View Full Version : Interesting Motorola

Charlie
12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I come across this a couple of nights ago... typical Motorola set of the 50's, except for one thing... the door (or front cover). Never seen one designed like this.

Somehow I have the feeling it looks to have the dreaded 21EP4... however it does put light on the screen.

The set is nice looking... I wish it were closer. I dig that cabinet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-OLD-MID-50S-BLONDE-MOTOROLA-TV-FLIP-UP-FRONT-COVER-/220906738941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336f1154fd

Reece
12-04-2011, 12:10 PM
That is unique. Don't think any other mfr. tried that. There are some sort of dual use sets made like tea carts but don't think this had any other use than a cover for the tube.

ohohyodafarted
12-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Thats real neat. I think this was an inovation to satisfy the desire of consumers who wanted doors on their tv sets, but did not like the fact that when open the doors take up room on each side of the set if you want to swing the doors back all the way open.

By making the door slide into the top of the set, you can place furniture right next to the set without allowing any space along side the set to swing the doors all the way back. Very interesting desing which uses the philosophy that "form follows function"

bgadow
12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I have the same model. If you are on the east coast buy it from me! (for less than this auction btw) I recapped mine and it works okay but has a driveline or something in the middle of the raster. It's a great fifties look and not a hard to work on set. This is a '54 model as I recall; another member on here is looking for the '53 version which I've never seen in the wild.