View Full Version : Estate sale find: Zenith 25MC33

miniman82
08-26-2011, 09:18 PM
This is one of the sets I got recently from that sale in Chicago. It's a 25MC33, with pushbutton tuning that works. It didn't want to do anything the first time I plugged it in, all I got was 60Hz buzz in the speaker and faint HV sound. 4 new filter caps and a focus rectifier later, I get this on the screen! Looks pretty damn good if you ask me, and the CRT tests like brand new with great life test for all 3 guns. Vertical height and linearity still need to be adjusted, but not too shabby for only 4 caps swapped out. :yes:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171423&d=1314411305

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171424&d=1314411305

There's still another set from the sale I need to dig into, I suspect that one will be in about the same condition as this one. It was in the living room though, so perhaps the CRT has a little more use on it than this one did. This one looks like it was installed and never used again, it's crazy.

Electronic M
08-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Niiice!
Wish I had hopped to it and got there early the first day to snag one of the roundy Zeniths.

Amazing how few parts it needed. Now I know why the old repair man who taught me to fix radios reccomended Zenith when I asked him which was the best vintage color TV for some one starting out.

You planning to keep one Nick?

Tom C.

damen
08-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Looks great:yes: Seem like a lot of Zenith roundie sets have been found lately I got 2 in one month and you and a few others have picked up some.:beerchug:

miniman82
08-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Early bird gets the worm, Tom. :smoke:
You got some nice sets too, you're lucky I'm not into B&W anymore! :scratch2:
No, I plan to sell both. This one will probably be gone this weekend, and Mark says he'd like the other. If either deal falls through, they will be posted in the classifieds. I'm an RCA guy, so no room for Zeniths in my life. :smoke:

Found the vertical height pot, it's in the center of the brightness control. Looks much better at full height now, but I can't find the lin pot to make it perfect.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171427&d=1314419818

zenithfan1
08-27-2011, 05:31 PM
The lin pot is inside of the hole in the middle of the control panel where is looks like there is a shaft missng but doesn't line up with the other holes. You CAN"T miss it:D

miniman82
08-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Bah, there it is! Lin corrected, this thing has a really nice picture. I can't figure out what these vertical stripes are tho, possible Y ringing or flyback noise making into the video? None of the tubes have shields on them, that probably doesn't help any. It's definitely not color related.

Segway: this silly thing has a color killer circuit AND and pull out knob that turns color off. Guess they wanted to be extra sure about B&W reception, huh?

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=171432&d=1314489010

ChrisW6ATV
08-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Nice set!

ohohyodafarted
08-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Nice looking set Nick. I had a strong hunch that the hum we heard was a bad filter. Glad it was so simple of a fix. Seems odd that they would put a motor driven tuner in a set without a remote. Are you sure that it dosen't have remote capabilities? Maybe all you need is the "clicker" Does it say "space command" anywhere on the front of the set?

dieseljeep
08-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't see a remote chassis in it! Zenith did that alot. Motor driven tuner without remote.

miniman82
08-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Probably wouldn't be hard to stick a remote chassis in it, but I need the set gone. I don't have room for this or the other one, so I'll put it up for sale. Kinda wish I did have more time to spend on it, I traced the vertical bars to the luma channel. Wonder what's going on there?

DaveWM
08-29-2011, 11:10 AM
thats not the "jail house bars" I read about when a blanking diode goes bad is it?

dieseljeep
08-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Niiice!
Wish I had hopped to it and got there early the first day to snag one of the roundy Zeniths.

Amazing how few parts it needed. Now I know why the old repair man who taught me to fix radios reccomended Zenith when I asked him which was the best vintage color TV for some one starting out.

You planning to keep one Nick?

Tom C.

Now's your chance to get the set. Nick is very reasonable to deal with.

miniman82
08-29-2011, 02:17 PM
thats not the "jail house bars" I read about when a blanking diode goes bad is it?

No idea, I don't have a schematic for it so I've come about as far as I can. If anyone has the schematic for it, I could do more troubleshooting.

DaveWM
08-29-2011, 03:27 PM
I checked that one does not have the blanking diodes. I would try another
6U10 (gets the horz blanking pulse from one of the cathodes of that tube), and check the 560k resistor on one side of the brightness pot which goes to the 6U10. That is assuming the issue is lack of blanking during horz retrace. I noticed later models changed the resistor on the cathode of that 6U10 from 100 to 330 ohms, perhaps to provide a stronger pulse?

Username1
09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey I got one of those with the motor tuner 25MC33 but no marking on the picture tube, what number should be in that set? How is the sound I see that set has bass treble knobs.......?

miniman82
09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Sound is great, I like that I can adjust the tone. Mine has a 21FJP22 in it.

Username1
09-04-2011, 10:49 PM
thank you!