View Full Version : 1986 zenith 27 inch sc2789h

timmy
10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
hi all was just given this zenith but really dont know what to do with it plug it in and you here the b+ and it sounds like some noises coming from the fly area like its trying to start but not the typical ticking that the solid states do. anyone ever heard of this tv and is it worth holding on to and to fix.

radiotvnut
10-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Frankly, I wouldn't spend much time on it as Zenith quality had really gone down the toilet by this point. If you do decide to fix it, check the CRT because there's a good chance it's weak. These tubes are not nearly as bad as the mid '90's tubes; but, Zenith 27" tubes (probably an A68ACT00X) didn't hold up the best.

As far as the power up problem, look for bad caps in the power supply. There was one Zenith single board chassis set from this era that had a small electrolytic cap under a metal shield, at the right front corner of the chassis. When this cap fails, the set will make sounds like it is trying to start. If you leave it on long enough, it may come to life. I can't remember the value; but, it's under a metal shield.

timmy
10-10-2011, 05:29 AM
well i know the person that gave the set to me and was kind of weird about how things worked it had to be perfect and he told me it had a great picture. this set has multiple separate boards, tuner, power supply,ect.

zenith2134
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I once pulled a system 3 from the curb(25" console) from '86 that sounds similar...it had the metal box shield near the horizontal output that radiotvnut mentioned, and all the lytic caps under it were dried up...it did start after replaing those but it looked like crap and i tossed it because I needed the space... mine had the flip-down 'membrane' type channel keypad

bgadow
10-10-2011, 11:01 PM
I've had a few of those given to me in the last couple years. The last one belonged to a retired Zenith dealer; it was his main set but developed a blotchy color problem that he didn't feel like fooling with. I didn't feel like it either, so I gave it to my neighbor as-is. I notice it's still sitting in the corner of his garage, untouched.

They are neat in that they have some character-they are among the last of the pre-BPC sets. But I've never seen one that would perform as well as, say, an RCA from the same era.

timmy
10-11-2011, 05:07 AM
yes this one has the flipdown front with the channels on that you had but this one dont have the caps in that place it has multiple boards.i dont know if i should keep going with it and get it going, but im told it worked very well and the colors were very good.

radiotvnut
10-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Is it the one with the main module on the bottom of the cabinet and the horizontal/HV module standing up to the right of the main module? If that's the one, those can be a real PITA to troubleshoot.

dieseljeep
10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Is it the one with the main module on the bottom of the cabinet and the horizontal/HV module standing up to the right of the main module? If that's the one, those can be a real PITA to troubleshoot.

Isn't that the model, that the main board on the bottom was the same, no matter what model or screen size the set is. There's a lot of those sets around. Swap the board.

radiotvnut
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes, that's the one. I've seen those where one, or both, modules would be bad at the same time and I've seen them where one board would fail and take out the other one. I remember one that would moan and try to come up with all B+ voltages being low. The culprit turned out to be a dead shorted electrolytic cap inside of the electronic tuner module.

timmy
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
well i dont know im still debating if i should look further as i checked a few caps on the power supply board and diodes and so far nothing looks bad, it could be on the main board that has the fly, hot and so on.

radiotvnut
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
What's the number of the main module (9-xxx)?