want any lead exposure. LOL!
I see the CRT is a replacement. GE, code-date 1973.
I always wonder when I see replacement CRT's that aren't much newer than the sets.

Lets hope that it was replaced under warranty. I rarely replaced CRT's in the years I had my shop.

1993ctc175
01-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Yes, Regarding to the Chassis of the Westinghouse Set this is Exactly the Chassis that I have seen.

Like I said, When I was a high school student I have fixed a 25" Westinghouse for my Homeroom Teacher.

Also, I have a Service manual for the Westinghouse Sets

jstout66
01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
probably not... manufactures were kinda stingy on the warranties. I bet 2 years max on the CRT. We rarely replaced one in our shop either. We'd come across some bad ones, so my Uncle would try to rejuvinate first, so the ones that got replaced were really bad.
Whenever I see an old set that had the tube replaced within the first 5-7 years, I always wonder if it was a repair shop running up the bill. Especially on roundies (those 21FJ's were bullet proof)
I have a 68 Magnavox with a 1971 RCA replacement tube.. so the first tube didn't last 3 years, but the 2nd one tests good after 40? hummmm.....

DavGoodlin
01-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Magnavox, Philco and GE sets had some of the shortest-lived CRTs IMO.
RCA (then Thomsen) built them about 3 miles from here in Lancaster. RCA's seemed to last reasonably long enough, except the early 21"s when reds got weak first.
The years I worked in the "business end" were 1979-86. The only replacement CRTs I remember were (starting most desirable) Sylvania, RCA, Maganavox, Channel Master

My long-time living room set was a Mag T995-01 touch -tune ca. 1977. Rescued it as a trade in 1985 with bad CRT (no surprise) bought a Maganvox replacement (Philips?) and it lasted till the set's end in 2005...Hmmm indeed!

testing all the tubes in the W-house tonight (methinks there is a single OEM tube- ???)

holmesuser01
01-23-2012, 08:31 AM
My dad had the surgery. He said it felt like a grain of sand in the eyes for a few days, but he had drops for that. He noticed a vast improvement in his vision the next day. As soon as the first eye healed, he had the other one done.

I've had eye surgery, too. Not cataracts, but Radial Keritotamy. Slits in the cornea that caused the optics in my eyes to shift correcting my very bad near-sightedness to 20/20 for almost 25 years. Now, I am on reading glasses.

On CRT cataracts, I use the hot wire method. Nichrome wire and an electric train transformer. I go really slow, and it slices.