View Full Version : Help with an RCA CTC-117a Model EJR338WR No Power

mpatoray
09-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi all,

I just re acquired my grandparents old bedroom tv, it is an RCA 13" Colortrak made 11/83

Wen plugged in there is a momentary power draw IE a spark when plugged in but the power switch is dead, as is the remote.

I was looking at it and i noticed there seems to be what looks to be a power relay on a small removable module. I measured the coil resistance of teh relay at 500 ohms, what is it supposed to be on that relay?

Is this little set worth putting any time/effort into, i kind of like the way it looks, and it will be my first RCA since our CTC-40.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v97/macman/?action=view&amp;current=ee3c756a.jpg" target="_blank">

Matt

radiotvnut
09-18-2011, 03:16 PM
It's been a long time since I worked on one of those; but, the relay coil sounds OK. From what you describe, the most likely trouble is the tuner control module. These modules were known to have bad solder connections on the plugs and wirewrap stakes inside the module. Also, I seem to remember an on/off transistor inside the module that would fail and cause a dead set. Even 20 years ago, those modules cost out the butt and I tried to repair as many of them as I could.

mpatoray
09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks,

I check that out, does anyone have a Sams for it?

Here is a picture of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/macman/ee3c756a.jpg

bgadow
09-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Post any part numbers you might need-I have a lot of NOS RCA stuff from the 70s/80s.

zenith2134
09-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I , too, had a CTC117A . It was a 1983; 19" electronic tuner with OSD...It had wavy lines caused by a dry b+ capacitor can...I regret giving this set away, especially since I know for sure it has been tossed by now.

holmesuser01
09-19-2011, 08:05 AM
When you open up the tuner enclosure, you should see pin soldering that is discolored, and/or has a dark crack around it. Also, resolder all the ground connections you find in there, too.

When you find any discolored pins, resolder all the connections on the connector. Go slow and be meticulous.

I've found that alot of problems will be solved by doing this. Even OSD problems!

Is the CTC-117 one of the ones that had a thermister under the chassis that would burn open?

Gunslinger
09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
If memory serves me correct, if you unplug the tuner control module fron the main board, the set should fire up. Damn, it's been a long time.

radiotvnut
09-19-2011, 05:35 PM
If memory serves me correct, if you unplug the tuner control module fron the main board, the set should fire up. Damn, it's been a long time.

I think you are correct. If the set fires up, that will eliminate the main chassis as the problem.

holmesuser01
09-19-2011, 09:02 PM
I Never Knew That!! OMG! You learn stuff here on VK everyday!!

mpatoray
09-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip,

No im going to sound dumb here but, we are talking about unplugging the 1 cable that come out of the box that plugs into the tuner(not the tuner itself I known what that is) and then what the set just turns on?

Sorry to sound daft, this is my first RCA I have ever worked on, also does anyone have a service manual or a sams for it?

Matt

Tony V
09-19-2011, 11:36 PM
I had one of these. It would cut on by itself with the sound full blast on a dead channel. Talk about being being jolted out of a dead sleep! The first time it happened, it about gave me a heart attack. Come to find out it was just like mentioned here. Bad solder connections. Had a great picture on it though...

zenith2134
09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
My grandparents had a TV when I was growing up that would turn on in the middle of the night at high volume too. It was a Sears branded 19" in the spare bedroom...I used to unplug it before I spent the night at their house!