View Full Version : Old Man and his TV

jstout66
12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Came across this picture at an estate sale. On the back is written "Grandpa Demmers" Anyway.. what kind of set is this? I would guess RCA.

Einar72
12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Looks like an RCA KCS-47 chassis model, 1950, unless my perception is off and it's a 19-incher...

David Roper
12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Looks like the 9-T-79 that miniman got last summer:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171505&d=1315187259

That be a 19"er.

miniman82
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
One and the same!

Still working on it, it's got some weird issues with the horizontal still. Some kinda unresolved ringing...

mbear2k
12-02-2011, 07:25 AM
"Grandpa Demmers" doesn't look happy. Reception problem, no raster, no HV? :D

Einar72
12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
No free trial size bottle of Serutan came with his recent purchase of Geritol!

jstout66
12-02-2011, 11:50 AM
No! HAHAHAHAHA
Here's another old pix from the Demmers family... perhaps in happier times?
The car is an "Overland" btw.....

mbear2k
12-02-2011, 01:36 PM
If that car is new, that must be grandpa Demmers on the far right.

David Roper
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
But if the TV was new he looked really bad for 35!

wa2ise
12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
The title of this thread sounds like a Hemmingway novel. "The Old Man and His TV" :D

47'Plymouth
12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
my great-grand parents own a model 9 AIR-COOLED Franklin,and Velie:yes::banana:

fujifrontier
12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
"grandpa demmers" doesn't look happy. Reception problem, no raster, no hv? :d

lmao!!

jstout66
12-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I will add another of "Grandpa Demmers" (for some reason I can't throw them away)
Written on the photo is "Joe 6yrs old 1912"
If this is the same guy, he looks really OLD in that pix, depending when it was taken.
Hell.. he's be the age I am now if the 1st pix was taken when the set was new.

Nick_the_'Nole
12-02-2011, 10:43 PM
I would venture to say it's more likely that Grandpa Demmers was the person who took the photos of the family with the car and 6yr-old Joe, rather than being the kid in the photos.

On a semi-related note, I just can't quite understand why people sell off their family pictures at estate sales. It doesn't seem to be an uncommon thing to do, but it just seems really strange to me.

Reece
12-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Check out Joe's shoes in 1912: get out the button hook. Have you guys ever seen a button hook? One lived in Mama's dresser drawer, unused for decades.

People throwing away family pictures: hard to understand. In an old house about 15 years ago I came across a whole big box full of pictures, negatives, albums, letters, etc. dating from the early 1900's up to about WWII. People left and abandoned a lot of stuff including this. There was basically the whole working life of a maiden aunt of the family who had worked as a nurse in NY state and northern PA, and some in New England. One picture in particular sticks with me: a group of middle aged women in flowered print summer dresses and wide hats, standing against a new '38 Buick parked on the sand of some New England beach, the wind blowing their dresses. I worked for a couple of years trying to locate somebody from that family and finally traced the box back to an antiques dealer. He told me that lots of people abandon stuff like this at estate sales and he ends up with it. I sent it to him. Finding something like that kind of breaks your heart that nobody cared about their past and the people that got them here.

jstout66
12-03-2011, 08:50 AM
I tried to track down these people as well. They lived in Aberdeen,SD (altho pix were at a store in Nebraska)
Here is the final picture I saved from the "Demmers"

wa2ise
12-03-2011, 03:27 PM
People throwing away family pictures: hard to understand. In an old house about 15 years ago I came across a whole big box full of pictures, negatives, albums, letters, etc. dating from the early 1900's up to about WWII. People left and abandoned a lot of stuff including this. ... an antiques dealer. He told me that lots of people abandon stuff like this at estate sales and he ends up with it. I sent it to him. Finding something like that kind of breaks your heart that nobody cared about their past and the people that got them here.

I've heard it said that there's two groupings of deceased people, the first are people that still have living friends and immediate relatives whose lives partly overlaped in time, and the older grouping, who everyone who ever knew or interacted with them are also dead. Like the guy who was the janitor at Independence Hall when they wrote the USA Declaration of Independance.

It's likely the pictures are of people newly in this older grouping.

stromberg6
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting thread about discarded family pictures. Many years ago, I was going through an outbuilding in Rockville CT that was part of the former property of a television pioneer and amateur radio op who ran a ham TV station using pro and home brew NTSC color equipment from the highest peak in town. Not much left, but I did pick up a few pics that appear to be family photos. His name was Al Denson, and he had a few patents on TV circuitry. The vandals had pretty much destroyed any electronics, but there wasn't much left anyway. :tears: