View Full Version : New Guy saying Hi

Grafter
10-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Hello Forum!

I'm new to the group and believe I will be visiting often in the future. I live in Central Texas and have inherited a Magnavox Console that I would like to restore to working condition. I don’t have any real knowledge of electronics, especially older technology like vacuum tubes, but I tend to easily pick up on new concepts. Depending on the complexity of the work, weighed against the cost, I intend to work on the console myself.

I've spent a little time reading through threads relevant to "Maggie's" attempting to learn more about the console sitting in my house.

What I know so far is 1) I think my console is from 1961, and 2) I have a heck of a lot more to learn about it. I 'll be posting a separate thread to discuss my new pet project relatively soon.

So far, I have really enjoyed viewing the many variations of stereos, tv's, and turntables accumulated here. Thanks for the welcome and look forward to learning more from the group!

Thanks,

Curt / Grafter

Electronic M
10-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Welcome aboard!

There are many good knoledgeable folks here willing to help you get that magnovox going.

If that magnovox is a TV then I'd reccomend fixing a tube radio first for practice.

Sandy G
10-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome ! Nice t'have ya !

Grafter
10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Thank you both for the welcome!

If that magnovox is a TV then I'd reccomend fixing a tube radio first for practice.

There is a TV, and a radio........ and tubes everywhere. I see a lot of practice coming my way.

Here is the forum thread link to the monster! (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=252350)

bgadow
10-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Welcome! The good thing about this is you could start with the radio then move on to the TV. My thought is that this isn't the worst set you could start with. By the early 60s black/white sets were pretty much down to a science. Never be afraid to ask a question on here!

bandersen
10-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi Grafter :wave: Welcome to VK and good luck with the Maggie !

consoleguy67
10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Grafter,
Welcome! I'm new here too, and like you, I also have a Magnavox stereo theatre, black and white. Mine is from 1964. I'll be posting pictures of it on VK soon. Best of luck with your project.

Frank