View Full Version : How old is my Zenith clock radio?

venivdvici
09-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I bought an old clock radio a few years ago, because it looked cool. I was wondering how old it was. This is the info I got off it.

Zenith clock radio, model C624W, serial # Z76348, Chassis 6C03, Current .3 amperes, 117 volts, 60 Cycle AC, 30 Watts

Thanks.

ON EDIT:
Never mind. I found it here. Looks like it's 1959. I'm still older!
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_c624w_c_624_w_ch6c03_6_c.html

Sandy G
09-21-2011, 07:15 AM
A LOT of those old Zeniths don't know they're old & not sposed to work anymore, so they just keep on a-truckin'....(grin)

venivdvici
09-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah. It doesn't receive anything in the house but it does turn on and make static noises. I should try it outside with an extension cord to see if I can get some reception.:scratch2:

Jeffhs
09-21-2011, 12:08 PM
With its 6-tube chassis, shielded antenna and all, your Zenith C624 clock radio should be getting everything from Maine to Miami, especially at night -- figuratively speaking, of course. Did you check to see that the antenna is connected? If all you're hearing inside your house with this radio is static and noise, a broken antenna connection sounds very likely. If this is indeed the case, taking the radio outside won't help anything -- you will still hear the same static/noise as you do in the house. If reconnecting the antenna doesn't help (or if the antenna connections are OK), however, there may be a weak or dead tube somewhere in the set, in the signal circuits. Do you hear anything at all, even strong local stations? If so, the radio is working up to a point, but still not as the designer intended. Another possibility is that a component between the antenna and the grid of the RF amp tube is open; this of course will kill all reception. However, I'd look at the antenna before suspecting anything else. Many times it's the simple things that cause the most trouble, and that are so often overlooked.

Electronic M
09-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Metal buildings are real bad signal killers.

venivdvici
09-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Jeff!
I just turned it on again and played with it. I'm now able to get a local station! Still some static until I moved around the metal thingy in the back at bit and played with dial some more. Woo hoo! I thought it kinda worked when I first got it. I use it for its decorative value. I can't see any antenna and don't know where it would be. I also don't know where the am-fm setting is.

Pretty cool. If I recall, I paid $35 for this. What a sturdy little sucker!

I think I have bad radio reception here anyway. I always use my computer or Roku when I want to hear a radio station.

Electronic M
09-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Most tube AM radios don't have a teloscoping metal antenna, but rather a large loop of wire about the size of the back (usually mounted on the back) or a smaller ferrite core coil as an antenna.

dieseljeep
09-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I hate to say this, but you might have an IF transformer that has silver mica disease. It's a slang term for the resonating capacitors arcing in the base of the IF thansformers. I have to look at the schematics to get an idea. If they're genuine Zenith IF cans, they're easier to change the caps. The radio will exhibit an extreme amount of static while receiving a signal.

David Roper
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I also don't know where the am-fm setting is.

Uh oh . . . I don't quite know how to tell you this . . . .

Electronic M
09-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Many sets into the 60's did not have FM, and this appears to be one of them. FM added a lot of cost to tube sets, and was not very big untill the 70's so would be left out on some sets to keep the price down.

Tom C.

dieseljeep
09-21-2011, 09:11 PM
That radio was built around 1960. At that time there wasn't that many FM stations around. That radio you have was probably the TOTL clock radio at the time. Sold for around $50. Zenith made a seven tube AM/FM clock radio at the same time that was around $80.00.

venivdvici
09-21-2011, 10:55 PM
If there's an antenna, it must be inside. I'm not taking the back off. I don't want to get silver mica disease.
Most tube AM radios don't have a teloscoping metal antenna, but rather a large loop of wire about the size of the back (usually mounted on the back) or a smaller ferrite core coil as an antenna.

venivdvici
09-21-2011, 10:57 PM
I hope it's not contagious! Actually, I don't use it as a radio. It's too pretty. Maybe I should, though. The station I got was a local one and it wasn't very staticy.

I hate to say this, but you might have an IF transformer that has silver mica disease. It's a slang term for the resonating capacitors arcing in the base of the IF thansformers. I have to look at the schematics to get an idea. If they're genuine Zenith IF cans, they're easier to change the caps. The radio will exhibit an extreme amount of static while receiving a signal.

venivdvici
09-21-2011, 11:01 PM
I forgot FM wasn't always around. I don't think the crystal rocket radio I had as a child had FM either. I listened to it while it was clipped to a chain link fence. People probably thought I had a thing for fences back then.

Uh oh . . . I don't quite know how to tell you this . . . .

venivdvici
09-21-2011, 11:13 PM
It has a circle with 35C5 inside it. Another circle with 12AV6 inside it. Another with 35W4, another with 12BA6, another with 12E6, and another with 12A6. There's also an empty circle, two empty squares, and a lower right corner area with what looks like paint brushes.

dieseljeep
09-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Maybe one of the VK'ers near you could help you out with the repair of that radio. It's a high quality set and and would be great as a daily driver.

venivdvici
09-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Maybe. Thanks. Nice to know I have something of quality.

Maybe one of the VK'ers near you could help you out with the repair of that radio. It's a high quality set and and would be great as a daily driver.