View Full Version : Webster Chicago Record Player/Projector Combo

Calavera
09-03-2011, 03:28 AM
I have a Webster Chicago Sound Company portable projector and record player, from what I've heard this was used at a car dealership to train the salesmen, this is probably true since there is 2 Dodge Training filmstrips included. I have looked and looked and can not find any information about it. I thought somebody here might be able to help me.

I have a video slideshow of it up on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeRS6gTkWQc

If anybody has any information about it I would be very grateful. Thanks.

radiotvnut
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Nice unit! I'm guessing that it's probably from the late '30's.

Calavera
09-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Any idea of the value? I'd like to sell it.

radiotvnut
09-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I assume that it's in non-working, unrestored playing condition. If so, I wouldn't expect to get more than $20-$30 for it, on a good day. It all depends on who sees it and how bad they want it. I've seen many brands of projector/record player combinations on ebay and they usually don't bring much, if they sell at all. If you decide to restore it, do so only if you plan to keep it. One can easily spend $75-$100 on parts to properly restore an old record player and it's often hard to get the investment back when trying to sell it.

Calavera
09-03-2011, 10:32 PM
The projector works and the record spins, there is a loud hum that comes from the speaker though.

radiotvnut
09-04-2011, 12:43 AM
The hum is caused by bad capacitors in the amplifier. Also, the pick-up cartridge is likely bad and would either need to be rebuilt or replaced.