View Full Version : space command ultrasound remotes cross compatible?

USSEnterprise
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Hello.

I have a Zenith Space Command 300 set which I am working on. I do not have the proper remote for it, but I do have a remote for a later, color set. Are the frequencies the same between the old and new, or are they different?

Thanks for any help

Joe

Electronic M
11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
The functions of the buttons may be different, but you should be able to get some of the buttons to work. I have a Zenith two button remote, and an admiral 6 button from different years and the Zenith remote will work on the admiral and vice versa. There are only so many ultrasound frequencies, and manufactuers were not trying to make non-compatible remotes so there is a good chance it will work.

dieseljeep
11-30-2011, 09:52 AM
The functions of the buttons may be different, but you should be able to get some of the buttons to work. I have a Zenith two button remote, and an admiral 6 button from different years and the Zenith remote will work on the admiral and vice versa. There are only so many ultrasound frequencies, and manufactuers were not trying to make non-compatible remotes so there is a good chance it will work.

I used to take the remotes apart and move the chimes around to coinside with the control legends. They also had to be taken apart to reseat the internal parts after they were dropped.

zenithfan1
11-30-2011, 10:11 AM
I may have an extra SC 300 remote in nice shape. IF I find one, twelve bucks and she's yours, that also includes shipping.

kx250rider
11-30-2011, 12:38 PM
All of the Zenith tone bar remotes are interchangeable, except for the function of some of the buttons being different. I thin channel up & down, and on-vol is the same, but some had a double function for tint on the SC600. The battery powered ultrasonic ones work too, but as with the others, have some extra buttons and different functions.

Charles

ggregg
11-30-2011, 12:39 PM
If it's the ones with the hammers and tubes inside, hitting a 10" pot with a wooden spoon got mine to change channels........:lmao:

Jeffhs
11-30-2011, 01:27 PM
I wish I would have known this when I had a Zenith SC300 19" b&w portable in the late '70s. It was a trash day find in my old neighborhood. The set worked (until the horizontal output tube [22JF6 or such] went gassy a year later; could never find a replacement), but the remote was missing. Had I known then that the Zenith ultrasonic remotes were interchangeable with one another, I probably could have gotten the remote functions to work. The rest of the remote system seemed to be there and intact, except there was no manual channel change button or bar on the front of the set (one manually turned the channel selector to change channels) and no manual channel selector knob on the back. It also occurred to me that perhaps the set's former owner may have either disabled or removed the motor drive mechanism from the tuner, possibly after losing the remote (!), since the tuner operated so smoothly -- no resistance from gear drive ratio reduction schemes.

Gunslinger
11-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Just take a set of car keys and shake it near the set. Used to do this in a bar and would piss the bartender off.

Electronic M
11-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Jeffhs, I have a 1964 19" monochrome space command portable that is in good working condition, and can verify that the tuner is smooth all the time with the manual knob. The motor is part solenoid. Meaning that the motor shaft retracts when it is not moveing so it does not mesh with the drive gears on the tuner, and extends when it is moving so that the gear on the end of it can mesh with the gear(s) on the tuner.