View Full Version : '59 RCA 17" metal cabinet set

Adam
11-27-2011, 01:07 AM
This is one of the sets from my recent haul. This set almost worked as found, the initial problem I had with it, blank raster, just turned out to be dirty AGC and contrast controls. But I did the usual recap of paper and electrolytic caps anyway, then just polished up the cabinet. This is a nice looking set, I've been wanting one of these for a while.

compucat
11-27-2011, 06:48 AM
That is a great set. i have always liked that model too. it almost looks like a European design. It is quite a departure from RCAs usual designs. With all those tubes and a power transformer, that appears to be a quality set, on par with Zenith's metal cabinet B&W models.

rcaman
11-27-2011, 08:21 AM
im glad you are happy with the tv sets. steve

Phil Nelson
11-27-2011, 10:13 AM
I really like the look of that cabinet. Sleek and classy, unlike some of the clunky metal tabletops.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Adam
11-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I still think I like my Zeniths better, but for looks this set wins. I'd say this is probably the best looking of all my metal tabletops.

I've noticed that I really do seem to have a preference for late 50s RCA metal tabletops vs. 60s Zenith metal tabletops. I have 5 of the RCAs 56-59, and 7 Zeniths 60-71. No Zeniths older than 60 no RCAs newer than 59.

im glad you are happy with the tv sets. steve

These sets are great. The complete rundown on them is as follows:

'75 plastic RCA 5" - vertical shrink, radio works, clock doesn't
'67 Motorola 12" - no vertical
'56 red RCA 8" - no HV
'58 blue RCA 17" - still untested
'65 Zenith 19" - CRT totally gone to air
CTC 9 - It does occasionally go to a blank raster/no sound like you said, although after it warms up for a while it doesn't. I noticed it only happens on the higher frequency vhf channels 7-13 and not 2-6. Both sound and picture trouble means it has to be back in the video IF or the tuner. If the problem was in the IF, the frequency the set's tuned to wouldn't matter, so I'm thinking it's probably a tube in the tuner. It doesn't really seem like a dirty tuner problem, as in shaking the tuner knob doesn't make much difference. The remote works, sort of, the mechanism really does need to be lubricated and the receiver needs to be aligned.

old_coot88
11-27-2011, 03:10 PM
CTC 9 - It does occasionally go to a blank raster/no sound like you said, although after it warms up for a while it doesn't. I noticed it only happens on the higher frequency vhf channels 7-13 and not 2-6.
Sounds like the mixer/osc. tube since the high channels are dropping out first.

Glenz75
11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Great looking set, the chassis layout reminds me of our native New Zealand black and white TVs that were made in the 1960's. :)
Cheers Glen

Adam
11-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds like the mixer/osc. tube since the high channels are dropping out first.

Yes, I noticed a similar problem with horiz osc tubes when working on those old Motorola 7" electrostatic sets, I had a few 12SN7s that worked just fine in the vertical, but wouldn't work at a higher frequency in the horizontal.

bgadow
11-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I have the twin to this set, but yours looks a lot nicer. I have to pull it apart one of these days as it as a problem with HV arcing. I think the anode lead is just misrouted. The rounded crt with that "briefcase" design just makes for a distinctive look.

rcaman
11-28-2011, 12:09 AM
adam do you even realize how many times you glanced over at the 59 rca. thats why i asked you a couple of times did you see anything else you wanted. i knew it was going to a great home and be nice and warn this winter. steve

zenith2134
11-28-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't blame him for looking at this tv. Look at this freakin' thing !!
Never could I pass on 50's-60's b/w TVs with unique or oddball styling.

Kevin Kuehn
11-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Love the pin striping around the picture tube. Very sharp looking TV. And boy is that thing clean inside.

dieseljeep
11-28-2011, 09:28 AM
The 61 model year set was simular, but had a voltage doubler and silicon rectifiers. Also the first year for the "new vista" tuner. The front and back was made of plastic. Fine performing sets. Metal knobs too!

Adam
11-28-2011, 01:27 PM
This one uses a plastic front but metal back. Tuner knob is metal, others are plastic.

zenithfan1
11-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Those are my favorite late '50s b/w portable! They also had a remote model, it's really neat. I person I know here has one but it's white or kinda off-white and missing the remote. Sugoi ne!

tvtimeisfun
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Hello that is a really neat set I also have one of these set and it works perfect, mine is in as found condition eventually I will have mine recapped..

GeorgeJetson
12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I have the twin to this set, but yours looks a lot nicer. I have to pull it apart one of these days as it as a problem with HV arcing. I think the anode lead is just misrouted. The rounded crt with that "briefcase" design just makes for a distinctive look.

I give up! what set is that color emblem from? Its very cool,love the diamonds!

zenith2134
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I guessed 'penncrest' and was wrong

bgadow
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Kept you guessing long enough-'69 DuMont!