View Full Version : RCA CTC 16-XL alignment curves?

nasadowsk
09-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Anyone gt a decent sized scan of the RCA CTC-16XL's IF curve? I'm trying to get mine working right, and so far, it's pretty clear as a B&W picture, but has sound (associated) interference, and the color is a bit weird - it's like the red green and blue are misconverged, but in B&W it looks fine.

I'm looking for the video IF curve and the Chroma section. I don't have an RCA CTC-16 book, just a schematic now.

Oh yeah, any other hints would be helpful - I've got this 'streaking' problem too where there's a light white streak to the right of any white object on the screen - and this carries until a dark object, or the edge. DC restoration or blanker trouble?

Slowly but surely, I'm getting this set working...

Thanks!

captainmoody
09-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Don't worry about alignment yet, Find the problem in the color section first. Possibly an open bandpass transformer or an open coil. RCA was known for the coils corroding and opening up after a few years.
When I repaired my CTC 21 no chroma alignment was necessary even after replacing components in that section!

nasadowsk
09-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I've not touched the chroma section yet, and I know there's a few 'issues' in it, though maybe not the alignment.

But I *know* the IF alignment isn't right because I had to go through the IF strip a few times - there were a number of bad resistors and it wouldn't come close until they were replaced. Right now, I've got it roughly there - I had a copy of a Sylvania 580 chassis IF curve, which is basically a CTC-15 derrived set, and I used that. The picture's good, it just has a bit of associated sound noise that the sound trap can't get rid of.

I haven't adjusted the 4.5mhz trap yet, though.

I'm not sure what the IF frequency for the sound is on this set, I'm figuring that I might try to knock the curve around a bit, at least until I get a manual and can get it factory adjusted.

It's watchable, though, and better than it was when I got it (noise, poor signal, etc)