View Full Version : RCA KCS 117A alignment. Yey! It worked!

nasadowsk
09-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Well, I got my KCS117A chassis RCA aligned. What a PITA!!!

Well, after trying it a few times, I finally decided to pull the IF strip board out and see if there was anything wrong.

Three resistors!

One, the 2nd IF's plate resistor had doubled in value. A few cathode ones did bad things too.

Went through the set again - after peaking the various coils as per the Sam's, I then did a sweep alignment - the markers all were darn close and it needed only minor touch up to get darn near perfect!

There's only a few minor things. Nit picking :)

* A very very light effect that looks like ringing you're tuned to the sharpest picture. Basically, repeated faint images of anyything really bright, to the right of it. 3 or so. Very faint though.

* Touchy AGC control - it goes from really light to overload really quick.

* The 4.5 Mhz trap isn't aligned (my fault - no 4.5mhz gen around yet)

* The CRT is weak (thanks RCA :thmbsp: )

* It drifts a bit. Duh. Need to tweak the fine tuning after a while.

* Still can't get channels 7, 9, 11,13 well. All my tube TVs are like this. That's ABC, UPN, WB, and PBS. No big loss! :) But I'd like it all there for the heck of it.

But overall, it's really nice. I need to get the geometry setup still - the sizes are both way over and the very lin is bad and the yoke's tilted. It's very watchable though. I'll have to get screen pics soon.

Oh yeah, this set has the LOUDEST vertical section I've ever heard. I can tell even with my back to the set if it's synch'd or not. it sounds like there's a motor running in there. I don't know how RCA did this :rolleyes: