View Full Version : 13" Zenith CCII space command TV from '76

radiotvnut
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
A friend picked this up for $1 at an estate sale and gave it to me. It's a 13" Zenith space command CCII with a motorized varactor tuner. I think it took a one button clicker style remote since the volume is manually operated and the "off" position can be programmed to an unused channel on the tuner. I used a remote from around 1960 to turn it on and it does produce a picture; but, it needs the usual help. In 20 years, I've only seen one 13" CCII Zenith manually tuned set and never a remote set. Oh, and did I mention that it's heavy as heck?

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2011_1205console0021.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2011_1205console0022.jpg

jstout66
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
oh man... I would love to come across one of those.
I remember unpacking them new from the box, and yes.... HEAVY!
I bet they could be a bitch to work on. ALL Chromacolor chassis, SQUEEZED in that case. Fantastic picture on them when they were new. I bet the 13" tube has held up well tho.

radiotvnut
12-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes, the tube looks strong. It has multiple loose connections, dirty controls, and possibly a few bad caps. I have not opened it yet; but, I suspect it's very tight in there. Now, I need to find an original style remote.

Gunslinger
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM
the pots in the tuner control were problematic. I have new ones if you need them.

Jeffhs
12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
It's a 13" Zenith space command CCII with a motorized varactor tuner. I think it took a one button clicker style remote since the volume is manually operated and the "off" position can be programmed to an unused channel on the tuner. I used a remote from around 1960 to turn it on and it does produce a picture; but, it needs the usual help. In 20 years, I've only seen one 13" CCII Zenith manually tuned set and never a remote set. Oh, and did I mention that it's heavy as heck?

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2011_1205console0021.jpg

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff341/radiotvnut/2011_1205console0022.jpg

You are correct. This Zenith CCII does use a one-button "SC100" remote, which only changes channels in one direction; if you overshoot the channel you want, you have to go all the way to channel 2 (18 positions [!]) and start over again.

One of those channel positions, as you noted, can be set to turn the TV off; however, the set must be turned on manually, as the SC-100 remote system is not set up to power the set on by remote. Neither is the volume adjustable remotely (as you discovered), but that's the way of it with the SC100 remote control. This was a bare-bones remote control system, nothing fancy by any means.

How good is the picture on your new (to you) CCII? Those sets, as others have noted, make excellent pictures when they are working as they should, and if the CRT is in good shape. Once you clean the controls, replace any doubtful or outright defective capacitors, and do whatever other maintenance this set requires in its present state, you will have a TV you can be proud of. This set, like all Zeniths before LG took over and smashed their reputation to bits (!), will serve you well for years to come.

Good luck.

zenith2134
12-05-2011, 07:31 PM
hey, what's up Bryan? Great find. I liked the bit about how the 1960 remote control operated it...gotta love ultrasonic remote controls!
But yeah, that's a desirable set...I never see the 13" versions of these Chromacolors. And the fact that it has the motorized tuning and remote makes it even more desirable. Enjoy!

jstout66
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
another side note on these 13" Chromacolors.....
When we sold them new, we would brag to the customer that Zenith did NOT skimp on quality just because it was a 13". It basically has the same chassis as a 25".
On the downside, these were EXPENSIVE new, and not alot were sold.
On all of the Chromacolor series sets of that era, the "bones" of the sets were the same, what drove up price, was the tuner,screen size,remote option, and in the consoles..cabinet finish.
IIRC tho.. in EARLY Chromacolors 2's, these were the only inline tubes. I don't think they ever made a Delta gun tube for the 13" Chromacolor 2's.
Zenith went total inline when the System 3's came out. Other than the 13" set, you will only see an inline tube on that chassis in a 19" set in the final year of Chromacolor 2 production. This style of 13" was continued into the System 3 series.

1993ctc175
12-06-2011, 04:05 AM
I have a 13" tv JUST LIKE the one in the picture but identical. It was a '78 with mechanical tuners I have agreed the little tv is heavy!

It's model # is 13KC10

zenithfan1
12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Great score man! It's been years since I've seen that exact model. A few without remote have been around but in bad shape so I passed. That looks like a keeper to me!

gellis
12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
You are correct. This Zenith CCII does use a one-button "SC100" remote, which only changes channels in one direction; if you overshoot the channel you want, you have to go all the way to channel 2 (18 positions [!]) and start over again.

One of those channel positions, as you noted, can be set to turn the TV off; however, the set must be turned on manually, as the SC-100 remote system is not set up to power the set on by remote. Neither is the volume adjustable remotely (as you discovered), but that's the way of it with the SC100 remote control. This was a bare-bones remote control system, nothing fancy by any means.

How good is the picture on your new (to you) CCII? Those sets, as others have noted, make excellent pictures when they are working as they should, and if the CRT is in good shape. Once you clean the controls, replace any doubtful or outright defective capacitors, and do whatever other maintenance this set requires in its present state, you will have a TV you can be proud of. This set, like all Zeniths before LG took over and smashed their reputation to bits (!), will serve you well for years to come.

Good luck.

I think jeffhs is partially incorrect with his statement. My father had a TV repair shop and I recall as a youngster back in the (19)70's that those space command 100's could actually turn the set on with the remote even if the set was off by means of the channel dial off position. A simple press of the button (assuming the TV was plugged in) and the channel knob would rotate there by turning the set on. However, its important to note that the space command 100 system will not be of any use because of the analog NTSC shut down (which took place on June 12, 2009 for those living in the USA) as this TV was designed to work on the now obsolete NTSC format. You will have to connect this TV to an ATSC to NTSC converter box (unless you have one or more local LPTV stations). Even after connecting the set to the converter box (assuming you have no LPTV stations in your area) you will have to constantly press the button (on the space command 100 remote control) numerous times in which to simply turn the set off (!) This can be rather inefficient and impractical IMHO. With a 13" picture tube (as measured diagonally from corner to corner of the viewing area of the CRT) the viewer is most likely not going to be that far away from the set to begin with, so why such a TV would need a remote control is beyond me, but perhaps Zenith did their homework by conducting a marketing analysis in order to justify the production of such small TV's with remote control :dunno:

andy
12-06-2011, 05:47 PM

radiotvnut
12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I opened up this set tonight and it was made in Chicago and has a large power transformer. I'll bet this is one of the few 13" sets ever made with a full sized power transformer. In fact, it's the only 13" TV, tube or SS, that I've seen with a power transformer.

And, yes, I can power up the set with the remote. Right now, I'm using it on a converter box; but, our cable system still delivers channels 2-12 in analog. How long will that last? Who knows; but, probably not long.

This Zenith is the type of set that would be found in someone's bedroom, if they were very "well off".

Jeffhs
12-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I think jeffhs is partially incorrect with his statement. ... With a 13" picture tube (as measured diagonally from corner to corner of the viewing area of the CRT) the viewer is most likely not going to be that far away from the set to begin with, so why such a TV would need a remote control is beyond me, but perhaps Zenith did their homework by conducting a marketing analysis in order to justify the production of such small TV's with remote control :dunno:

Thanks sincerely for the correction. I was always under the impression that the SC100 remote control system could be set only to turn the television off, using a locally blank VHF channel to activate the power switch when the tuner reached that position; did not realize, until now, that it could power on the set as well. The remote receivers in these TVs must always be on, as long as the TV is plugged into an active AC outlet -- regardless of whether the television itself is on or off.

Remote control can be useful on a 13" TV if, for example, the set is in a bedroom, and the owner wants nearly complete basic control of the set from his or her bed -- for example, if he/she was watching a late-night movie (broadcast TV stations still ran those in 1976) and wants to shut off the set immediately after the end of the film without getting up. Similar systems with wired remotes are also used with hospital televisions, but ordinarily a set in a healthcare setting will have a much larger picture and a pillow speaker.

AUdubon5425
12-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Heck, I still have a 13" in the bedroom. I was very grateful for the DTV box's remote when I had surgery last year.

Electronic M
12-09-2011, 04:52 PM
That is a very cool set!

Chad Hauris
12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
I have an almost identical set but it is a System 3. It uses the electronic type ultrasonic remote transmitter and the manual volume control knob is just to allow you to set the maximum volume level. It will do channel up/down, volume continuously up/down, power on/off and mute.
Also my '79 23" remote Chromacolor II is this way too. Zenith must have improved the remote receiver in these few years to change from either the 1-button or 4-button mechanical transmitter to the electronic transmitter.

bgadow
12-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Chad, maybe you need this? It's a NOS store display that I think would go around the front of the set. I'd like to find it a good home.